TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is it worth it?

I was looking into trading my 09 GT500 with 700miles on the ticker for an 08 KR w/ 1300k, of course with cash. Im wondering how far apart am I with already owning a GT500 thats paid for to step up to a KR. I am currently in negotiations with a dealer, my car plus 19k. I currently have no payment on my GT500 and to be honest i'm thinking the car dealer is being real cool to me. If he sells the car, then so be it, it was not meant to be. My thinking was that the KR is really not much more than a hooded, wheeled GT500 anyway. But on the other hand I always loved having the so called "limited edition" cars. It all started with my limited 1980 Indy pace car Turbo Trans Am, then my 1993 Cobra and 2008 Shelby GT vert. My goal was to step up in the hierarchy of Mustangs to the best of my financial situation. I do love the aspect of the "limited status" of the KR, and the thought that in years to come it might in fact hold some value. This car will also accrue me a car payment but in fact could all be worth it. I was always thinking of putting a tune, pulley,flash, wheels and gears in my car anyway, on top of not being happy with my stripes (previously posted). I'm banging my head everyday on this. I would also love to eventually own a Ford GT but that will probably never happen, so Im thinking this would be the highest of Mustang levels I would ever own. I'm hoping this Mustang has some special meaning other than being a pretty GT500 I already own. I really like the help from everyone and you guys have made this decision a little easier and hope you will continue to help me until "IF" I sign the papers. Is it worth it. Here is the car.

Bn4uwwBmkKGrHqYH-CoEttqNdQ-0BLlULcm.jpg

My opinion: I wouldn't do it

Here's why:

1. The KR is not a new car, it's a used car

2. It's a 2008. You'll have to deal with the flywheel TSB in this car

3. The '09 KR's are fetching a tad more than the '08 KR's right now.

If the dealer takes your car plus $12 - 14K, then I would do it.

EDIT to add: If you do the deal anyhow, take the sequentials off your '09 and the signed airbag cover and put them in the KR.

My opinion: do it.

I totally disagree with your statement: "My thinking was that the KR is really not much more than a hooded, wheeled GT500 anyway. "

I own both--a 2009 GT500 (DD) and a 2008 KR. The KR is SO much more than just a few extra parts. The character of the two cars are like night and day. It almost defies "logic" since the KR starts its life as a GT500. I enjoy my DD--solid, smooth, and fast. But, the KR puts a smile on my face every time I turn the key, accelerate, or take a corner...

So, if you can only have one, go with the 40th Anniversary (just make sure to get all of the supporting documentation). It truly is a limited edition, and has a better chance of staying special, and keeping its value down the road. Of course, only you can decide if the car payment is "worth it."

Chris

HELL YEA ITS WORTH IT!!! As the other poster above said, I too have both cars. The KR is really different. As the poster said its hard to explain as it should be the same car but it is not. Night and day difference. The car just feels that good. If you can, I would definitely pull the trigger.

My opinion: Don't do it.

I absolutely love mine and obsessed over it for a while before buying it. I actually felt a connection to that KR. It felt like it was mine long before I actually bought it. I would not personally spend that kind of $ if you are "on the fence". If you have to have it then buy it but otherwise don't just because it's a KR. Plus it sounds as though you might not keep it for the time it requires to become truly valuable. If you think you might want the 2015 GT 500 with the twin turbo 700whp car ( I kid) and trade the KR on it just stick with your GT 500 and save the $19K loan. These are very special cars and are only worth it if you put the time in them to allow them to appreciate in value.

Also in my opinion only and I'll probably take a bunch of :censored: for this. This is NOT a DD! I drive the Bullitt every day and it's a blast to drive. I love to drive the KR as well but its not nearly as balanced or nimble in traffic. Again just my .02 YMMV

Another multi-GT500 owner here...I have to agree the KR is so very different than the other two GT500's I have had. My vert is a 40th also...but even with all the mods from that package, it is not as fun to drive or as cool as the KR in my opinion. Don't know if this particular one is the right deal (only you know that) but I HIGHLY recommend getting a KR.

Im thinking that this would be my last stop as an upper Mustang collectible. I never used my Mustangs as DD's anyway. I like just pulling it out for a 2 mile run, getting the looks and then putting it to sleep, or maybe a car show. Im only on the fence because I really want to know if the car is actually "worth it". The car payment I can deal with if the car is "worth it" I hope im explaining myself just right.

My opinion: Don't do it.

