TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need a favor from a KR Owner

Rarecat

Mike, I assume you got it realigned, yes? If so, what specs? Stock?

I'm looking forward to the install - I'm just waiting for the sway bars from Maximum to come. I never wanted the drop that the FRPP kit provides. Too low, as pussyfooting to avoid damage isn't something I'd look forward to being concerned about. The KR drop is almost just right.

Tob

Right now I have reinstalled the factory camber bolts. I'm going to let it settle some and then recheck everything. From my measurements the front settled another 1/8 of an inch. I think you'll be happy with the setup.

Thanks Mike

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ordered up KR suspension pieces. Any word on the front sway bar? Is it the same one you can buy at Ford racing?

Nothing yet. I'm pretty sure it's not the FRPP's. I currently have Eibach bars so no big deal for me. I just wanted to do the complete package.

Thanks Mike

Nothing yet. I'm pretty sure it's not the FRPP's. I currently have Eibach bars so no big deal for me. I just wanted to do the complete package.

Thanks Mike

Kind of strange. Looking back, the KR mufflers showed up out of no where, there was a big stink, a lot of vendors said get them while the getting was good. Heard SAI quashed the ability of anyone other than themselves to sell them. Yet they are still found all over the place.

Now the suspension pieces pop up. The same senerio as the mufflers. Get them before SAI stops the vendors from selling them.

Can anyone tell me if the mufflers or shocks/struts/springs on the "restricted parts list" for the KR? I thought it was only the hood/splitter/badging that was on the restricted list??? I'd sure like to get ahold of the front sway bar to complete the package.

Also can anyone from SAI or an owner tell me if the alignment of the KR is dialed in differently than a regular GT500?

Thanks

Did you find all the numbers you need? I just read this post, I would be glad to help if I can.

I'd love to know the part number on the front sway bar, confirm the back sway bar is not changed out from a regular GT500, and have someone in the know tell me if the sway bar is a resticted part!

Thanks,

I'd love to know the part number on the front sway bar, confirm the back sway bar is not changed out from a regular GT500, and have someone in the know tell me if the sway bar is a resticted part!

Thanks,

Stand by while I go out and look

Jody

Reat Sway Bar Tag

Left

CO24.0...............................This is "C" and "O" as in "OH Shoot" and then 24. ZERO.

7R3V

5A771

CA

R648B ........................... Rear Sway Bar Tag numbers are now corrected in this post.

Right Rear shock

8R3V-18080

BA

KR

1A13329-A

Diff. Cover

I think this is different from the stock GT500, based on the photos in OCD's topic "Round one Completed", my differential cover is different than his post when his rear axle was in the rusted photo.

Al5110C02FE

7L2W

4A028-AB

Jody

Reat Sway Bar Tag

Left C

5A771

CA

R648B

Right Rear shock

8R3V-18080

BA

KR

1A13329-A

Diff. Cover

I think this is different from the stock GT500, based on the photos in OCD's topic "Round one Completed", my differential cover is different than his post when his rear axle was in the rusted photo.

Al5110C02FE

7L2W

4A028-AB

Jody

Thanks Jody!

Thanks Jody!

Let me know if you find anything on the sway bars.

Also I read somewhere there was more negative camber but I'll have to try and find it. Of course I read the rear sway bar was different too and I've been told it is not.

Thanks Mike

Let me know if you find anything on the sway bars.

Also I read somewhere there was more negative camber but I'll have to try and find it. Of course I read the rear sway bar was different too and I've been told it is not.

Thanks Mike

Hey Mike,

I remember reading something about more negative camber as well.

Went to my Fav Ford parts guy up here in Canada. Gave him the numbers Jody gave us with no other information. The front sway bar comes back belonging to a Ford Mustang GT 4.6. Comes complete with bushings etc. No end links. But they didn't change the end links did they? Orders out of the USA for just over 300 bucks. The dif cover also orders out of the USA for 80+ dollars.

