TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Track day damage

I don't know many of us here that has a more valuable 40th than Cobrafan and here we are at Hallet! Enjoy the ride I say!

Jon,

That's what they were built for and what I bought it for. Look forward to seeing you again at Mid America.

My girl just likes to look sexy here in the garage, but the day will be sooner than later to give her a good hard ride. Good luck at Mid-America you guys and have fun. Andy watch out for those corkscrews, glad to here you are alright.

Here's an update from a track day at Laguna Seca.

The first five laps of the first session was awesome. Amazing grip and speed compared to the Pirellis that come with the 40th's.

It was great right up to the point that this happened...

DSC01512_2.jpg

Part of the price we pay to play. :cry:

On the plus side, your Yongbloeds are a 3 piece wheel. That wheel is a 10-15 minute fix after you order the outside lip from Ryan (assuming that you didn't dent the other side too). It's about 200.00 or so. I have to fix mine this week too (same wheel too..lol) Your splitter..ouch.

Yeah tracking the car is definitely a rich man's (or from my perspective anyway) sport.

I couldn't afford the damn tires for the track much less the fees, and repair bills if the car was damaged.

Here's a nifty tid-bit for you... the new GTR comes equipped with a NAV and apparently will void your warranty if you track it... sends a little message to Nissan letting them know the location-- ouch :(

Part of the price we pay to play. :cry:

On the plus side, your Yongbloeds are a 3 piece wheel. That wheel is a 10-15 minute fix after you order the outside lip from Ryan (assuming that you didn't dent the other side too). It's about 200.00 or so. I have to fix mine this week too (same wheel too..lol) Your splitter..ouch.

Ryan's shop is just a few miles from my work so I was able to drop the wheel off to him last week. Should be ready in a couple days.

I have State Farm<, and mine is covered. shows it on my policy, and it does cost extra

Chris

In Kansas State Farm stopped covering anything track related; even the touring clubs and test and tunes. I spoke with agent who is a good friend today and inquired about switching.

He recommends checking with your agent for your State.

After I saw a fellow Shelby owner put his car into the wall at a track several years ago, I checked with my State Farm agent. He said I was covered. However this year, according to their policy revisions effective with my next renewal, State Farm is backsliding. "There is no coverage while a vehicle is being prepared for, used in practice for, or operated in any prearranged or organized racing, speed, hill-climbing, jumping, or other similar contest; or on a track designed primarily for racing. This does not apply if the vehicle is being used in connection with an activity other than racing, high speed driving, or any type of competitive driving."

• 2 months later...

It seems hard to believe but it's been 3 months since my "off track" excursion. I ordered the new splitter back in April. The first one Shelby sent was cracked. I sent it back and I got the new one a couple of weeks ago. Here's a few install pics.

Here's the new splitter next to the stock one. You have to drill some holes. 4 for the air dam.

DSC01978.jpg

And 4 for each side to connect to the wheel well

DSC01981.jpg

The new splitter has 4 holes instead of the 5 for the stock piece. This must be the "2nd gen" splitter.

DSC01977.jpg

Ready to install. With the Revan Racing C&R cooling package Griggs flipped the air dam over so it doesn't rub on the new cooler fins.

DSC01985.jpg

Back in business with the new splitter. When's the next track day? :D

DSC01987.jpg

DSC01988.jpg

DSC01989.jpg

• 4 months later...

I'll do my best :happy feet:

I did think about how the value would be affected. I looked at the older Shelbys. Other than a pure garage queen, there doesn't seem to be any difference in value. In some cases if the car has a good enough track history the values seem to be higher.

Either way I'm getting the max enjoyment out of my car. It's worth it for me. These cars are meant to be driven. :peelout:

I'll do my best :happy feet:

I did think about how the value would be affected. I looked at the older Shelbys. Other than a pure garage queen, there doesn't seem to be any difference in value. In some cases if the car has a good enough track history the values seem to be higher.

Either way I'm getting the max enjoyment out of my car. It's worth it for me. These cars are meant to be driven. :peelout:

Coudn't agree with you more, these car's weren ment to be driven. I have owned my 07 gt500 for two month's now it has almost 38000 miles on it. I have put about 1000 miles on sence I purchased this car. I believe letting one set is harder on one that driving it. Providing you do regular scheduled maintenance.

Previously I owned a 07 gt, when I traded it to the Shelby I only had 22000 miles on it. The Shelby out drive's the gt two to one. The Shelby is far more fun to drive.

Archived