TEAM SHELBY FORUM

400 HP LOOKING FOR A LITTLE MORE

elguapo916

Ok, so last year I get a 400 HP Whipple from Quantum and I'm very happy with the results, but I'm looking at getting a little more horspower w/out adding an intercooler. After reading endless posts and reading different magazines the options can get a bit overwhelming. I'd like to get some opinions on what I could add that would give me just a bit more performance and a classic sound. Here are some things I was thinking about.

Cams: FRPP Hot Rod with a SCT Tune

Throttle Body: FRPP Twin 62mm

Shorty FRPP Ceramic Headers

KR Mufflers: Sound great!

One piece drive shaft

Charge Motion Control Plates: Haven't decided which brand.

Innovators West Balancer

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance. :headscratch:

You might want to just try getting a custom tune. The FRPP tune that comes with the supercharger is VERY conservative and a lot of HP is left on the table. Also, the supercharger sounds a lot better too. You can really hear the supercharger whine with the custom tune. Attached is my dyno pull with the 400hp Whipple kit, SGT exhaust, and a custom tune.

post-3252-12687991709_thumb.jpg

post-3252-12687991709_thumb.jpg

I agree with getting the tune. 421 RWHP w/o and intercooler is great. Just make sure you keep the air/fuel safe when you get the tune. Out of all the other items you listed such as cams etc. You can intercool the s/c for about the same price as cams etc. If you do the work yourself. I think you are looking at about 1500.00 for cams, tune, labor. You can get the intercooler kit for less than that and it really is an easy install. You will be able to get more power for the dollar by going with the intercooler.

Guys, when you installed the 400hp kit did you upgrade to the GT500 dual pump and larger injectors?

Good luck with your choice. I really liked the numbers of the tune.

-Billy

I agree with getting the tune. 421 RWHP w/o and intercooler is great. Just make sure you keep the air/fuel safe when you get the tune. Out of all the other items you listed such as cams etc. You can intercool the s/c for about the same price as cams etc. If you do the work yourself. I think you are looking at about 1500.00 for cams, tune, labor. You can get the intercooler kit for less than that and it really is an easy install. You will be able to get more power for the dollar by going with the intercooler.

Guys, when you installed the 400hp kit did you upgrade to the GT500 dual pump and larger injectors?

Good luck with your choice. I really liked the numbers of the tune.

-Billy

THE BIGGEST PROBLEM IF HE ALREADY HAS THE GT500 FUEL PUMPS WILL BE

INCREASING HIS HORSE POWER WITHOUT HIS FUEL INJECTORS BE MAXED

OUT IN REGARDS TO THEIR DUTY CYCLE. I KNOW THAT ON MY SHELBY GT/SC

THE INJECTORS ARE RUNNING AT 80% OF THEIR DUTY CYCLE WITH THE GT500

FUEL PUMPS. SO IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE GT500 FUEL PUMPS YOU WOULD

BE BEST OFF GETTING THEM AND A INTERCOOLER TO PRODUCE THE MOST

H.P WITH A CUSTOM TUNE FOR THE LEAST AMOUNT OF MONEY. IMO

SCOTTY

Cams: FRPP Hot Rod with a SCT Tune - Hot Rods aren't a good choice with a blower. If you do cams, pick a Comp cam with a blower grind. If you install yourself, you'll be looking at about $800 for a stage 1 cam. If you want real power gains and a nice lope, you'll need to spend several hundred more on at least valve springs and retainers. If you farm it out, you'll spend at least $1k on labor.

Throttle Body: FRPP Twin 62mm - The stock TB isn't a major source of restriction on a mild build like yours. You will gain very little from a TB alone. In order to really benefit from a TB, you need to open up your exhaust, build your heads, add high lift cams, etc.

Shorty FRPP Ceramic Headers - These will net you a few HP in the mid-RPM range. Again labor costs are high on these.

KR Mufflers: Sound great! - They do sound great, but you will gain 0 HP from this mod.

One piece drive shaft - Very little HP gains for the $.

Charge Motion Control Plates: Haven't decided which brand. - You no longer have the OEM plates to 'delete' if you're running a Whipple.

Innovators West Balancer - IW makes a shiny damper. For the $, I'd go with ATI. The only way you're gaining power is by buying an oversized damper. This is a good mod, but without an intercooler, I wouldn't recommend spinning that blower any faster than it already is.

Any other ideas?

See my responses above in bold. The short answer is to first add the intercooler, then resume your mods. Good luck.

