TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What kind of oil filter came on my car from the factory

9599svt

I just changed my oil for the first time (500 miles on the car) and was surprised at the oil filter that was on it. It was not a normal (new or old style) FL-820S, but instead a very heavy duty version with a cast rather than stamped inside, a lot longer internal spring, and the only marking on it is of a garbage can with an X through it. The filter weighs significintly more than the old style Fl-820S that I replaced it with. Does everyone have this filter on there car from the factory? Also is this maybe the Ford racing filter? Any info would be appreciated, because it definitly seems like a superior filter compared to what I put back on, which is what the manual calls for??

i had mine on the lift last week putting on exhaust and i noticed mine had the same type of filter. plain white with nothing wrote on it. i am waiting on my FRPP filters to arrive and i will let everyone know the differences. I will also try to get some pics

i had mine on the lift last week putting on exhaust and i noticed mine had the same type of filter. plain white with nothing wrote on it. i am waiting on my FRPP filters to arrive and i will let everyone know the differences. I will also try to get some pics

What is the FRPP number for our oil filter? I looked

on their website and the filters say no longer available.

thanks.

What is the FRPP number for our oil filter? I looked

on their website and the filters say no longer available.

thanks.

I just checked the Ford Racing oil filter sitting on my shelf and it has the part number CM-6731-FL820, which the Ford Racing site indicates is no longer available.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=7567

However the M-6731-FL820 filter is available; I don't know what the difference is.

I just checked the Ford Racing oil filter sitting on my shelf and it has the part number CM-6731-FL820, which the Ford Racing site indicates is no longer available.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=7567

However the M-6731-FL820 filter is available; I don't know what the difference is.

The difference is the 'C' stands for case...as in sold by the case.

The production filters are made by champion labs (not affiliated with the spark plug) to Ford spec. The Motorcraft filters are made by Purolator to Ford spec. These are not Ford racing filters. To the best of my knowledge they are the same internally. It's not uncommon for Ford to have more than one supplier for the same part to avoid supply disruptions.

Motorcraft recently reduced the overall height of the FL-820S oil filters.

On the left is the old style filter next to the new style. The new one is about 1/4" shorter.

IMG_3684.jpg

I just started using the Ford Racing filter, which shares a similar size envelope with the old Motorcraft filter.

IMG_4648.jpg

You'll see a HUGE difference between the Ford Racing Filter and the standard FL 820s. That's what I'm running on my car. I figure my GT500 engine is worth the cost of a tall Starbucks Coffee and a pumpkin scone.

You'll see a HUGE difference between the Ford Racing Filter and the standard FL 820s. That's what I'm running on my car. I figure my GT500 engine is worth the cost of a tall Starbucks Coffee and a pumpkin scone.

What's a good price for the Ford Racing Filter? Did you order yours online from somewhere?

What's a good price for the Ford Racing Filter? Did you order yours online from somewhere?

Ordered on line from Downs Ford in NJ, 1-800-378-3673. They charged me $11.00 each plus shipping. My local dealership wanted $14.95 each. I ordered 4 of them, should have ordered a couple of more to offset the shippping.

Huge difference how? Is the filtering media higher microns then the FL820S filter? Does the race filter have more capacity? Would want some more info to justify going from $4 bucks a filter or so to $11+

The only evaluation I have seen is presented at this site. It's done by an individual, not a laboratory, but it shows some good comparisons with photos.

The Ford Racing filter appears to have more filter media surface area than the standard FL-820S; many more pleats and greater pleat depth. I didn't see any filter efficiency numbers for the media.

http://home.mindspring.com/~ed_white/id7.html

• 3 weeks later...

Archived