TEAM SHELBY FORUM

FordGT - Fastest Car in the World (video)

JohnnyGT

Man. Congrats. Thats hard core. Whoa!

Your FGT makes mine look like its a grocery getter.

Its a testament to the fact that the FGT is truly one of the worlds top performance cars.

Umm, I need to head to the store for groceries, can I borrow......

Johnny, congratulations! You should be proud and thanks from all us Ford fanatics!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

From Johnny Bohmer:

To all standing mile racing enthusiasts,

After consulting with my team, my lawyer and my therapist I find that I cannot follow their advice and leave this alone. With no offense to Ray Hofman, I am 100% sure that the speed credited to him on Sunday’s run at the Exotics Rally is incorrect. Why do I feel so strongly? It’s simple logic.

Here is Ray Hofman’s run at the Texas Mile in March.

At Texas (after 3 days of runs and on his final attempt) Ray distinctly goes through five gears (not six) and reaches the mile marker in 24 seconds. His time credited was 249.7mph. So far I have not seen a video of his fastest run at the Exotics Rally. DragTimes.com does show part of a run, but it cuts off before completion.

“For those who were interested, Ray took 24.1 seconds to cover the standing mile.”

– Heffner Performance

How then is it possible to gain over 16 miles per hour and take longer to get to the finish line?

I cannot leave this alone because my business depends on verifiable accuracy. One person called this a game “played by intense individuals for personal satisfaction.” I can assure you that this is no game for PPR. Unsubstantiated claims hurt my business as well as my credibility. If I‘m wrong, I will…

“accept the results, and enjoy the camaraderie of fellow competitors and fans.”

But as of now, there has been no video, no data, no timing slips, absolutely nothing to verify the claims being tossed around. Jason Heffner would need to step up to the plate and post data and an in-car video of his 266.9 run for me to be satisfied.

My verifiable 252.97mph run at Top Gun Run took almost 24 seconds.

My best run at Exotics Rally, where I was told I went 255mph, (yet received no timing slips even asking for them five times) took 23.1 seconds. Unfortunately an electronic malfunction kills our data half-way through the run, but here is the video. You can time it for yourselves.

If Ray Hofman’s legitimately ran 266.9mph then there should be nothing stopping them from posting the video and data to back it up. Hell, when we set our record we were so proud that we had the video up that same night. Also, I haven’t seen Jason or Ray claim the mph the car ran. Sometimes it’s the things that aren’t said that speak the loudest. This isn’t sour grapes. I’m a shop owner playing this "game" with my own money and have an enormous amount of respect for anyone participating in this insane event. I just don’t like losing when the data (or lack of it) might say otherwise.

I propose a heads-up race between the top three tuners in the world. This would be great for the sport and would settle any disputes. Any takers??

Johnny Bohmer

Performance Power Racing

Gentlemen,

Starting an internet pissing match of claims, counterclaims, accusations, and denials is counterproductive to the enjoyment and good fellowship this site is all about.

I believe a couple things need to be pointed out however that are inarguable.

1. One-mile racing is in its infancy. Like drag racing in the 1940s and 50s before the NHRA. There is no sanctioning body, there are no set standards. The oldest and most experienced entity conducting this type of event is the Texas Mile. Their method of timing which calculates an average speed at the end of the mile over a fairly long last segment of the course, results in a lower final speed for high-powered cars that are still accelerating hard at the end of the mile. The timing equipment used at the Miami Mile, assuming it is properly set up and calibrated, would issue a higher speed calculation than the equipment used at the Texas Mile for two high-powered cars running identical actual velocities.

2. Someday soon there will be a sanctioning body and established standards for speed calculation. But right now, the events are what they are. You have to show up, lay down your best runs, and accept the issued results. SW held the standing mile record for street cars for a couple years even though no sanctioning body certified his results at the Texas Mile. Performance Power set a new standard in Florida with their 252 run. When a couple members of this Forum wanted to call those results into question because that number was set at a lower altitude and with more favorable timing equipment than those used at the Texas Mile, I would not allow it. Most of the cars running at that event in Florida, who had attended both events, were turning in speeds a full 10 miles an hour faster than their best results at the Texas Mile. Was there a problem with equipment in Florida or in Texas? We will never know. So the results are accepted and Performance Power received the accolade's that they had worked hard for and certainly deserved.

