TEAM SHELBY FORUM

99 MPH Ticket Dismissed

As some may know, there were three stragglers coming down from LV to the Bash to join up with the group in Gardina. The 40th was leading a SS and brand new Terlingua (which it should) cruising right at 70+ in the fast lane in Riverside. We start to crest a hill and a Silver Ford Flex hauling a$$ flies around me and then right at the top of the hill cuts me off and jumps in the fast lane. Sitting at the side of the road is a CHP. He immediately flips on the lights and pulls me over. My two buds, whose names begin with Mark and Mike, keep cruising on down the road. Officer asks, do you know how fast you were going. I said, yes, 70. "Right, I clocked you at 99. I say, "no way" We go back and forth, I lose the argument.

Anyway, I explain that to the officer he is mistaken, it was the Flex, not me doing 99. Right. He writes me up anyway, but he sees the "Carroll Shelby" signature on the airbag when he is handing me the ticket and says that he will give me a break if I fight the ticket by "trial by declaration". Which is a trial by mail. He says if I figtht it, he won't respond because he likes Mr. Shelby.

Got the decision on Saturday, a man of his word. Ticket dismissed. I just have to finish driving school to clear the other ticket I got the next week in Texasfor 80 in a 50 and I'll have a clean record again, but that is another story.

"40th leading the SS and a brand new Terlingua (as it should) " Best line of the year on the forum.

As much as I appreciate law enforcement, I just don't understand chicken- s--t tickets like that. Why write the thing just to tell you how to get rid of it.? Just a waste of everyone's time and money. Glad you got it dismissed.

Don, glad to here things worked out for ya, my experience was a little different because I was guilty.

Last January Scott (Stangfever) and his wife flew down from MI. to visit his parents in Tampa and attend the Sliver Springs car show with me. On Saturday morning we arrived and he helped me unload the car. It was the coldest day of the winter and after seeing most of the cars decided we had enough of the cold and loaded up to head back to my house and spend the weekend. Sunday morning Scott wanted to take the car out for a ride and see how my new 305's hooked up. As we were coming up on a bridge about two miles long I told Scott there is usually a cop at the bottom of the bridge. As we were coming down you could see everywhere and there was no cop to be had, no cars, no people no nothing. So we get to the bottom and there is a little park and we turn around to head back. Well this looks perfect, no cars for miles,as I turn back on the highway to head back I punched it. Tires hook up just fine and a few seconds later I see 120 and give her a little more pedal. As we approach the crest of the bridge I start braking and look in the rear view mirror, and who's coming up on me about a 1/4 mile back with his red and blue lights? I looked at Scott and said we were probably going 130 or 140 and they would take me to jail and he would have to drive the car back to the house. The Trooper would not let us out of the car and kept saying it was a real nice Shelby. He was very pleasant and I told him we were working on the boost and trying it out. He said the boost was working just fine. As he was writing the ticket in his SUV I had all these terrible thoughts going through my head. He finally walks up again to the window and said I was going 70, and he wrote the ticket doing 59 in a 45. I just about had my second heart attack of the morning. He said again nice Shelby and because of my perfect driving record I could pay the 108.00 fine, take an online driving school course and it would not be on my driving record. I did take the school and passed the test and today there is no record anywhere. I asked him where in the world was he hiding and he wouldn't tell. The other Don

Don, glad to here things worked out for ya, my experience was a little different because I was guilty.

Last January Scott (Stangfever) and his wife flew down from MI. to visit his parents in Tampa and attend the Sliver Springs car show with me. On Saturday morning we arrived and he helped me unload the car. It was the coldest day of the winter and after seeing most of the cars decided we had enough of the cold and loaded up to head back to my house and spend the weekend. Sunday morning Scott wanted to take the car out for a ride and see how my new 305's hooked up. As we were coming up on a bridge about two miles long I told Scott there is usually a cop at the bottom of the bridge. As we were coming down you could see everywhere and there was no cop to be had, no cars, no people no nothing. So we get to the bottom and there is a little park and we turn around to head back. Well this looks perfect, no cars for miles,as I turn back on the highway to head back I punched it. Tires hook up just fine and a few seconds later I see 120 and give her a little more pedal. As we approach the crest of the bridge I start braking and look in the rear view mirror, and who's coming up on me about a 1/4 mile back with his red and blue lights? I looked at Scott and said we were probably going 130 or 140 and they would take me to jail and he would have to drive the car back to the house. The Trooper would not let us out of the car and kept saying it was a real nice Shelby. He was very pleasant and I told him we were working on the boost and trying it out. He said the boost was working just fine. As he was writing the ticket in his SUV I had all these terrible thoughts going through my head. He finally walks up again to the window and said I was going 70, and he wrote the ticket doing 59 in a 45. I just about had my second heart attack of the morning. He said again nice Shelby and because of my perfect driving record I could pay the 108.00 fine, take an online driving school course and it would not be on my driving record. I did take the school and passed the test and today there is no record anywhere. I asked him where in the world was he hiding and he wouldn't tell. The other Don

Most of us know what to do and not do around these VERY well known bacon traps! gallery_22226_698_6372.gif

What Don failed to mention was how badly the sweat was rolling off his face when he thought he was going to :angry22: My thoughts at that point turned to, hmmmm this will be sweet as I'll get to :shift: his 40th home.

He also high tailed it to change his drawers when we arrived back at his house. :hysterical:

You should have seen the laughter from his wife when he tried to explain what had transpired at the WELL known trap in town :hysterical3:

I just have to finish driving school to clear the other ticket I got the next week in Texasfor 80 in a 50 and I'll have a clean record again, but that is another story.

Should have told them it was the "Silver Flex" that was doing 80 and made

sure they took notice of your signed dash............

Could have saved traffic school for the next one????????? :hysterical:

Great news Don's. Dang guys those were some close calls. Nice to see ya getting some respect from the LEO's for the Shelby. I will have to remember that. Something like "Afternoon officer, did you happen to see Carroll Shelby's signature there on the dash?" :hysterical2:

• 2 weeks later...

Don, glad that worked out for you.

Just dont expect to be that lucky in a National Park. Trust me on that one!

Well, one big difference :shift: (shifting from 5th th 6th or was it 4th to 5th?) the 120 in the 30 was legit :-)

Archived