TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shopping for GT500 - some questions please

Riptide

Greetings. I am not new to the s197, have owned an 06 GT for a while, but am very new to the GT500. Right now I am shopping around and am thinking about trying to get into a 2008 used with about 9K miles on it. Having done some of the initial research I have a few questions and would appreciate some help here. This car is the one I am presently looking at getting into:

http://www.autotrader.com/ATCarID/AT-10645CEA

First one. Regarding the clutch issues. I have read the sticky. The updated bulletin makes it appear that even a 2009 model can be affected. I can't seem to find a straight answer. Is every car affected by this sooner or later?

Second question. Am I reading this correctly - the car requires 5W-50 oil?

Third (last) question. How much RWHP can the stock internals on this car handle "safely"?

Thanks guys! I appreciate your time.

Greetings. I am not new to the s197, have owned an 06 GT for a while, but am very new to the GT500. Right now I am shopping around and am thinking about trying to get into a 2008 used with about 9K miles on it. Having done some of the initial research I have a few questions and would appreciate some help here. This car is the one I am presently looking at getting into:

First one. Regarding the clutch issues. I have read the sticky. The updated bulletin makes it appear that even a 2009 model can be affected. I can't seem to find a straight answer. Is every car affected by this sooner or later?

Third (last) question. How much RWHP can the stock internals on this car handle "safely"?

Grabber has the exact date of the TSB, but its seem like October 10 2008. Ill get Grabber for the exact date

I have been told that the engine can handle 1200HP without going internal! I dont know if I want to find out, but thats what I have been told.

MM

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/53664-4th-revision-the-new-revised-clutch-tsb-10-3-8/page__view__findpost__p__910167

Looks to me like it can even affect the 2009 and they didn't really fix this until the 2010 model year.

The bottom line is it will take me 2.5-3 years to pay the car off. If I buy one and next year the transmission decides to check out on me, and the car is out of warranty, then I'm screwed. I can't afford to fix that and pay cash for the repair until the car is paid off.

Just not excited about the prospect of a $33,000+ ticking time bomb and I'm trying to get a handle on whether I'm overreacting or not.

It's got the KN cai on it. There have been issues with the K&N with the stock tune.From what i'v heard,throw the K&N away and put a different cai with a tune on it.

I got a Ford Racing CAI and SCT tuner with a tune from VMP tuning for Christmas. I was waiting for the weather to break before I put in on, I will be doing it this weekend coming up.

There are others out there but I wanted the FRPP CAI to keep it looking Ford under the hood.

Grabber has the exact date of the TSB, but its seem like October 10 2008. Ill get Grabber for the exact date

I have been told that the engine can handle 1200HP without going internal! I dont know if I want to find out, but thats what I have been told.

MM

MM,

The GT500's built FROM 8/19/08 AND ON HAVE THE NEW FLYWHEEL and nickle hub clutch and revised input shaft. This is what I found to be true after doing the research with the help of members here on TS.

Here's the documentation. I hope this helps clear up the question.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/35706-2009-gt500-the-exact-date-the-new-flywheel-started-going-in/page__view__findpost__p__559998__fromsearch__1

http://www.autotrade...rID/AT-10645CEA

The car you are looking at has a BUILD DATE of 03/19/2008. This car has the old nodular iron flywheel that is prone to warping and then takes out the clutch. Hope that helps answer your question.

Welcome to TS bud.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/53664-4th-revision-the-new-revised-clutch-tsb-10-3-8/page__view__findpost__p__910167

Looks to me like it can even affect the 2009 and they didn't really fix this until the 2010 model year.

The bottom line is it will take me 2.5-3 years to pay the car off. If I buy one and next year the transmission decides to check out on me, and the car is out of warranty, then I'm screwed. I can't afford to fix that and pay cash for the repair until the car is paid off.

Just not excited about the prospect of a $33,000+ ticking time bomb and I'm trying to get a handle on whether I'm overreacting or not.

It is not a ticking time bomb; there is plenty of info on here to walk you through how to get it replaced under warranty.

The bigger concern to me on the car is K&N as mentioned above; I would want to know exactly how long it has beeen on the car as it would have been running lean the whole time....they are a POS.

There are a ton of good cars out there for reasonable prices right now, don't jump at the first one you find.

HI

I might be mistaken but I don't think the transmission is the time bomb. From my undestanding if and when the flywheel warps it takes the clutch out not to long after. Guys help me out is that incorrect. A clutch and flywheel isn't near as expensive to replace as tranny. I have a 09 but had the TSB don around 670 miles I'm tight the the mechanic at Ford.

It is not a ticking time bomb; there is plenty of info on here to walk you through how to get it replaced under warranty.

The bigger concern to me on the car is K&N as mentioned above; I would want to know exactly how long it has beeen on the car as it would have been running lean the whole time....they are a POS.

There are a ton of good cars out there for reasonable prices right now, don't jump at the first one you find.

+1 on the K and N. The bigger question is was the car tuned for the K and N, and if so, who did it.

Archived