The rear sway bar is missing some numbers according to him. Maybe Jody can re-check nothing else was on the rear bar or maybe the numbers were typed in wrong in Jody's post????

Imagine that, a GT's front sway bar????? Does that make sense to anyone>??

Hey Mike,

I remember reading something about more negative camber as well.

Went to my Fav Ford parts guy up here in Canada. Gave him the numbers Jody gave us with no other information. The front sway bar comes back belonging to a Ford Mustang GT 4.6. Comes complete with bushings etc. No end links. But they didn't change the end links did they? Orders out of the USA for just over 300 bucks. The dif cover also orders out of the USA for 80+ dollars.

The rear sway bar is missing some numbers according to him. Maybe Jody can re-check nothing else was on the rear bar or maybe the numbers were typed in wrong in Jody's post????

Rear Sway Bar

Tag label in this order from top to bottom.

"Left"

"CO24.0"...................................This is "C" and "O" as in "Oh shoot" and then 24. ZERO

"7R3V"

"5A771"

"CA"

"R648B"

I put in quotes because that is the exact order they are on the tag.

copied it off my 6 yr old daughters notes she took as I read the numbers off to her while I was under the car. That is why there was an error on the first post. The other items my wife wrote the numbers as I read them.

Hey Mike,

I remember reading something about more negative camber as well....

In this article (2009 GT500 Experience), it mentions: "Converting a GT500 to KR spec involves adding dampers with firmer rebound valving, stiffer spring rates, an alignment with more negative camber (1.4 degrees versus the GT500's 0.75) and zero toe-in."

I believe that the KR may use the Mustang GT anti-sway bar up front... I need to measure and compare to the stock ones from my '08 Bullitt.

I'm wondering what the KR spring rates are; anyone know?

Rear Sway Bar

Tag label in this order from top to bottom.

"Left"

"CO24.0"...................................This is "C" and "O" as in "Oh shoot" and then 24. ZERO

"7R3V"

"5A771"

"CA"

"R648B"

I put in quotes because that is the exact order they are on the tag.

copied it off my 6 yr old daughters notes she took as I read the numbers off to her while I was under the car. That is why there was an error on the first post. The other items my wife wrote the numbers as I read them.

I think thats it Jody. I believe we were missing the first numbers, 7R3V, in your first post. It'll be interesting to see what this comes up as.

In this article (2009 GT500 Experience), it mentions: "Converting a GT500 to KR spec involves adding dampers with firmer rebound valving, stiffer spring rates, an alignment with more negative camber (1.4 degrees versus the GT500's 0.75) and zero toe-in."

I believe that the KR may use the Mustang GT anti-sway bar up front... I need to measure and compare to the stock ones from my '08 Bullitt.

I'm wondering what the KR spring rates are; anyone know?

Thats what I read. Installing the springs and using the factory bolts has some negative camber visually. I have some +/- 1.5 degree camber bolts that I can swap in to get those specs too.

I have an 05 GT front sway bar in storage....interesting ..

In case anyone's curious, I measured 34.0mm on my KR's front anti-sway bar. That's the same O.D. as the Mustang GT's, from what I understand (I'd have to actually measure the stockers from my Bullitt, but they're in storage). I don't know if the wall thickness (it's tubular), steel spec, or heat treatment is the same, but it likely is the same bar as on the GT & GT-500.

The rear bar on my KR measures 23.85mm, which I think is a little thinner than the regular GT-500's, which I understand measures 24mm... Is that correct (guys with non-KR GT-500s)?

In case anyone's curious, I measured 34.0mm on my KR's front anti-sway bar. That's the same O.D. as the Mustang GT's, from what I understand (I'd have to actually measure the stockers from my Bullitt, but they're in storage). I don't know if the wall thickness (it's tubular), steel spec, or heat treatment is the same, but it likely is the same bar as on the GT & GT-500.