3. Which brings us to last weekend's event. I believe Performance Power made a couple good runs and did not receive a time slip. I know that Ray Hoffman made two good runs that also did not receive a time slip. But in the second part of the day, after final adjustments had been made to their equipment, it is certainly possible to compare the performance of the cars running late in the day. Absolute top speeds may not be comparable between events because of different timing equipment and methods used even if they are properly calibrated. And until a sanctioning body is formed and standards are set, it's going to continue to be that way.

4. Late in the day last Sunday, the "top 3" 1 mile cars in the world were assembled in one place (Performance Power, Underground Racing, Hoffman Motorsports), running in identical miserable conditions (15-18 mph headwind, high heat, and high humidity), and being measured by the same timing equipment (which did not blow over and was not recalibrated during the second half of the day). I was at the finish line all day Thursday and all day Sunday.

5. Ray Hoffman made a run into that stiff headwind and posted the highest top speed of the day (a result backed up by onboard V-box data as well). Performance Power came to the line about 30 minutes later and ran in conditions that, if anything, were slightly more favorable. The timing equipment had not been adjusted between Ray's run and Johnny's run. On this day, the result wasn't even close. We're not talking about a margin of error difference here. The 14 mph gap (as measured by the timers) between those two cars final runs was visible to the naked eye and those of us who were at the finish line did not need to see the time slips to tell us who had made the fastest run.

6. This is only one event, on one day, and it no more sets a "forever standard", settling "once and for all" who has the fastest car, than SW's time did in Texas, or Johnny's at the Miami Mile. There will be many more events, and hopefully many more cars in the mix among top 1 mile contenders. IndyCar Teams, NASCAR Teams, and NHRA Teams don't ever make claims that they are the top dog, have the fastest car, and no one else can compete. They go out every weekend, put forth their best effort, and must earn the right to call themselves a Champion. You'll never hear Roger Penske griping about conditions, officiating, or rules, and claiming that these invalidate his competitor's efforts and victorys, while loudly crowing about the Penske Team's successes on those weekends when things work out in their favor. I don't want to hear it here either. The speeds posted and verified by onboard equipment at last weekend's event are so far in excess of the previous (also unsanctioned and unverified) World Record that they cannot be called into question without calling all other claimed World Mile Speed Records into question as well.

7. At the end of the day, this is just a game, played by intense individuals for the personal satisfaction that comes from having done something extraordinary. I have been privileged to watch one of the top teams operate and I respect and admire the efforts of competing teams as well. The men who put these amazing cars and crews together share a bond that should be far greater than any competitive animus. Leave the trash talking on the basketball court.

Put forth your best effort, run your best times, accept the results, and enjoy the camaraderie of your fellow competitors and fans. At the end of the weekend, win or lose, I'll buy the cocktails......and we'll see you at the next event. All the best.

Chip Beck

From Johnny Bohmer:

To all standing mile racing enthusiasts,

After consulting with my team, my lawyer and my therapist I find that I cannot follow their advice and leave this alone. With no offense to Ray Hofman, I am 100% sure that the speed credited to him on Sunday’s run at the Exotics Rally is incorrect. Why do I feel so strongly? It’s simple logic.

Here is Ray Hofman’s run at the Texas Mile in March.

At Texas (after 3 days of runs and on his final attempt) Ray distinctly goes through five gears (not six) and reaches the mile marker in 24 seconds. His time credited was 249.7mph. So far I have not seen a video of his fastest run at the Exotics Rally. DragTimes.com does show part of a run, but it cuts off before completion.

How then is it possible to gain over 16 miles per hour and take longer to get to the finish line?

I cannot leave this alone because my business depends on verifiable accuracy. One person called this a game “played by intense individuals for personal satisfaction.” I can assure you that this is no game for PPR. Unsubstantiated claims hurt my business as well as my credibility. If I‘m wrong, I will…

But as of now, there has been no video, no data, no timing slips, absolutely nothing to verify the claims being tossed around. Jason Heffner would need to step up to the plate and post data and an in-car video of his 266.9 run for me to be satisfied.