I absolutely love mine and obsessed over it for a while before buying it. I actually felt a connection to that KR. It felt like it was mine long before I actually bought it. I would not personally spend that kind of $ if you are "on the fence". If you have to have it then buy it but otherwise don't just because it's a KR. Plus it sounds as though you might not keep it for the time it requires to become truly valuable. If you think you might want the 2015 GT 500 with the twin turbo 700whp car ( I kid) and trade the KR on it just stick with your GT 500 and save the $19K loan. These are very special cars and are only worth it if you put the time in them to allow them to appreciate in value.

Also in my opinion only and I'll probably take a bunch of :censored: for this. This is NOT a DD! I drive the Bullitt every day and it's a blast to drive. I love to drive the KR as well but its not nearly as balanced or nimble in traffic. Again just my .02 YMMV

Scotty, I like the KR's, and you've chosen one that is a fairly tough color to find. Pre-owned '08 KR's are selling in the low to mid-$50,000 range - let's say $54,000. Your type of car is selling close to the $40,000 range - maybe more with the low mileage, but let's say $39,000. That is a spread of around $15,000 which is where I would want to be on a pre-owned 2008 KR. If I wanted the car bad enough, I'd go $16,000 to $17,000 difference. The dealer is close, but you'll have to decide if he is close enough.

Your 2009 GT 500 will depreciate faster and more than the KR's will, so the spread will only become larger between the two cars during the ensuing years. The other thing the KR has going for it is the Vista Blue color, which don't come up for sale very often.

The dealer is close, but it could be closer! I've been looking at the KR's also, but I'm waiting for the prices to drop more.

Go see the dealer, talk the talk and you should be able to make a deal. You're close.

Good luck! :doh:

The KR is a Shelby I would love to own...........but with the current economic mess and my Cobra project going, I won't be able to get one :banghead:. I know 10/15 years from now I will be kicking myself for not getting the KR.

So my opinion is do it. That way you'll have a fantastic car AND won't be kicking yourself later like I will.

We are at 19k right now. I offered $15k he said no and then said $22,500. I countered 19k. Believe it or not he is trying to get a buyer for mine and come down. He knows im interested and he did tell me there is nobody looking at the car as of now. My opinion is a thousand dollars or a little bit more in the grand scheme of things should not break me for what I percieve I am getting. I've never understood people who look to purchase houses and let deals fall through on a major purchase for a couple thousand dollars. I say if you really like it, a couple dollars should not break the deal. Just like my house. When I was looking back in 1999 my house was purchased a couple months before for 174,000 and my price was 192,500. I liked the property and offered $193,000. I got the house an hour later. Of course now its worth mid $400's but even if it was not I felt a couple thousand dollars to what I wanted was not worth losing. I have lost probably 50k on my last 6 new cars that I sold within a couple months so if this car is worth it as you guys can maybe tell me, I dont mind an extra buck.

And if you look on Ebay, these cars are really not even fetching $39k even with my miles.

Scotty, I like the KR's, and you've chosen one that is a fairly tough color to find. Pre-owned '08 KR's are selling in the low to mid-$50,000 range - let's say $54,000. Your type of car is selling close to the $40,000 range - maybe more with the low mileage, but let's say $39,000. That is a spread of around $15,000 which is where I would want to be on a pre-owned 2008 KR. If I wanted the car bad enough, I'd go $16,000 to $17,000 difference. The dealer is close, but you'll have to decide if he is close enough.

Your 2009 GT 500 will depreciate faster and more than the KR's will, so the spread will only become larger between the two cars during the ensuing years. The other thing the KR has going for it is the Vista Blue color, which don't come up for sale very often.

The dealer is close, but it could be closer! I've been looking at the KR's also, but I'm waiting for the prices to drop more.

Go see the dealer, talk the talk and you should be able to make a deal. You're close.

Good luck! :doh:

Go for it. KR's like the Shelby GT's. Might not be no more from Vegas thru Shelby. Before long the KR's will be bought up. If you have the time, shop around. Your low mileage 09 GT 500 and 19,000 will move a KR off the show room floor somewhere so shop around and be prepared to make the deal. The 08 's are just as good as the 09's. Don't let the TBS scare you from the 08's. It was a 9 month wait for the dealer to come around on a trade with me. Just like the other guys with KR's, some spent more money than others on this fine Shelby and GT 500's, Shelby GT/SC's has been traded with several hundred of dollars to boot. But at the end of the day, THEY HAD WHAT THEY WANTED. KING OF THE ROAD.

