TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT -Spare Tire & Jack Assembly

I've been searching around for a complete spare tire and jack assembly and finally located one this week. For those that don't know, the wheel alone costs $270 from Ford, and then you have to buy the tire and jack assembly. The complete tire, wheel and jack assembly can be found in salvage yards for anywhere from $125 to $175. When I received everything, I removed a tire from the car and made sure everything fit and worked properly. The wheel fit perfect and spun without any issues. I did have an issue with the lugnut wrench, as it was too large for the lugnuts. The lugnuts for my CS 69 wheels are 13/16" so I used a 3/8" drive 13/16" socket to remove the lugnuts. The 3/8" drive socket fits perfectly inside of the Ford lugnut wrench and removes the lugnuts without a hitch.

Attached are the pics of everything you need to convert your car from an air compressor/canister assembly - to include the factory jack instructions which I also received with my wheel and jack.

Footnote: You might need to carry a 2" x 8" x 20"(length) piece of wood block in the trunk to place under the tire so you are able to get your jack under the rocker panels in the unlikely event that you have a flat tire. (I made mine from two pieces of 2"x8" pine, cut one side at 45 degree angles and nailed them together.) Place the wood block behind the flat, back up onto the wood block, which will raise your car high enough so the jack fits under the rocker panel.

post-26281-126897198206_thumb.jpg

post-26281-126897215177_thumb.jpg

post-26281-126897221353_thumb.jpg

post-26281-0-22570600-1297292032_thumb.jpg

post-26281-126897198206_thumb.jpg

post-26281-126897215177_thumb.jpg

post-26281-126897221353_thumb.jpg

post-26281-0-22570600-1297292032_thumb.jpg

I have read that you should not use the doughnut spare on the rear as it can cause damage to the limited slip by having such different diameter tires on each side. Does anyone know if this is accurate?

I have the jack and wrench and on long trips I take it and one of my spare full-size wheel/tires. That tire is heavy though!!

the million dollar question is if the jack will fit under the car if you have a flat though...

The million dollar answer is NO.

And the shorter donut tire will cause you to bottom out as well or so I have been told by an SGT owner who found out the hard way..............buyer beware.

And the shorter donut tire will cause you to bottom out as well or so I have been told by an SGT owner who found out the hard way..............buyer beware.

Oh crap, I do carry a donut but never had to use it. I have the brembos upfront with 20'' wheels which further complicates things. My plan was to if I have a flat in the front I'd put the rear wheel to the front and spare donut on the rear, has anyone confirmed it will damage the limited slip? In that case I will just take out the donut and 75lbs low profile jack I carry with me at all time since mine is a DD.

This is the jack I have http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200326626_200326626

I have read that you should not use the doughnut spare on the rear as it can cause damage to the limited slip by having such different diameter tires on each side. Does anyone know if this is accurate?

I have the jack and wrench and on long trips I take it and one of my spare full-size wheel/tires. That tire is heavy though!!

I was told the same thing about the limited slip rear. I can't remember if it wasby one of the Ford mechanics or my friend who is a mechanic.

Dan

Personally, I don't care to be stranded on the roadway with gunked up rubberized air cans, therefore my suggestion here was to provide an additional alternative to the Ford rubberized cans and compressor. Blow-outs won't be repaired with this kit. A spare will get me on my way to a service station or tire shop.

The chance of being on a level, flat surface along a roadway when changing a flat tire aren't very promising. Hopefully, most here are capable enough to find a location to place a jack where it will be able to lift the car enough to change a tire if the jack does not fit in Ford's recommended location.

Besides my spare, my personal car kit contains tools, belts, jumper cables, a small compressor - flashlight combo, tire plug kit, fix-a-flat and a small piece of plywood to place under a jack .

As far as bottoming out, the max speed on the Mustang spare is 50 mph. The idea of the spare is to safely get you to a service station or tire shop to take care of your problem. I have no clue why your friend would bottom out his car on one of these spare tires. I drove mine around the block and had no problem at all. The diameter on the Mustang spare is 3/4" less than a stock tire.

Donut spares and inflatable spares have been in use for decades. The alternatives aren't very pleasant when you've been stranded with a flat and can't do much about it. Personally, I like to plan ahead for the unexpected and now have a couple alternatives if case I find myself out there with a flat tire.

I'm sure Ford did a little research on these tire kits before placing them in the Mustangs. If they are used for their intended purpose, they should work. By the way, my spare tire and jack kit was from a wrecked, 2008 Mustang.

Yes, my friend, it is true. Prolonged driving with a doughnut spare on the rear will damage the Limited Slip differential. Despite what is often seen around us on the highway, it was never designed or intended to be used more than getting you to the next service opportunity.

Happy motoring, gents.

Yes, my friend, it is true. Prolonged driving with a doughnut spare on the rear will damage the Limited Slip differential. Despite what is often seen around us on the highway, it was never designed or intended to be used more than getting you to the next service opportunity.

Happy motoring, gents.

Yes, my friend, you are correct, it is not intended for excessive or extended driving. It is intended to get you from point "A" to a repair shop.

By the way, the Ford spare is much larger than the typical "donut" spare tire as found on most cars. The dimensions for the Mustang spare are:

25 3/4" diameter, 7" wide

My Nitto tires are 275 x 40 x 18. They have a diameter of 26" The stock SGT tires diameter is 26 1/2"

The diameter difference of 1/4" to 3/4" is insignificant to affect anything when using this Ford "donut" tire as a spare.

Yes, my friend, you are correct, it is not intended for excessive or extended driving. It is intended to get you from point "A" to a repair shop.

