TEAM SHELBY FORUM

BMR Adjustable Panhard Rod

I recently purchased BMR's adjustable Panhard Rod and brace for install next week. It will be used to center up the rear end after some new wheels are installed. On one of the other mustang forums a member said that it is recommended to replace all the old factory nuts and bolts with new ones. Anyway, I went to my local Ford dealer and when he priced out the new nuts and bolts they came up to around $50. I about crapped! Is it really necessary to replace the old with new? If so why? Car has about 4,000 miles on it. Thanks,

Dave

I didn't use new bolts w/ the panhard bar install, didn't even consider it really... Probably isn't a bad idea, but I don't think it's necessary on this particular part.

Same here...just removed old bar and installed new one with original hardware.....

These are 'torque to yield' bolts and designed to stretch when torqued properly. Once removed, they are permanently deformed and should not be re-used.

If re-used, they are weaker and much more likely to break than a brand new torque to yield bolt. This is the same reason why you don't re-use head bolts, cam sprocket bolts, connecting rod bolts, etc. While a hassle to have to spend the extra coin on over-priced Ford hardware, it's cheap insurance, especially if you ever drive your car hard.

Good luck.

Ken

img_7304_stretched-bolt-sm.jpg

Thanks everyone for the feedback. That's four against and one for the change - Now what to do?

Ken, do you now if all the bolts are the "torque to yield" version? I know when the parts guy priced them out one was like $16.00 anfd the other $15.00. Seems like alot.

^Sorry man I don't know which ones are which. The Ford parts guy you dealt with ought to know which need to be replaced. If not, call BMR.

I just remember paying an extra $100 or so for hardware when Griggs installed my rear suspension.

I don't track my car, so I'm not going to worry about it...I checked the bolts when I uninstalled them and none of them appeared to be bent like the one in Ken's post...If they break at some point I'll replace them, but until then or I start tracking the car, I'll leave the originals in there...

Just an update on this. I ended up calling BMR's Tech line and the guy there said to go ahead and reuse the old nuts and bolts. Thanks for everyone's feedback. I'll post pictures when I get everything installed.

Dave

Archived