TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Question about Battery Tender use

I purchased a 12V Battery Tender Junior today for use on my motorcycle, but after noticing that it went into float mode fairly quickly, I thought I'd try it on the SGT....I've had it plugged in for several hours now and it is still showing a RED light indicating that it is charging...Just curious as to how long it might take for it to go into FLOAT mode on the SGT...I know that there is pretty much a constant draw on the battery, but even when it gets to 80% charge, it should show a blinking GREEN light....but mine is still RED..... :cry:

motorjock205,

It might take 3 or 4x times that long. It all depends on how depleted your SGT battery was before you connected the Tender. For instance, if the SGT has been parked for several months, the onboard ECM, alarm, etc. have been draining your previous charge. Remember, the Battery Tender Junior is only providing a 750ma trickle. Sooner than later, you'll get that solid green!

I purchased a 12V Battery Tender Junior today for use on my motorcycle, but after noticing that it went into float mode fairly quickly, I thought I'd try it on the SGT....I've had it plugged in for several hours now and it is still showing a RED light indicating that it is charging...Just curious as to how long it might take for it to go into FLOAT mode on the SGT...I know that there is pretty much a constant draw on the battery, but even when it gets to 80% charge, it should show a blinking GREEN light....but mine is still RED..... :cry:

Carl, i bought a battery tender for my car for the winter. It took 2 or 3 days before my charger turned green. Remember ,these tenders are more for maintaining than charging. Once charged fully your light should stay green until you do something that takes juice from the battery . The good thing about these tenders is that they want overcharge your battery as they have just a trickle charge and will charge your battery to 100 percent without worry of over charging and frying your battery. If your battery is really low then i would recommend you use a regular battery charger to fully charge your battery then connect your battery tender to maintain.

Thanks for the information guys....I went out to the garage this morning and sure enough, I had a GREEN light....I guess I just figured that the Alternator on the car would keep the battery in a better state of charge....I drive the car almost every day, but the battery is a little over 2 years old now...

I've noticed the same thing with the jr. it topps off the atv battery in minutes but it takes a few hrs. on the car.

Something interesting I noticed is I put one the daily driver with quick connects, even after driving all week it takes a few hrs. to top off on weekends. As stated before the alternator doesn't seem to keep a battery at 100%. I love these battery tenders, I have 8 of them. I figure if they prolong the life of the battery for just 1 year (no doubt longer) they pay for themselves in no time figuring a decent battery is a $100 these days. The battery in my garden tractor is 16 yrs. old. (Yuasa)

3 Mustangs, 1 truck, 2 atv's, 1 garden tractor and the DD. All are hard wired except the mustangs so I can plug them in where they are parked.

Sounds like you could use a couple of the 4 bank chargers or the big 10 bank one....LOL

At the end of last years driving season, the wife and I went for a 2 1/2 hour ride. When we got home I cleaned the road off the car , put her in the garage and connected

up the battery tender. It instantly went to red light and stayed there for 3 hours before the green came on. 2 1/2 hours on the road , and it was not fully charged ?

The biggest problem when the battery goes dead is th window won't drop the 1/4 inch it should to open and close the door.

At the end of last years driving season, the wife and I went for a 2 1/2 hour ride. When we got home I cleaned the road off the car , put her in the garage and connected

up the battery tender. It instantly went to red light and stayed there for 3 hours before the green came on. 2 1/2 hours on the road , and it was not fully charged ?

The biggest problem when the battery goes dead is th window won't drop the 1/4 inch it should to open and close the door.

If you are going to be away from the car for a long time leave the window cracked. I leave mine cracked during storage in the winter. Rick

• 5 years later...

where do you connect the clamps of the charger? I know red goes to positive, but some say to put the black clamp on a grounded area like the chassis, but others say on the negative battery terminal. I've been connecting the black to the negative terminal while battery is still all connected to the car.

Bought my SGT from the original owner in July 2012.

I hard wired my tender to the pos/neg battery terminals running the wire inside the passenger fender and out under the front spoiler.

This way you don't have to lift the hood to connect the trickle charger.

BTW I'm still using the original battery on the 07SGT as well as another 2007 sports car.

I hard wired my tender to the pos/neg battery terminals running the wire inside the passenger fender and out under the front spoiler.

I did the same thing with my Shelby GTs, as well as the Ford GT. Just pull in the garage and connect the cable. Remember to disconnect it though although the connector seems to tolerate a live backing up disconnect :)

Bought my SGT from the original owner in July 2012.

BTW I'm still using the original battery on the 07SGT as well as another 2007 sports car.

Chris now that you have said it be prepared to purchase a new battery. Replaced mine two years ago.

Archived