TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Long shot

i8acobra

My chances of finding this are probably slim, but does anyone know the whereabouts of a white SD that would have originally been sold by Silver Lake Dodge in Mass? I test drove it in High School and would love to know what ever happened to it. I don't know the production number.

My chances of finding this are probably slim, but does anyone know the whereabouts of a white SD that would have originally been sold by Silver Lake Dodge in Mass? I test drove it in High School and would love to know what ever happened to it. I don't know the production number.

Without the vin or dash plaque number your search is going to be difficult. According to the Shelby shipping records, white painted S/Daks #170, 331 and 714 were shipped to Silver Lake Dodge so there is a good chance it was one of those three.

But keep in mind that SLD could have recieved other white Shelby Dakota's from other dealers or the Chrysler zone office after Shelby closed up shop.

I may be able to narrow it down futher if you know for a fact what month you test drove the truck and whether it had a lite bar installed on the bed rail.

Steve

You mean the fiberglass piece behind the cab? Yep. It looked exactly like the one in your front lobby, but I think the interior may have been blue. There's no way I remember the month, but it was definitely in '91.

My father had told me that he'd co-sign the loan for me to buy any car I wanted as long as I kept the payments under $200 since that's what he figured I could afford to pay. I told him I found what I wanted, had test driven it and had given the dealer a $500 deposit. He asked me what it was and I told him, "a Dodge truck". He drove me to the lot to see for himself. As we pulled into the lot, it was parked out front and my father saw it. I got this euphoric feeling knowing that my new Shelby truck was just minutes away from being mine. Then, he said it... "Hope that white one isn't the one you want... the one that says "Shelby" on it". My heart stopped and turned to stone. Apparently, when my father said, "any car you want" he meant, "any slow 4-door car you want". I ended up getting a Chrysler LeBaron GTS instead. To this day, I still want a Shelby. Some day...

No blue interiors on the Shelby Dakota's, all were Bordeaux.

1991 test drive you say. It's certainly possible they still had new 1989 Shelby Dakota's in their inventory and if they did there is also a chance it could be a different CSM number than the ones I previously posted.

When Shelby Automobiles closed up in 1990 they had hundreds of Shelby Dakota's sitting at the factory with no dealers willing to take them so they ended up being shipped to Chrysler zone offices around the country. It was up to the regional zone manager to find dealerships that would take them so its possible that Silver Lake Dodge received more Dakota's by the time you visited them.

Steve

Archived