TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT 500 and KR

cluscher

I read up on the other thread and heard several guys who own, or have owned, both the GT500 and the KR say that the KR is just a night and day difference to drive than the GT500. I'm assuming that at least some of those comments come from guys who did mod their GT 500s at least with CAI and tune. I'm curious to know how and why there's such a difference in the ride between the two? I love the KR and think it's awesome, but apart from aesthetics, I'm wondering how the KR would be a different drive than a GT500 with CAI and tune, FR3 handling pack, 3.73 gears, and KR axle backs? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I read up on the other thread and heard several guys who own, or have owned, both the GT500 and the KR say that the KR is just a night and day difference to drive than the GT500. I'm assuming that at least some of those comments come from guys who did mod their GT 500s at least with CAI and tune. I'm curious to know how and why there's such a difference in the ride between the two? I love the KR and think it's awesome, but apart from aesthetics, I'm wondering how the KR would be a different drive than a GT500 with CAI and tune, FR3 handling pack, 3.73 gears, and KR axle backs? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

What is it that you want to know ? You seem to have the answer to the question already !! Well one is a CLONE and the other is the real deal .

What is it that you want to know ? You seem to have the answer to the question already !! Well one is a CLONE and the other is the real deal .

Just if that's the big difference. I just assumed when reading other posts the big difference went beyond these few mods given the emphasis that the two were very different cars. And, no, it's not a clone........it's a modded GT500, all of which were mods available to make the car what it should be before the KR ever hit the showroom. A clone would be fake badging and a fake hood.

I wouldn't say that it's a night & day difference between the two, but the KR is definitely an upgrade from a stock GT500. I had the FR3 handling kit, FRPP CAI w/tune and the KR exhaust on my 08 GT500. My KR sounds meaner and feels faster than my GT500 did. I think Shelby underates the HP and the 3:73s definitely make the car feel stronger. I also get more looks and compliments in my KR than I did with my GT500. You see GT500s all the time. How often do you see a KR?

Let me see if I can answer your question.

I had a bone stock '08 GT-500, and now have a bone stock '09 KR. The differences between the stock cars are noticeable. The 3.73 gears, short throw shifter, CAI w/tune, and the suspension tweaks (including the different Goodyear tires) are what made those differences. I did not have the pleasure of driving a modded GT-500 for any length of time. Gary (shelbypt) had a modded GT-500 and now has a KR. Perhaps he can give you a better idea of the differences between a modded GT-500 and a bone stock KR.

I do not think you'll find a difference to be honest. While the KR is different, it's not THAT different.

Thanks for those replies guys. That's the kind of feedback i was looking for. When reading the other thread and seeing the comments on how different the cars were I thought there may have been some subtle things about the KR's performance I was missing.

IMO you guys are lucky to have the KRs for the prices you were able to snag them for. I love the KR and wish I could have one, but just not able to justify another $15K to trade my similarly modded GT500 in for a KR. If money were no object it would be a no brainer for me, but that ain't the way it is. The KRs were certainly not worth the $100+K dealers thought they were worth, but they're definitely worth the amounts they're going for today. It is indeed a very special car. Enjoy them!

Just if that's the big difference. I just assumed when reading other posts the big difference went beyond these few mods given the emphasis that the two were very different cars. And, no, it's not a clone........it's a modded GT500, all of which were mods available to make the car what it should be before the KR ever hit the showroom. A clone would be fake badging and a fake hood.

Hey i was just kidding around with you . I had a 07 and added the CAI from Ford but that car NEVER felt as fast as my KR. Now i am comparing hot weather driving in the 07 compared to cool weather driving in the KR . I am sure that has something to do with it plus the rear gear and exhaust .

I had an 08 GT500 slightly modified. The performance /handling mods were Steeda CAI, Steeda Tune, Eibach pro lowering kit, Steeda control arms. There were other visual mods in and out. Many of these went on the KR.

With out a doubt my 09 stock KR is a much much better car. First off the sound is 100x better. It sounds the way a car with 500hp and over should sound. It handles better and not such a harsh ride. The interior is almost identical to 08. The headlights are different. The hood is a big change and looks better than the 08 10 and 11 hoods on the 500 IMO.

With the lower pricing on the KRs now I would not waste the money on a GT500. I got a great deal on the KR and a very decent number for my 08 trade. But if I had known better I would have waited for the KR pricing to come down and not wasted any money buying the 500 or any money for mods I put in/on my 500.

It all depends on ones finacial position. A 500 is better than not one at all, but if you have the money go for the KR. You will not be dissapointed.

Archived