TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2010 Kicker upgrade package

2nd2none

At sonix, $325. Plus another $150 for wires and converters, and another $100-$150 easily for installing it, it adds up dont it!

That's what stopped me from going the true aftermarket route. It just gets crazy expensive...then there's the chance of hooking up something wrong if you're doing it yourself, etc. Like I mentioned...I'm just going to get the Shelby/Kicker Trunk sub next year...and call it a day.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for those posts Silverstar. Too many decisions to make!

mrl859, when you put the stock subs back in, was it an issue that those 2 little tabs that were sticking out had been removed?

Although the instructions say to cut the tabs off, I just trimmed them down and modified the k/s spacers. That being said, you should have no trouble reinstalling the stock subs as there are enough screws around the circumference to keep the subs centered.

• 3 weeks later...

I did not get the 4.1 add-on amp. I guess I didnt recall your earlier post regarding the crappy S/K subs with the factory set up. I will look and try to find it. Since its a 4.1 amp, the subs are not powered by the 4.1 amp, it only adds wattage to the 4 main speakers. How does the 4.1 amp improve the subs sound/performance?

Another forum suggested I check to make sure all 4 sub wires were not connected to the sub. Only 2 wires are supposed to be connected. I will be checking with my installer tomorrow to be sure this was done.

I just had the 4.1 Shelby/Kicker amp installed last week. What a difference it made! Someone posted a while back that they thought upgrading to the speakers made a bigger difference. To each their own I guess, but I really think adding the amp made a big difference in the overall sound quality and impact. I wish the bass had a little more oomph, but cranking Nickelback from my itouch or playing a CD, the sound is great.

I just had the 4.1 Shelby/Kicker amp installed last week. What a difference it made! Someone posted a while back that they thought upgrading to the speakers made a bigger difference. To each their own I guess, but I really think adding the amp made a big difference in the overall sound quality and impact. I wish the bass had a little more oomph, but cranking Nickelback from my itouch or playing a CD, the sound is great.

I wish they made the amp for 2010 Nav. If you have time/energy, you should reinstall the stock door subs and see how that sounds. Without the 4.1 amp, the Kicker door subs did not sound very good.

The Kicker Sub comes with it's own wiring harnes. It has a power supply that feeds from the fuse box to power it's amp on the 09 version.

Was about to ask the same thing 2nd2none. I'm starting to get really anxious about having a killer stereo system in my car again.

Btw - While cleaning out my trunk the other day I noticed a harness with a connector on the right side just behind the tail light. (under the liner) I think that's a connection for the Shaker1000 sub - but for some reason I thought that I read that the Shaker500 cars didn't have that harness. Does yours have that 2nd2none?

So I'm thinking the Kicker Sub will plug into that? I'm hoping that might avoid me having to run another set of wires from the amp when installed? Anybody know?

• 5 weeks later...

It really is too bad that the Shelby store teamed up with Kicker, rather than Rockford Fosgate...then again, maybe not!

The guys from Rockford Fosgate used my car to design a package for the '07 - '09 GT500 that will "blow you away". It is two-thousand watts of pure lust...utilizing the factory Shaker 500 head unit. It is absolutely crystal clear and as loud as you can stand it.

It would be worth looking into a RF package for the '10.

post-21656-046963100 1291319084_thumb.jpg

post-21656-046963100 1291319084_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It really is too bad that the Shelby store teamed up with Kicker, rather than Rockford Fosgate...then again, maybe not!

The guys from Rockford Fosgate used my car to design a package for the '07 - '09 GT500 that will "blow you away". It is two-thousand watts of pure lust...utilizing the factory Shaker 500 head unit. It is absolutely crystal clear and as loud as you can stand it.

Nice! I like it!

Looks interesting...any chance you could post details of all the components in the system? And perhaps the overall cost?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

my 2010 shaker 500 is really average too. my buddy has a 08 gt5000 with the shaker 1000 and with the stock set up from ford it was ok. he got a pioneer nav and the new wiring set up really exposes the true potential of the shaker 1000. bass is extremely loud and crisp even at midrange...however he blew one of the small tweaters in the door panel shortly after

Just finished installing the Kicker 6x8s in the front and on the rear deck. A LOT better than the stock pieces of junk that were there before. I was considering getting the Kicker sub too but I don't like the look of it.... the plastic shell bothers me. Also, the price of shipping it here makes it not worth the premium so I'm going to order the JL Audio Stealthbox for mustangs which has factory carpeting over the enclosure and it's a 13 inch sub. Doesn't come with an amp but for the price of the Kicker + shipping, I might as well get the JL Audio + the Amp... price is around the same.

