TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need Help!

Matts

I'm about to buy a 1967 Mustang, it's the first time that I am going to chop the top off and convert it into a fastback. I'm in the market of a 1968 Fastback top has the window rake and rear glass. My question is is there anyone here that has experience with this or has seen this procedure in person? I need to know where to cut, where to weld and where this can be very structured and not flop around. I want to take all of the credit in the build, so I do not want to take it to a shop.

I'm about to buy a 1967 Mustang, it's the first time that I am going to chop the top off and convert it into a fastback. I'm in the market of a 1968 Fastback top has the window rake and rear glass. My question is is there anyone here that has experience with this or has seen this procedure in person? I need to know where to cut, where to weld and where this can be very structured and not flop around. I want to take all of the credit in the build, so I do not want to take it to a shop.

It might not be cheaper, but it would be much less work and quite a bit smarter if you just get yourself a FB body from Dynacorn...

http://www.dynacornclassicbodies.com/Ford_Models2.html

But if you do decide to do the chop, BE SURE TO COMPLETELY BRACE (overbrace) THE INTERIOR OF THE CAR BEFORE CUT NUMBER 1 IS DONE. If you don't, you will run into a nightmare of body panel fittimant problems all over the car, and the car will not track staight down the road.

The other obvious rule in this kind of work is to measure 1,000 times and only cut once. Believe me, if you have never done this kind of work before, with all due respect, you might be taking on more than you ever bargained for.

Telling you where to make the cuts in this forum would be very difficult, quite lengthy, if not flat out logistically prohibitive. Every car is structrally different so every car must be chopped up differently.

Good luck!!! salute.gif

Good like finding an entire roof of a 67-68 fastback that someone's willing to part with for a reasonable price.

You're much better off starting with either a classic fastback or a Dynacorn body like Enis mentioned. Regardless, a fastback isn't a cheap build no matter which direction you start out taking. Good luck.

Ken

This conversion is a really difficult job. Besides the roof, you'll need to get new door glass for the fastback (not cheap), new trunk, new rear window glass, etc. The uni-body style structure will begin to collapse out of allignment as you start cutting of the roof. I was just looking on Ebay and there are several 67-68 fastbacks for sale, rather cheap, that may be a better way to go. But if you can handle the frustration of this type conversion, then go for it !!! It would be interesting to see the results. Good luck.

Pretty sure the tops of the quarters are different too... The complexity of making the roof fit and making all the glass fit properly makes me cringe... I would want to see the bare inside of a factory fastback to see what will be involved in making the interior "right" too.

I don't want to be negative, but you will be putting an ungodly amount of time/effort/parts to do this, and you will still have a coupe vin# that won't bring nearly the money of a factory fastback car.... I would agree that you are WAY better off to buy a fastback to start with... the dynacorn body is a great option, but you'd still be better off buying a complete peice of shit fastback so that you would have the right VIN to go with it....

I do wish you luck either way though! If you still decide to try, read up on the body bracing done by hotrod guys that chop tops, even on framed cars, it's pretty extensive to keep everything in place.

I would love to buy a Dynacorn but that is way over my price range and I don't know how I would get it registered here in Texas. I'm getting the 1967 coupe for $250 only rust is in the floor boards and I'm getting the fastback roof for around $500. So If I can do this by myself I'll be saving A LOT of money. I'm very nervous about chopping the roof and I might have to take it to a shop that I trust. I've done custom projects like my 1939 school bus, but I've never chopped a car up.

Archived