By the way, the Ford spare is much larger than the typical "donut" spare tire as found on most cars. The dimensions for the Mustang spare are:

25 3/4" diameter, 7" wide

My Nitto tires are 275 x 40 x 18. They have a diameter of 26" The stock SGT tires diameter is 26 1/2"

The diameter difference of 1/4" to 3/4" is insignificant to affect anything when using this Ford "donut" tire as a spare.

So we find a wrecked Mustang GT 05-09 should work. I wonder what other ford vehicle 8.8 diffs have the same wheel bolt pattern as our SGT's? Thanks for the info.

Anybody know of a spare that would fit over the baer gt-plus brakes? My current plan is to just buy another front rim/tire and make my trunk floor like the rear seat delete kit with the spare half thru the floor, but not sure how soon i'm going to get to that...

the million dollar question is if the jack will fit under the car if you have a flat though...

The jack will work fine. For about $2.00 you buy a 2 ft length of 2x6 wood, cut in half, nail together, then cut an angle on one end, then when the flat comes, drive the car up on the wood, insert jack under car, then proceed with the tire removal. The wood will fit nicely in the rear seat area of the trunk, I even painted the wood black so you don't notice it in the trunk.

Happy motoring, gents.

Hello LuLu - long time no hear!!

I know they are not intended for prolonged driving. My concern is whether or not ANY driving will cause damage. I guess the question is what is considered prolonged, as the tire shop could be miles away.

edit - maybe the best answer is to buy one full-size super-light wheel w/ tire and keep it in the trunk.

I don't drive hours and hours away from home so for me the answer was an inflatable jack and a FULL SIZE stock rim and tire that I keep in my garage. My plan is, if I have a blow out, I will make a call to one of my friends and/or neighbors, and have them bring it to me. I can have the wrecked tire replaced at my convenience later.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I too have been banking on the "I already pay for AAA" mantra, even though that is a significant amount more of hassle and time than just rollin' out the spare and heading home. But as far as the spare goes, can anyone explain to me how this is any different than using a spare with a regular GT? I mean is there anything different in the rear ends from the 07-08 GT's to our cars? I didn't think there was any difference. Granted I've always been told no more than 50 miles or 50mph no a spare, but I'd think if you wanted to get a spare back in your trunk, the setup from an 07-09 GT would be exactly what you need.

And as far as big (front) brakes go, my idea would be the same as what I think I heard someone else mention above... if you blow a front, raise up the whole side and put the rear on the front (I run the same size all the way around)... and then put the spare on the rear. My question would be if the factory jack is capable of lifting one whole side?

Even if you have 20's, like myself... what does an '11 with OEM 20's come with? Seems to me that if it comes with a spare, that it should be fine to get you home or to a service station, no? Furthermore, what spare (if any), does the '11 with the big brakes come with? Aren't front Brembo's an OEM option now? What do they do?

I too have been banking on the "I already pay for AAA" mantra, even though that is a significant amount more of hassle and time than just rollin' out the spare and heading home. But as far as the spare goes, can anyone explain to me how this is any different than using a spare with a regular GT? I mean is there anything different in the rear ends from the 07-08 GT's to our cars? I didn't think there was any difference. Granted I've always been told no more than 50 miles or 50mph no a spare, but I'd think if you wanted to get a spare back in your trunk, the setup from an 07-09 GT would be exactly what you need.

And as far as big (front) brakes go, my idea would be the same as what I think I heard someone else mention above... if you blow a front, raise up the whole side and put the rear on the front (I run the same size all the way around)... and then put the spare on the rear. My question would be if the factory jack is capable of lifting one whole side?

Even if you have 20's, like myself... what does an '11 with OEM 20's come with? Seems to me that if it comes with a spare, that it should be fine to get you home or to a service station, no? Furthermore, what spare (if any), does the '11 with the big brakes come with? Aren't front Brembo's an OEM option now? What do they do?

The mini-spare and Ford OEM jack work just fine... I've used it routinely when I change out brake pads and rotate my stock 18" front rims from side to side... And have even used the "spare" when I had a right rear time go flat ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE RIM... No need for wooden blocks as the scissors jack will slide right under the frame rails and line up with the factory approved jacking points...

Now what it WON'T do is lift the entire side of the car... Nor will the spare be of much good if you are running any kind of "big brake" upgrade package... But if you are completely stock and drive the car, long distances or on a regular basis, then I highly recommend replacing the Fix-A-Flat with the mini-spare and OEM scissors jack...

Maybe when the weather stays nice enough, I will do a "How-To" with pictures and tape measures happy%20feet.gif

Now what it WON'T do is lift the entire side of the car...

Ya, I didn't think so, but say, you have front big brakes and front blow out, you could always just change the rear to the spare first, then change replace your blown front with the one you just took off the rear? I guess that would be my plan of attack.

I'm still curious what the 2011 GT's with 20's and big brakes come with though... if they come with a spare... THAT would seem like the one you'd want to outfit yourself with.... IF you have 20's and big brakes.... otherwise, the 07-09 GT setup seems to be the obvious answer.

• 3 years later...

I have always carried an inflatable jack that uses the exhaust to pump it up. It works well and tucks away easily.

Jim

i never tested out that "bladder jack", as i call it. i have one i keep in the trunk with the exhaust adaptor.

while I'm on here i was going to ask about the fix-o-flat/tire inflation kit that came with the Shelbys. I've never used the tire inflation kit. Can the compressor be used JUST as an air compressor without engaging the gooey stuff? i thought i keep it around to adjust tire pressures when i check them? the gooey stuff expired back in 2010 anyway. since i got the inflatable exhaust jack i no longer need a tire inflation kit. but want to keep the air compressor.

yeah its an old thread but didn't want to have to start a new one.

Archived