The rear bar on my KR measures 23.85mm, which I think is a little thinner than the regular GT-500's, which I understand measures 24mm... Is that correct (guys with non-KR GT-500s)?

Hey Jody, thanks for checking that rear sway bar number again. I'll run it through my parts guy in the am and see what it comes back as. I can't get under my GT500 right now but would love to know the diameter of the front and rear sway bars on the car to compare. I thought I heard the back was thicker than the KR's and read in a Shelby mag "Building the KR" they up'd the thickness on front for the KR's. MEaning the GT500 and the KR are opposite....... the GT500 being thinner in the front and thicker in the back. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks old lugs for finding the info about the neg camber, same article as I remember reading.

I wonder if the rear sway bar, being thinner.....is sourced from a V6 ???

Hi everyone. From the research I have done, the specifications for front and rear sway bars are as follows:

2005-2009 Mustang GT

Front: 34.0mm tubular

Rear: 20.0mm solid

2007-2009 Shelby GT500

Front: 34.0mm tubular

Rear: 24.0 solid

The part number for the GT front sway bar (6R3Z5482B) returns a description for both the GT 4.6L and the GT500 5.4L, which may suggest they are the same part?

In a GT500KR article it was mentioned that in addition to slightly stiffer springs and rebound damping nearly twice that of a GT500, a lighter-rate front sway bar was fitted.

The 2005-2009 Mustang GT from the factory came with built in understeer and the fix was to only upgrade the rear sway bar to help neutralize the car. The engineers obviously applied this to the GT500, given the larger rear sway bar. It seems as though the size of the front sway bar for the GT, GT500, & GT500KR is the same size. My best guess is that the wall thickness or the metal for the KR's front sway bar is a lighter rate, thus helping to neutralize the car.

Rob

I'm not wasting my time trying to track down KR sway bars. I'm going with larger front and rear bars from H&R, through Maximum Motorsport. Higher quality steel, superior bushing technology, and larger diameters both front and rear.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1270

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=309_340_408&products_id=1269

As for the struts/springs/shocks, I give a thumbs up all the way. I don't buy the aforementioned increase in rebound though. The net change to ride quality is negligible, AFAIC.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/shelby-gt500-150/689714-bits-pieces-kr-more.html

I'm not wasting my time trying to track down KR sway bars. I'm going with larger front and rear bars from H&R, through Maximum Motorsport. Higher quality steel, superior bushing technology, and larger diameters both front and rear.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1270

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=309_340_408&products_id=1269

Tob, before you buy those H&R bars, you may want to check out the hollow and adjustable bar set from Sam Strano: Strano's Bars. Supposedly, the only set on the market with a hollow and adjustable rear, besides the Hotchkis bars, but in a size more appropriate for the average S197 car (says Sam). Sam seems to think that even the stock 24mm rear bar on the GT-500s is a bit too stiff, so went with a 22mm bar in his set. Can't hurt to have a look. That lighter rear bar may help keep both rear tires on the ground a little better.. For those who've never heard of Sam, he manages to go pretty fast around cones, and holds several national autocross titles.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, here is what I have discovered regarding the KR sway bars.

A lot has been mentioned about this size and that size. However, they are a different Ford part number from what is on the GT500 and the GT. They are available for anyone wanting to have the complete KR suspension set up.

The rear sway bar on the KR reads;

Left

CO24.0

7R3V

5A771

CA

R648B

This translates into Ford part number 7R3Z 5A772 A

The front sway bar on the KR reads;

7R33

BA

R644B

This translates into Ford part number 6R3Z 5482 B

OK, here is what I have discovered regarding the KR sway bars.

A lot has been mentioned about this size and that size. However, they are a different Ford part number from what is on the GT500 and the GT. They are available for anyone wanting to have the complete KR suspension set up.

