TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Water spots

Okay gang, I need to draw on the wealth of knowledge out there. I have never purchased a new car before. This 2010 was my first. I learned a lot of things during the process, but I am at a crossroad here. My car is COVERED in water spots. The buffing didn't work, the 50% vinegar didn't work, the 100% vinegar didn't work. I am being told that these are in the clear coat and that at this point my only recourse now is going to be using a polish to get this out of the clear coat. The entire car......seriously?..........because of water spots?........ :headscratch:

I am prepared to do this, I have the materials coming and should be here tomorrow from Show Car Detail. I guess I just feel a little jypped here. So, from all those that have bought new cars, what should I be feeling? What should I expect? Do I have a recourse to pursue? Or just suck it up that is part of the process and break out the polishes and get to work?

Nic

Okay gang, I need to draw on the wealth of knowledge out there. I have never purchased a new car before. This 2010 was my first. I learned a lot of things during the process, but I am at a crossroad here. My car is COVERED in water spots. The buffing didn't work, the 50% vinegar didn't work, the 100% vinegar didn't work. I am being told that these are in the clear coat and that at this point my only recourse now is going to be using a polish to get this out of the clear coat. The entire car......seriously?..........because of water spots?........ :headscratch:

I am prepared to do this, I have the materials coming and should be here tomorrow from Show Car Detail. I guess I just feel a little jypped here. So, from all those that have bought new cars, what should I be feeling? What should I expect? Do I have a recourse to pursue? Or just suck it up that is part of the process and break out the polishes and get to work?

Nic

Hi Nic,

Might piss off a few here but IMHO if you ORDER a brand new car it should be the cream of the crop. I can understand if it sat on a dealer lot for months on end but a special order? It should be perfect in my opinion. That being said, I ordered mine too and had the same issue but only on the trunk lid area and not all over the car. I believe you ordered this from MM so I would contact him asap to find out your recourse. I know he will take care of you.

Best of luck,

DaFreak

Nic

Hi Nic,

I agree with DaFreak, it is not your problem. Contact the dealer and if you bought from MM from what I can tell on this forum it will get taken care of.

Hi Nic,

I agree with DaFreak, it is not your problem. Contact the dealer and if you bought from MM from what I can tell on this forum it will get taken care of.

Nic,

+1... Did your Shelby arrive with these water spots? Was it delivered by long haul tractor-trailer? Covered or open? I've seen new car paint jobs damaged by extensive exposure to raw diesel fumes, and it looks like water spots. If this is the case, MM should be able to get you a professional detail courtesy of the trucking company. Good luck!

+1 defrinitely call Michael--this is a warranty item,even if it wasnt like that when you got he car.New cars dont have alot of clear on them, so if you buff thru the clear,your in big trouble, and would have to re-clear the whole car!!.Let the dealer take care of it---you could try the clay bar,its not intrusive to the clear,but dont keep buffing it.I had this problem with a new Stnag in 1990 and it was acid raid damage.The dealer had it wet sanded and it was fine till i sold it 10 years later.Wet sanding is a real art,and you REALLY have to know what your doing--the dealer Imsure has a guy who does it.And actullay it'll take out all the orange peel at the same time, so the car will actually look better.When you take it in or talk with Michael,ask about what options, and do they think wet sanding would work.For a good wet sander it'd take a day to do it---last point, leaving a car at a car repair shop put you at risk from paint overspray from cars that are being painted.See if they could send the wetsand guy to your house--in Atl wetsanding runs around $500--rest aqssured though it will be fixed--bob

The car was dropped off at a lot someplace in Washington and I assume it was a tractor trailer, open, that it was moved across the country on. It was covered in gravel, sand and water. I washed it the next day and it was nose to tail in water spots. I deployed 4 or 5 days later so didn't have time to try and get them out. I just got home 2 days ago and tried what I mentioned above and that is where I am at now.

Okay gang thanks a lot for the input, it really helps in giving me some direction in what I should do and how to go about it. MM has helped out with anything I have asked him about and been there for what I thought were problems and I will be buying my wife a Raptor from him come time. It is just a little difficult doing all of this because my car was delivered to my house and I did not get to pick it up at a dealer. Had I been able to fly to MM's place and inspect it a lot of things would have been eliminated and/or taken care of right there.

Nic

The car was dropped off at a lot someplace in Washington and I assume it was a tractor trailer, open, that it was moved across the country on. It was covered in gravel, sand and water. I washed it the next day and it was nose to tail in water spots. I deployed 4 or 5 days later so didn't have time to try and get them out. I just got home 2 days ago and tried what I mentioned above and that is where I am at now.