My opinion: I wouldn't do it

Here's why:

1. The KR is not a new car, it's a used car

2. It's a 2008. You'll have to deal with the flywheel TSB in this car

3. The '09 KR's are fetching a tad more than the '08 KR's right now.

If the dealer takes your car plus $12 - 14K, then I would do it.

EDIT to add: If you do the deal anyhow, take the sequentials off your '09 and the signed airbag cover and put them in the KR.

This is exceptionally good advice to the original poster in this thread. ++++++2!

We are at 19k right now. I offered $15k he said no and then said $22,500. I countered 19k. Believe it or not he is trying to get a buyer for mine and come down. He knows im interested and he did tell me there is nobody looking at the car as of now. My opinion is a thousand dollars or a little bit more in the grand scheme of things should not break me for what I percieve I am getting. I've never understood people who look to purchase houses and let deals fall through on a major purchase for a couple thousand dollars. I say if you really like it, a couple dollars should not break the deal. Just like my house. When I was looking back in 1999 my house was purchased a couple months before for 174,000 and my price was 192,500. I liked the property and offered $193,000. I got the house an hour later. Of course now its worth mid $400's but even if it was not I felt a couple thousand dollars to what I wanted was not worth losing. I have lost probably 50k on my last 6 new cars that I sold within a couple months so if this car is worth it as you guys can maybe tell me, I dont mind an extra buck.

And if you look on Ebay, these cars are really not even fetching $39k even with my miles.

Sounds like you've pretty much decided. Go for it!!!

After reading everyones comments, including your own, I stand by my opinion. You need to get the dealer down from $19k. You can find a brand new KR (in Vista Blue) for that deal. This is a "used" car, plus yours is a '09.

When I did my deal, I traded an '08 GT-500 for a brand new '09 Vista Blue KR for nearly the same deal you'll be getting. You're going the other way......trading a newer car for an older "used" car. You should go no higher than your car, plus $15k.

I don't know who it is you're talking to at the dealership but....it should be the "Sales Manager". Don't bother wasting your time with a salesman. It'll be a "dog and pony" show.

Can you hook me up with your dealer?

After reading everyones comments, including your own, I stand by my opinion. You need to get the dealer down from $19k. You can find a brand new KR (in Vista Blue) for that deal. This is a "used" car, plus yours is a '09.

When I did my deal, I traded an '08 GT-500 for a brand new '09 Vista Blue KR for nearly the same deal you'll be getting. You're going the other way......trading a newer car for an older "used" car. You should go no higher than your car, plus $15k.

I don't know who it is you're talking to at the dealership but....it should be the "Sales Manager". Don't bother wasting your time with a salesman. It'll be a "dog and pony" show.

My dealer was out of state and he had (3) KR's. an '08 Silver one, an '09 Red one (eventually purchased by "Real One"), and an '09 Vista Blue (the one I bought)

PM me if you're willing to travel a bit for one. Also, PM me your location in NY

I been looking to trade up and to me you have a great deal. My mileage is higher and its 08 and i would do it any way I would have to make a note.Blue is rare and holding there price.Been trying to deal with dealer and he is standing at what he wants I want it bad but my car and 30 grand will not happen for me. I will stay with a payoff car for now but still looking!!!!!!!!!

I been looking to trade up and to me you have a great deal. My mileage is higher and its 08 and i would do it any way I would have to make a note.Blue is rare and holding there price.Been trying to deal with dealer and he is standing at what he wants I want it bad but my car and 30 grand will not happen for me. I will stay with a payoff car for now but still looking!!!!!!!!!

PM me the dealer. I'll see if I can find you another VB KR. $30k difference is nuts.

I think if it is the car you dream of and want to own forever a couple grand is not worth fighting over. I don't know that your 2009 is worth $40K. I would think somewhere between $38K and 39K is about right. Add $16K to $17K for the Kr and I'd take the deal. Don't forget if you trade in you 2009 you may save a couple grand on sales tax depending on what state you live in.

You won't be disappointed with the KR.......Go buy that beast!

SVT

See I think you have it right because you are looking also and can see how hard it is to do this with minimal cash. Some may have only bucked up 15k and stepped up a year but man that has to be a rare case.

Are you talking the sales tax of taking my trade off the dealer price and only paying the taxes on the difference? If so that is standard.

I think if it is the car you dream of and want to own forever a couple grand is not worth fighting over. I don't know that your 2009 is worth $40K. I would think somewhere between $38K and 39K is about right. Add $16K to $17K for the Kr and I'd take the deal. Don't forget if you trade in you 2009 you may save a couple grand on sales tax depending on what state you live in.

