TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Stock 08SGT Exhaust Sound Changed Suddenly?

Just looking for some input or similar experiences on this...I was out driving just to the gym and back and when I was pulling back into my neighborhood I noticed the exhaust tone changed all of a sudden from the normal smooth rumble to a more "drum-like" sound...when I parked the car and listened to it idle it sounds rhythmic like someone beating a drum...BLUB BLUB BLUB and when I hit the gas it rumbles faster and actually shakes the car a bit. It was a sudden change and I'm not sure if it is a leak or a motor issue...any ideas?? :idea:

One or both of your cats may have gone south (internally broken apart/clogged). The way to find out is to use one of those laser pointed thermometers. Get the car up on a lift and with the engine running and warmed up, take a tempature reading of the flow pipe before (the engine side) of the cats and a reading after the cats. If the tempature reading from engine side of the cats is higher than the tempature reading after the cats, odds are that the material in the cat(s) has broken apart and clogged the exhaust flow to the back of the car.

I'm not saying that's definately the problem, but it would be the first place that I would check.

The other problem might be that one of the baffle plates in one (or both?) of the mufflers is broken, and that would change the sound too. With the engine off, you can try tapping the muffler with a soft headed hammer to see if you hear a metallic (sheet metal) rattle within the muffler.

Thanks for the quick replies...I just got home from work...when I went back out to start it up it was back to normal. Maybe something is loose inside and got stuck in a place where it was making that sound...Either way the cats and mufflers are under warranty right? Maybe I can just take it in and have it checked out.

The other problem might be that one of the baffle plates in one (or both?) of the mufflers is broken, and that would change the sound too. With the engine off, you can try tapping the muffler with a soft headed hammer to see if you hear a metallic (sheet metal) rattle within the muffler.

+1

I also thought of the baffle plates as mine broke off as well. It was covered under warranty and swapped out. :headspin:

Thanks for the quick replies...I just got home from work...when I went back out to start it up it was back to normal. Maybe something is loose inside and got stuck in a place where it was making that sound...Either way the cats and mufflers are under warranty right? Maybe I can just take it in and have it checked out.

They are.

My broken muffler didn't make the sound all the time only once and while and I had to actually use my iPhone to record it when it happened so I cold play it back to the service manager. I had to drive around with a service tech in the back seat for 15 min trying different things to get it to happen.

Keep an ear to it and if you can record it like I did and it may help them diagnose the problem.

Good luck!

If youre feeling as well as hearing the concern ("shakes the car"), sounds like a skip. If it continues, youll probably

get a "check engine" light eventually. If its infrequent enough, you might not get the light, but the PCM could set

a pending code in memory. You might try checking the codes if it continues, light or not. Also, if you can get it to do

it again, try listening to which exh. pipe it sounds like its coming from, this may give you a hint as to which bank is

being affected..........Good Luck

Archived