Okay gang thanks a lot for the input, it really helps in giving me some direction in what I should do and how to go about it. MM has helped out with anything I have asked him about and been there for what I thought were problems and I will be buying my wife a Raptor from him come time. It is just a little difficult doing all of this because my car was delivered to my house and I did not get to pick it up at a dealer. Had I been able to fly to MM's place and inspect it a lot of things would have been eliminated and/or taken care of right there.

Nic

Id bet it didnt have the spots on it at MMs--they ship on a covered train--the poster who mentioned the combo of diesel exhaust (sulpher( would have caused acid rain on your car, so dont fret about not inspecting the car.Its still covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty, so either Michael should pick up the costs, or the local dealer. Just to get another assesment of it, call a detailing shop and get the name of someone who wetsands cars--or if theres a local muscle car club, call them and find out who's good--have that person look at it and ask him.Most detaling shops dont do wet sanding, and as i said too much buffing will take the clear off---heres the name of the president of the GTO club in Wash--his name is Mike and his email is wallys@northwestlegends.com im sure hell know of a wetsanding guy--hes in Burien,but they have memebers all over the state--bob

Id bet it didnt have the spots on it at MMs--they ship on a covered train--the poster who mentioned the combo of diesel exhaust (sulpher( would have caused acid rain on your car, so dont fret about not inspecting the car.Its still covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty, so either Michael should pick up the costs, or the local dealer. Just to get another assesment of it, call a detailing shop and get the name of someone who wetsands cars--or if theres a local muscle car club, call them and find out who's good--have that person look at it and ask him.Most detaling shops dont do wet sanding, and as i said too much buffing will take the clear off---heres the name of the president of the GTO club in Wash--his name is Mike and his email is wallys@northwestlegends.com im sure hell know of a wetsanding guy--hes in Burien,but they have memebers all over the state--bob

I agree with the above 100%. It is a warranty issue. That is why shipping on a open trailer suck.... With these cars enclosed is the way to go, But that is not the cost effective way to ship for the dealers. Not knocking them, their a business. If you buy out of state it is always best to insist shipping in a enclosed trailer.

Beware with the detail shops. With warranty work you get what you pay for most of the time there are some exception.... Dealerships dont always use the best shops for uncommon warranty work unless they have some type of contract with a body shop. Like I said not knocking the dealerships they are businesses and they have to make money like everyone else. You have to way your options. Sometimes it is just worth the piece of mind to just suck it up and do it your self. In most cases you will do a better job than anyone else because you is yours. Try the Zaino kit, check out the web site testimonials. Use the clay bar and throw on a few coats of wax. Its almost summer time anyway, got to have a nice wax job for the summer anyway. You dont have to use Zaino if you dont want to, I use it and love it. Just use a good clay bar and a good wax, Zaino, 3M, McGuires, something like that and do it over that weekend. Drag your wife out there and teach her something and do it together. Remember use a clay bar in a side to side motion not in a swirling motion, most good waxes are applied in the same way. G/L

If they're acid rain spots try neutralizing them with a mixture of baking soda and water,then rewash the car.The best way to dry it is to use a blow dryer designed for motorcycles.I use this method on my black car and it shows virtualy no water spots and oh yea don't wash in the sun!

Nic called me this morning

Car is at the detailer getting taken care of right now at NO cost to him.

This is either a Ford, Wayne Morris Ford or Trucking company problem!!

It is getting taken car of!

Thanks guys for not BASHING me!! Yall could have easily done it. Thanks for having faith in me that it would get taken car of!!!

MM

Nic called me this morning

Car is at the detailer getting taken care of right now at NO cost to him.

This is either a Ford, Wayne Morris Ford or Trucking company problem!!

It is getting taken car of!

Thanks guys for not BASHING me!! Yall could have easily done it. Thanks for having faith in me that it would get taken car of!!!

MM

Everyone knows your a staight up guy Michael--so no bashing.Id love to know how they wind up fxing it--by the way,im heading down to St George island for some fishing in a few weeks,ill give you a call and drop by--if we dont get delayed by one of my grandsons ( 4 under 6)

Bah MM beat me to it!

I just got home from wife dragging me around shopping beings we were downtown already anyhow. MM didn't hesitate a single second with the solution. I followed his instructions and it is getting taken car of right now as I type. It is at a reputable detail shop in this area and MM is taking car of everything as he has with anything that he and I have talked about. We both have had to deal with an interesting set of issues with a cross country car sale. There was never any doubt about the matter being fixed up right, I was just jumping on the forums to ask advice on how I should go about things as I have never purchased a new car. Once TS members said this was a warranty/dealer issue I gave MM a call and he was all over it. No questions, no arguments or anything of the sort. He flat out said 'take it to a detail shop of your choice have them fix it and I will cover everything'.