• 1 month later...

It comes with a wiring harness that attaches to the underhood fuse box. It's a very well done harness. I chose to attach to a wire inside the vehicle that I had already tapped into for my Kenwood sub. I would recommend routing it per their directions. The signal input is acheived by solderless t splices into the right channel door subwoofer wiring. If you have a car that is compatible with the Kicker 4.1 amp, it plugs directly into that. Regarding that, I spoke to an OEM engineer at Kicker. They have developed an amp solution for the 2010 Shaker 500 WITH nav. It exists. It has not, however, been approved for production and may not be due to comparitively low demand. I believe that I can make the current 4.1 amp work with my 2010 with nav and plan on trying it as soon as they become available again. According to the enginner at Kicker, even if it does work, it won't sound as good as their solution. But since right now it's vaporware, I believe my solution will sound better than what I have now. If it works. He also recommended some Kicker aftermarket amps, but I don't want to start with all that.

Can I inquire as to how you think you can make the current 4.1 amp work with the nav? I have a 2011 and I have the Kicker kit I had in my 09, well minus the Amp and rear sub. I had an aftermarket Head unit though so the adjustability was there. But with the factory nav in this one the sound is terrible compared to the 09.

Can I inquire as to how you think you can make the current 4.1 amp work with the nav? I have a 2011 and I have the Kicker kit I had in my 09, well minus the Amp and rear sub. I had an aftermarket Head unit though so the adjustability was there. But with the factory nav in this one the sound is terrible compared to the 09.

I gave up on the 4.1 amp for three reasons. 1:It would have required major modification to the supplied Kicker amp harness to try it. Once modified, I would then own an amp that I have no use for if it didn't work right. I actually bought one to map out the harness, but discretion became the better part of valor. Also. the Kicker engineer said the built in dsp might not sound very good as it was not engineered for that specific set up. 2: I made a gain control using a stereo volume control in line to the signal input wires to the Kicker sub. Without it, I found it to be horribly boomy. I was able to get it right where I wanted it. 3: I sold the car.

I misread your post. Reinstall the factory door subs. Without the amp, the Kicker subs sound horrible! Use the 6x8s with stock door subs and maybe add the rear Kicker sub.

I misread your post. Reinstall the factory door subs. Without the amp, the Kicker subs sound horrible! Use the 6x8s with stock door subs and maybe add the rear Kicker sub.

Already done. I actually put them back in after reading one of your earlier posts. I'll have to look into perhaps adding another aftermarket amp. Thanks for the reply :)

Has any installed it this way ?

'

Front and rear 6x8's, trunk sub , 4.1 amp [ Kicker ] and keep the stock 8" door subs.

I have all of it installed and the Kicker door subs are lacking the kick of the factory subs.

Was very odd.

Shelby confirmed that buying the individual components is cheaper than buying the entire kit for navigation-based systems. But why even include the door subs if they only degrade sound quality without sufficient oomph to power them?

Was very odd.

Shelby confirmed that buying the individual components is cheaper than buying the entire kit for navigation-based systems. But why even include the door subs if they only degrade sound quality without sufficient oomph to power them?

Because money makes the world go 'round?

Even if it were relevant, how does money affect the logic of including speakers that have no benefit, or a whose price is greater than the individual components?

The component verus package price not withstanding, because people who have no clue will buy them just because they Shelby and Kicker on them. To be honest, while I've never experienced them that way, I thought the door subs were supposed to sound great with the 4.1 amp. No?

• 1 month later...

I'd like to add a NEW twist to the Kicker 6 x 8 subject.

I was all-set to buy two pair of KS680's which I'd found at local Best Buys for as little as $45/pair. Hot damn!

However, next to them were what seems to be a NEW product - KS68's - with identical specifications but a much higher price $75/pair.

I called Kicker whose technical support couldn't seem to suggest any difference between them beyond the price, but it was a statement Kicker made in the absence of any specific information rather than definitive knowledge to the effect, "we just renamed them and gave 'em a new package".

I bought both - just to save myself a trip to the store if things didn't work-out. But before proceeding further, I'm wondering if anybody has come across the same apparent contradiction who was able to find a better answer that gives some certainty one way or the other.

Thanks!

Archived