The rear sway bar on the KR reads;

Left

CO24.0

7R3V

5A771

CA

R648B

This translates into Ford part number 7R3Z 5A772 A

The front sway bar on the KR reads;

7R33

BA

R644B

This translates into Ford part number 6R3Z 5482 B

Thanks for the info. They rear bar also shows to be a 2010 peice and the front shows to be a standard GT peice, at least thats what the online Ford Parts shows. Does that sound correct?

Thanks Mike

Thanks for the info. They rear bar also shows to be a 2010 peice and the front shows to be a standard GT peice, at least thats what the online Ford Parts shows. Does that sound correct?

Thanks Mike

I'm not sure about the rear being the same as the 2010. But despite what some on this thread have said, I am positive the front is different than what is on either a GT or GT500. This based on the stamping numbers on the part, not the size of the bar.

It is its own distict part. On the computer it refers to the front sway as being upgraded or something to that effect......compared to the normal GT500 sway bar. If you want the KR specific bar, with the same stamping as on the KR, these are the numbers to order by.

In Canada, each bar is over 400 dollars. I'd be real interested to know what the cost of these parts are in the US if anyone can find out. The high cost compared to what the aftermarket offers is the only thing that has kept me from ordering thus far. It would sure be nice to get them though. Then you'd have the exact same suspension set up as a 100K MSRP Mustang.

I asked buyfordracing if they are considering selling these parts to complement the KR shocks/springs/struts they are selling but they said the shipping costs on the sway bars would make it impractical.

Why would you ever spend that kind of coin just to say that you have KR parts on your non-KR?

Save money and buy some much higher quality parts such as the bars from H&R. I use them along with the rest of the KR suspension pieces and couldn't be more satisfied with their price, appearance, and performance.

Tob

Why would you ever spend that kind of coin just to say that you have KR parts on your non-KR?

Save money and buy some much higher quality parts such as the bars from H&R. I use them along with the rest of the KR suspension pieces and couldn't be more satisfied with their price, appearance, and performance.

Tob

That was exactly what I was thinking too. Why buying KR shocks and springs while you can buy a way better coil over suspension kit from Eibach or H&R. Those are superior in suspension technique. I have the Eibach/Koni DA kit from Ground Control. You can choose your own spring rate. The car is far better then stock.

That was exactly what I was thinking too. Why buying KR shocks and springs while you can buy a way better coil over suspension kit from Eibach or H&R. Those are superior in suspension technique. I have the Eibach/Koni DA kit from Ground Control. You can choose your own spring rate. The car is far better then stock.

Well this isn't a debate thread really. I think a few of us were wanting to use the entire KR suspension. For me it's about overall ride, handling and looks. I had a full aftermarket suspension on the car and well it rode exactly that way. It wasn't refined no matter how I dialed in the strut/shock combo. It was always that good ol' lowered ride. I found the KR stuff for sale and jumped at the opportunity to try it. OMG it's like I bought a new car. The ride is ten times better, yet it still has the sport suspension feel. On my car there was only about a 1/2 inch difference in drop so on looks it's almost mute, however I gained much needed ground clearance. As far as handling I do get a little more body roll/lift on turn in, but you'd have to put it on a track to see if there was any true difference.

Now the sway bars is an iffy choice. Right now I still have the Eibach sway bars installed. I'll only swap to the KR stuff if I can find something reasonable so I can sell if I don't like it. I bet anything the 2010 GT500 has the KR sway bar package so I'll just wait for a cheap set of takeoffs to try.

In the end it's all what the individual wants as we all have different opinions and needs.

Thanks Mike

Mike, I wholeheartedly agree on the KR struts/shocks/springs. I just wouldn't spend the time of bloated price on bars that offer next to nothing in terms of performance. If I were you I'd stick with the Eibach units. You won't see an increase in ride quality with "KR" bars and certainly won't improve performance either. I'd move on and add things like the 2011 rear axle cover and an over the axle reservoir...along with continually upgrading everything else.

Tob

On edit...I'd consider the 2011 Performance Package sway bars first, if you must go OEM.

Archived