Like I said earlier in this post, I tried a few user level solutions that didn't work. I had a clay bar/wax/polish/glaze kit from Show Car on its way to my house but I felt very uncomfortable trying to remove the spots on a new finish without asking further advice and that is why I came here. Everyone has been a great help and I tried a few of the tips hoping not to have to bug MM with something I could fix. I was not able to fix it and MM swooped in to take my Shelby worries away! (again! lolol) I think he might cringe when he sees my number on his cell ROFL :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Well, again, thanks to everyone and your help and especially to you MM (hopefully you will want to sell me a F-150 Raptor when wife lets me get her one here laugh). Should get my car from the shop here in the next 30 or 45 minutes. Take pictures and sling them up to show off the new finish!

Nic

Can't wait to see the pics! Also, nice work MM! I',m sure you're making customers by the minute.

DaFreak

Bah MM beat me to it!

I just got home from wife dragging me around shopping beings we were downtown already anyhow. MM didn't hesitate a single second with the solution. I followed his instructions and it is getting taken car of right now as I type. It is at a reputable detail shop in this area and MM is taking car of everything as he has with anything that he and I have talked about. We both have had to deal with an interesting set of issues with a cross country car sale. There was never any doubt about the matter being fixed up right, I was just jumping on the forums to ask advice on how I should go about things as I have never purchased a new car. Once TS members said this was a warranty/dealer issue I gave MM a call and he was all over it. No questions, no arguments or anything of the sort. He flat out said 'take it to a detail shop of your choice have them fix it and I will cover everything'.

Like I said earlier in this post, I tried a few user level solutions that didn't work. I had a clay bar/wax/polish/glaze kit from Show Car on its way to my house but I felt very uncomfortable trying to remove the spots on a new finish without asking further advice and that is why I came here. Everyone has been a great help and I tried a few of the tips hoping not to have to bug MM with something I could fix. I was not able to fix it and MM swooped in to take my Shelby worries away! (again! lolol) I think he might cringe when he sees my number on his cell ROFL :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Well, again, thanks to everyone and your help and especially to you MM (hopefully you will want to sell me a F-150 Raptor when wife lets me get her one here laugh). Should get my car from the shop here in the next 30 or 45 minutes. Take pictures and sling them up to show off the new finish!

Nic

Glad that everyone is happy. From what I have read in this forum MM has a outstanding rep. Great job... I have been inquiring about a car and he has been very helpful, seems like a stand up guy.

Once you get your car back it would be a ideal time to throw down a few coats of wax to protect you investment...

hey Nic--how did it go--we're all anxiusly awaiting the good news.Since you were getting it back yesterday, with my Irish heritage, im figuring no news is bad news--hope im wrong and your just out enjoyin the car

Hey Nic,

Glad to see your home and now able to get some miles on the car. One thing on spots, Even though here in Puyallup we have great water I still use a water filter and water softener. I just made a little stand and then mounted the spin on type of filter and cartridge type water softener. and put in on the house hose fitting when needed. It really helps in making the water slick, so you get much less in water spoting.

How did getting it licensed go?

hey Nic--how did it go--we're all anxiusly awaiting the good news.Since you were getting it back yesterday, with my Irish heritage, im figuring no news is bad news--hope im wrong and your just out enjoyin the car

Sorry, I got it back Thursday night at 6pm my time the 1st. It looked BEAUTIFUL! Was like glass, scuff marks from shipping all cleared, spots all cleared, couple scratches from I'm not sure what all cleared. They clay bared it, and then went through all the steps and put a final wax on it.

But then........you can read about my Venture Shield nightmare in a new post. :censored:

Nic

you guys can try all the vinagar, baking soda, and any of grandmas recipes you want, the bottom line is 2500 wet sand,i had 04 termi with acid rain spots the only way they where gone was wet sanding do not bullshit the guy if it is acid you need a pro to wet sand it unless you have painted and polished cars some marks only come out with wet sanding

There are two types of waterspots. Type 1 which is on the clearcoat surface and type 2 which is deep in the clearcoat and usually depending on depth has to be wet sanded out. Type 1 usually can be removed with the mentioned remedies along with a fine polish. Keep in mind wet sanding can compromise clearcoat thickness and service life if not done properly. Hopefully MM found a place that can make the car look stunning. Good luck and send me some pictures when its done.

There are two types of waterspots. Type 1 which is on the clearcoat surface and type 2 which is deep in the clearcoat and usually depending on depth has to be wet sanded out. Type 1 usually can be removed with the mentioned remedies along with a fine polish. Keep in mind wet sanding can compromise clearcoat thickness and service life if not done properly. Hopefully MM found a place that can make the car look stunning. Good luck and send me some pictures when its done.

Don't want to hijack this topic, but... Looking forward to Saturday Steve! My new baby needs TLC!!! :backtotopic:

Archived