Ken

Great info as usual

Charge Motion Control Plates: Haven't decided which brand. - You no longer have the OEM plates to 'delete' if you're running a Whipple. :doh:

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate the help. :shift:

The 400HP kit does not need the dual fuel pumps if left as 400HP kit. Even with a tune there is enough fuel to support extra power. Personally I like the thump and crackle of a good cam. In my case though the best way to get "a little more" was with a tune. The tune took me from 330HP to 383HP safely. The car ran much better with excellent drivability and you could really hear the SC whine under boost. After weighing some other options I just bit the bullet and bought the Big Boost kit from Ford Racing. With the kit installed the car is a animal with 12lbs of boost and torque everywhere. It seems Ford obviously tuned the Big Bosst kit more aggresively and didnt restrict the torque mangement like it did with the 400HP kit because it wasnt intercooled and a few other reasons like fuel system and a warranty. Now after purchasing the kit and talking with a few ford insiders 440HP at the wheels is a real world number for my SGT. Plus it passes emissions and drives like stock with good fuel economy for a 500HP car. I guess what Im saying after all this is try a reputable tuner first and take it from there. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

You might want to just try getting a custom tune. The FRPP tune that comes with the supercharger is VERY conservative and a lot of HP is left on the table. Also, the supercharger sounds a lot better too. You can really hear the supercharger whine with the custom tune. Attached is my dyno pull with the 400hp Whipple kit, SGT exhaust, and a custom tune.

Where did you get your tune at? I have heard that the stock fuel pumps are running on the edge at 400 hp?

The 400HP kit does not need the dual fuel pumps if left as 400HP kit. Even with a tune there is enough fuel to support extra power. Personally I like the thump and crackle of a good cam. In my case though the best way to get "a little more" was with a tune. The tune took me from 330HP to 383HP safely. The car ran much better with excellent drivability and you could really hear the SC whine under boost. After weighing some other options I just bit the bullet and bought the Big Boost kit from Ford Racing. With the kit installed the car is a animal with 12lbs of boost and torque everywhere. It seems Ford obviously tuned the Big Bosst kit more aggresively and didnt restrict the torque mangement like it did with the 400HP kit because it wasnt intercooled and a few other reasons like fuel system and a warranty. Now after purchasing the kit and talking with a few ford insiders 440HP at the wheels is a real world number for my SGT. Plus it passes emissions and drives like stock with good fuel economy for a 500HP car. I guess what Im saying after all this is try a reputable tuner first and take it from there. Good luck.

Where did you get your kit and how much was it to buy?

Where did you get your tune at? I have heard that the stock fuel pumps are running on the edge at 400 hp?

My custom tune was done by Dan over at ProDyno in Fort Mill, SC. Their website is www.pro-dyno.net. As for the fuel pumps, my setup has been fine for over a year now. The setup looked good on the dyno and the stock pumps were supplying plenty of fuel.

• 5 months later...

Ok, so last year I get a 400 HP Whipple from Quantum and I'm very happy with the results, but I'm looking at getting a little more horspower w/out adding an intercooler. After reading endless posts and reading different magazines the options can get a bit overwhelming. I'd like to get some opinions on what I could add that would give me just a bit more performance and a classic sound. Here are some things I was thinking about.

Cams: FRPP Hot Rod with a SCT Tune

Throttle Body: FRPP Twin 62mm

Shorty FRPP Ceramic Headers

KR Mufflers: Sound great!

One piece drive shaft

Charge Motion Control Plates: Haven't decided which brand.

Innovators West Balancer

Any other ideas?

Look in my opinion you shouldn't have gotten the 400 hp unit. That' not much more than stock? Why spend the cash. Go H/O all the way. Much more faster than 400 unit. Not much more cash. Too late for that though right? You can only get so much out of it.

• 1 year later...

Ok, I realize the option of an intercooler is the best for more hp. The fact is I like the ride and drive of my non-intercooler whipple, but like the option of adding a little more hp at the flip of a switch. I have FRPP shorty headers, ATI balancer, one piece drive shaft, and free flowing cats w/KR ends. Does anyone have a twin charged set-up w/ nitrous? Was thinking of a 40 shot of nitrous or maybe a methanol/water injection. Basically love the 400 whipple, but on a track day a little on demand hp would be the goal. Plus, either injection would help to cool the mix. Any opinions? Does anyone have either set-up? Any tuning issues?

Thanks

Archived