You won't be disappointed with the KR.......Go buy that beast!

SVT

I also had a low mile 08 GT500 that I sold because I found a lower mile 08 KR (with the TSB sucessfully done). I bought it out of state and drove it home. I'm really happy with this car. IMO the upgrade between both cars is worth it, but I paid less than you are paying. If you really want it, just get it. Afterall, it is a 40th anniversary edition with the rarest color - a winning combo. :rockon:

I traded in a 07 GT500 with 3,000 miles on it for my 08KR0301. The deal was the trade plus $20K. I did get the 7 year extended warranty with the deal too, which was nice. I Love the KR and so much happier with it. Look a little longer and deal with dealerships that may have a new KR for the same difference. One of the comments I do agree with is that the one you are looking at is the 40th anniversary and it's Blue! Good luck and I'm sure you will get a KR!

Are you talking the sales tax of taking my trade off the dealer price and only paying the taxes on the difference? If so that is standard.

Yes that would be standard with any trade-in. My point was that the dealer is willing to take your trade where another dealer may give you a better price but not take your trade. If you have to sell your car outright you will not benefit from the sales tax savings.

You will love the KR. It has a completely different feel from a stock GT500. I have both and it always amazes me how different they feel/drive.

SVT

It all depends. The tax savings could be lost in that he gives me a loball trade in price. I guess my best way to do it is to sell outright. How much do you think the car is worth?

Yes that would be standard with any trade-in. My point was that the dealer is willing to take your trade where another dealer may give you a better price but not take your trade. If you have to sell your car outright you will not benefit from the sales tax savings.

You will love the KR. It has a completely different feel from a stock GT500. I have both and it always amazes me how different they feel/drive.

SVT

MustangScotty look around, check prices etc. Do the best deal you can and get r done.

I also owned an 08 GT500 from new and slightly modified it with 4100km. Traded it in for the KR with 32 km. No doubt a much smarter descion. I am fortunate to also own a Ford GT. Love it the best. But the KR is the next best thing for a Ford / Shelby factory car.

It is a low production colour car, and 40th aniv. to boot.

Scotty: I agree with your thinking. I wouldn't lose a car I loved over a couple thousand dollars. First, the car is local to you. That meant something to me. I wanted a Torch Red KR. Blue and Red are the rarest color. The year '08 or '09 I'm not sure wil make that much difference. Some guys like '09s some like '08. The '08 is the anniversary yera. There were less made in

'09 and it was the last year for the KR. Candidly, I didn't care, I just wanted a Torch Red and mine was at a dealer 5 minutes away. It was important to me to be able to see and touch the car before I bought it.

Sounds like you really want a KR otherwise you wouldn't be banging your head against the wall over the decision. The trade in is obviously a big factor. Will dealers out of State give you a better trade in on a car they can't inspect or touch? Thats a tough one.

You do get the benefit of the trade in as to sales tax. So that lowers the difference right there. You will only be paying tax on the price you pay for the KR less the trade in. That should put you real close.

Sometimes being able to see and touch what you are buying has a value in addition to the fact you don't have to pay to ship it. Factor that in.

I would not do it if you are using the KR as a DD. Stay with the GT500 in that case. You otherwise may defeat the value of owning a limited produciton car to some extent. by racking up huge mileage if you communte any great distance.

If you can afford it go for it if you can't get a better deal elsewhere. Sounds like you won't lose that much sleep over the the $2k more over what you wanted to pay very long but you likely will lose more sleep if someone walks in and buys the KR before you.

Just say'n

Well I sold my GT500 Friday and purchased an 09 Vista KR. Got a sweet deal from a dealer. $60k! 85k sticker It only has 16 miles. I just couldn't find the box for the brake duct hoses in the car and told the dealer about it. I told him it's an important part of the car. He's looking for it! Hope he can find it, but still won't break the deal for me. I went to check out the car today and........man! It's beautiful! Battery was dead from sitting there too long. I didn't want to say anything on here because I didn't want to jinx it. Still don't have the car in my possession but looking to pick her up on Mon. I want to thank everyone for putting up with this "Merry Go Round!" thread. It helped me alot to decide. Here are some cell phone pics. These pictures just do not do it justice. It looks just amazing in person! As soon as I get her I will post some real pics. Thanks again.

KR-1.jpg

KR2-1.jpg

Archived