TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Ones That Got Away

thewheelman

I've been reminising with my son about cars I *almost* bought. I was 19, in college, driving a 65 Mustang coupe and this was when 65's were just begining to go up in price. A friend called me and said there was a "7 Leeter" Galaxy at a local dealer. I went there Friday evening before I went home for the weekend. Sure 'nuff, it was the real deal, 66 Galaxy, 427 Wedgehead, big oval breather, 4 speed, bucket seats, blue/blue (if I remember right)--awesome car, that 427 would sling that big ol' Galaxy around like a pup. I talked my way into trading my Mustang and $150 for it....out the door. My dad and mom were cool with it, but on the way back to the dealership on Saturday morning, we had to stop by my uncle's insurance office to see what it'd cost. That killed it as surely as if my uncle had put a .38 to it's head. I never really forgave him for that--that's why I used part of his inheritance money to adjust my budget up from a Mustang GT to the GT 500! Then there was this Volvo 164E that I almost talked my dad into trading the Buick for........but that's another story!

How about you?

In the mid 70's while I was attending college I came across a guy wanting to sell a 1968 Shelby GT500. It was white and was in pretty good shape. He had been restoring it a little and showed me things that still needed to be done. Like a little rechrome work. He said that he was trying to sell it for 5. I told him $500 seemed pretty cheap. :fool: He seemed a little insulted when he replied "that's $5,000".

I thought five grand for a Mustang was just nuts, even it was a GT500. Besides, there was no way I could afford that while going to college.

I keep telling myself that even if I had bought that car, I probably wouldn't have kept it long anyway...............

That's what I tell myself,............................. :unsure:

When I was gowing up I didn't have enough money to buy a car.......my first car was a 60's Ford Fairline 500 that I bought in 1975 for $400.00.....upgraded to a 70's 2 door Caprice Classic for $800.00....sold the Ford for $500.00......so, nothing got away......

The year was 1971 and I had two years of college to go.

Ad in the local newspaper was for a 1966 427 Cobra. The real thing!!!!

Two things held me and my brother from making the purchase.

One, the hood was missing!

Two, we didn't have the $5000 asking price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I kept my 1965 Mustang 2+2 K code 271HP and he kept his 1966 Dart GT.

We both wish we had those back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The year was 1974 and i was married living in Ft Lauderdale Fla. I came across a 1966 Shelby GTH black and gold for sale.The guy parked the car out side cause he didn't have a garage . My wife said how are you going to drive that car with out air cond in south Fl . I think he wanted $4500 for it "MINT COND ", but my wife was convincing so i passed on it. I bought a stupid Porsche 1974 914. 2 liter WITH air instead . I didn't get my Shelby GT 350 until 1983 when i traded even steven a 1971 Boss 351 for a 1969 Shelby GT350 . That night i sat in my garage until 3 am "just could not believe i FINALLY got my Shelby GT." I felt i got the better deal in that trade and i am sure the other guy felt he got the better deal .

Man, how many cars have gotten away from me…..

1986, I was 16, had a 6 cyl 3 spd Mustang coupe that I had partially restored over the previous two years, but the speed bug was on me hard. A fella that was leaving for college had a 69 GTO, 400 small block, 4spd, Cragars. He was willing to trade me straight across plus $500.00, he wanted a good gas car for school….lol. We even traded for the weekend….it was a done deal, until my Mom checked on insurance, well needless to say that deal died a violent death immediately. But that’s OK, I found my 68 Fastback a couple months later and it was much faster than that GTO was anyway! I was 17 years old with a 300rwhp car living 15 miles out of town with nothing but cattle and a two lane ribbon of asphalt between me and high school. I was totally out of control and loved every minute of it…..lol.

Then in 1992 there was the REAL 71 AAR Cuda that sold for $6,500.00 two months before I could come up with the money…it had sat outside for no kidding….10 years, completely neglected, next to it….a 72 Hurst Olds 442. At least he kept the Hemi Cuda in the fruit storage shed….no kidding

Then there was the Chevy Monza Spider V6 with all the bolt ons…..The 65 Barracuda….the Grabber Maverick with a 351C & 4 spd stuffed into it…..oh the memories. But I have been fortunate enough to own some really cool Mustangs over the years. This one is my favorite by far though.

I went with a friend to look at a Superbird in the early 80's in Winnie, TX. They wanted $4K for it and it was a total mess but ran. I don't remember if it had a Hemi or 440 under the hood but it had the big wing and rounded nose ........that car was huge. We walked away laughing thinking who would give $4k for that piece of junk?

SVT

1970 Challenger 440 6pk, slap stick, wrecked it in 1971-too young and had no fear. (Stupid)

1967 Shelby GT500 w/427so. Uncle's car. Passed on buying it for $8500 in 1981. No money-divorce. (She was stupid)

1970 Shelby GT350, 4sp. Bought for $8000 in 1984. Sold for $9000 in 1985. Needed cash (Broke/Stupid)

My SS makes up for it all!

My wife reminded me of another near-buy. It was about 1980 and we had just both gotten our first "real" jobs when I ran across a green GT 500KR in a neighboring town. He was asking $8800 but told me he'd let it go for $8000. Might as well been $80,000 at that time in our lives. I must have stopped and drooled on that thing for a month!

Archived