My verifiable 252.97mph run at Top Gun Run took almost 24 seconds.

My best run at Exotics Rally, where I was told I went 255mph, (yet received no timing slips even asking for them five times) took 23.1 seconds. Unfortunately an electronic malfunction kills our data half-way through the run, but here is the video. You can time it for yourselves.

If Ray Hofman’s legitimately ran 266.9mph then there should be nothing stopping them from posting the video and data to back it up. Hell, when we set our record we were so proud that we had the video up that same night. Also, I haven’t seen Jason or Ray claim the mph the car ran. Sometimes it’s the things that aren’t said that speak the loudest. This isn’t sour grapes. I’m a shop owner playing this "game" with my own money and have an enormous amount of respect for anyone participating in this insane event. I just don’t like losing when the data (or lack of it) might say otherwise.

I propose a heads-up race between the top three tuners in the world. This would be great for the sport and would settle any disputes. Any takers??

Johnny Bohmer

Performance Power Racing

" with NO offense " but it does sound like sour grapes ... NO offense, sounds like you just called Heffner & Accufab LIARS.

I suppose there will always be a jealous hater.

Your first post: look at me, look what I did.

Your last post: :baby:

So you got your AS* handed to you. I suggest you just man up, go back to your shop and build something better, then you can make post #6 and say look at me, look what I did.

Does your arm ever get tired patting yourself on your own back.

You have a therapist? really?

As Chip said:

Put forth your best effort, run your best times, accept the results, and enjoy the camaraderie of your fellow competitors and fans.

Gentlemen,

1 Mile racers and fans alike were looking forward to this October's Texas Mile shootout with Underground Racing, Performance Power, and Ray Hofman. But it looks like we're not going to get to see Johnny Bohmer back up the talk as he put his white GT up for sale on e-bay this morning. Perhaps there was not as much doubt about the Heffner-Hofman GT as was indicated in his post above. :redcard:

Join us at the Texas Mile and I predict you'll see history made again. Cheers.

Chip

• 2 weeks later...

NO offense, sounds like you just called Heffner & Accufab LIARS.

Actually, I don't need to do that. The event director posted exactly what we suspected.

in order to verify these results I personally emailed both parties on April 30, 2010. In sum and substance I asked Jason Heffner & Ray Hofman to share their results with me exclusively. I offered a non-disclosure waiver, stating that I will not release or share any data included within the results that they claim they are in possession of with any other 3rd party. To my dismay I received an email from Jason Heffner stating that the timing system was inaccurate. He also declined to share their data with me. With all these variables I cannot firmly state that the run was without question 100% accurate

Seth Rose, Pres.

Exotics Rally

As I said before, there has been no video, no data, no timing slips, absolutely nothing to verify the claims being tossed around. Getting legitimately beat would be acceptable. Watching someone dilute our hard work and stomp on our posts is not.

Actually, I don't need to do that. The event director posted exactly what we suspected.

As I said before, there has been no video, no data, no timing slips, absolutely nothing to verify the claims being tossed around. Getting legitimately beat would be acceptable. Watching someone dilute our hard work and stomp on our posts is not.

Nice video. So let me get this straight. Using the same timing equipment that had not been adjusted between your run and Hofmans run, you are clocked at 255 and Ray is clocked at 266 and your own video crew declares you the winner?!?!?? Wow.

Heffner is not going to turn their MoTeC data over to anybody. It is hard won and expensive data that you would claim was doctored anyway. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't. So on to the next event where you will get smoked again if you take your car off of e-bay and show up in Texas. After you get beat it's no big deal, just have your video crew declare you the winner.

Your security guard was a nice touch too. Great to have them at an exotic car event. Nice.

Chip

post-12804-127413346196_thumb.jpg

post-12804-127413347237_thumb.jpg

post-12804-127413346196_thumb.jpg

post-12804-127413347237_thumb.jpg

Archived