TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Control Arms & Panhard Bar!

I'm going to order some new rear lower control arms and an adjustable panhard bar very soon. I've asked Robert & the Shelby Store about what they might have coming, but so far, no response. I'm going to order by Saturday.

Anyway, if all you guys have any recommendations / suggestions I'd be glad to here them!

Most likely I'm ordering this stuff from Lethal Performance. I like their selection.

Fire away! :confused:

I'm getting the feeling that "completely original" is going out the window soon!

I've got nothing else to add here though, I haven't felt the need for lca's... yet!

I suppose I could say I'm VERY happy with my BMR adj. panhard though, easy install, greasable bushings, and centered everything up nicely :)

I just put the BMR adjustable panhard rod and brace on my car. Quality parts, easy install. Centered things up nicely. Here is a link to the installation procedure from another forum. I followed this procedure except I reused the factory nuts and bolts. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-279/627132-how-i-installed-adjustable-panhard-bar.html

Gents...Rear suspension nuts and bolts are "torque-to-yield" components, i.e. "use once and throw away".

If y'all are considering slinging your SGT around some twisties, I suggest you invest a few pennies in some grade 8 stuff. The investment will be cheaper than the repair.

Happy Motoring, and be safe.

^I tried tellin' them Mac! ;)

Ilmor, I went with the Griggs Racing adjustable panhard bar and their road race lower control arms with heim joints (among other things) and couldn't be happier with the ride or quality. Griggs offers lifetime warranty on all of their parts, which is something no one else in the industry can touch. Good luck with whichever route you go.

Ken

I'm going to order some new rear lower control arms and an adjustable panhard bar very soon. I've asked Robert & the Shelby Store about what they might have coming, but so far, no response. I'm going to order by Saturday.

Anyway, if all you guys have any recommendations / suggestions I'd be glad to here them!

Most likely I'm ordering this stuff from Lethal Performance. I like their selection.

Fire away! :confused:

Griggs or BMR

Gents...Rear suspension nuts and bolts are "torque-to-yield" components, i.e. "use once and throw away".

If y'all are considering slinging your SGT around some twisties, I suggest you invest a few pennies in some grade 8 stuff. The investment will be cheaper than the repair.

Happy Motoring, and be safe.

Mac & Ken,

I would never begin to question your mechanical expertise, but I did contact BMR about this and they said I would be fine reusing the old hardware. I probably won't put my car on the track, but if I ever do I'll switch these out with new.

UMI double adjustable panhard bar with roto joints from Sam Strano

Perfect fit, build, finish & cost

it centered everything nicely

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetails.php?PartID=704&CategoryID=79&ModelID=5

If you decide on the UMI then purchase the spanner wrench at the same time so it will be available if there is any future need:

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetails.php?PartID=707&CategoryID=79&ModelID=5

Great info so far! In addition to BMR, I'm thinking about J&M. I like their write-up at Lethal. Anyone have any issues with J&M?

Kahmann, I'd love to go Griggs, but its just too pricey for me!!!

Great info so far! In addition to BMR, I'm thinking about J&M. I like their write-up at Lethal. Anyone have any issues with J&M?

J&M and UMI Double Adjustable ChroMoly Panhard Bar (Rod Ends)

web.jpg

and get the BMR panhard rod support

web.jpg

web.jpg

Good Luck Deciding

Andrew

Thanks for all your help guys...I've decided to go with...from Lethal Performance.....

J&M 05-09 Mustang Street/Race Extreme Joint Lower Control ArmsJ&M 05-09 Mustang Street/Race Extreme Joint Lower Control Arms

* Color - Black

J&M 05-09 Mustang Double Adjustable Panhard Rod (Street/Race)J&M 05-09 Mustang Double Adjustable Panhard Rod (Street/Race)

* Color - 23747B Black

edit - I'll add the BMR brace later after I save up more moolah!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I installed the new parts yesterday!! Here are the pics. The new control arms feel like they are half the weight of the originals. Also, now my rear axle is centered properly, although it was not off much.

2f9c9c51.jpg

7e87f517.jpg

0b93741c.jpg

efe39026.jpg

13fe9b6d.jpg

Andrew

did you swap out your springs also?

Laurence

I did I went with Vogtland Springs GT Standard Kit 1.2" Drop Fr./Rr. (Vog 953084) and Koni dampners

I loved the set up but am thinking of going with Griggs Racing on the new SGT ( but got to find 8 large first0

Andrew

Just a little update. I finally had the opportunity to take a couple of quick hard corners, and I can tell you, there is noticeable improvement. The rear end sticks hard and feels great! I need to try and get an autocross or two in this year. Of course, I'll be in the modified class so I'll have no hope of winning (esp since I'm still on the stock BFG all-weather radials).....

Archived