TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Preventing theft... Remove fuel pump relay??

Hey everybody,

While changing my fuel filter last night, simultaneously removing the fuel pump relay for safety, I realized that it would be quite difficult to steal a car without a fuel supply.

My weekend is as follows:

Thursday - leave So Cal for Vegas. Stay in Vegas Thursday night.

Friday - spend day in Vegas, head to Valencia, CA. Stay at hotel in Valencia.

Saturday - event in Valencia..

So.. while it is somewhat of an inconvenience popping the hood and removing the relay, it is reassuring to know that it would be nearly impossible to steal my car without that relay.

My question for you guys: is it 'safe' to keep pulling the relay on multiple occasions? (more than once every year or so?). The car already has a Viper alarm and LoJack with early warning.. but still.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

If someone who knew what they were doing, like myself, noticed the relay missing, it would be fairly easy to jump it out with a piece of wire.

Yes, true. Well wait, the relay has four prongs, not two - is it that easy using one wire?

Besides, at that point, they would have to get into the car (alarm going off), try to start it (alarm will kill it), realize it doesn't start (no fuel), pop the hood, find the fuse box, jump the relay, and try to drive off. Oh wait.. there is a CLUB on the steering wheel.

All while this is going on, someone is bound to notice.

Once they do get away, LoJack calls my phone, my parents' house, and my sisters' house.

Yes, true. Well wait, the relay has four prongs, not two - is it that easy using one wire?

Besides, at that point, they would have to get into the car (alarm going off), try to start it (alarm will kill it), realize it doesn't start (no fuel), pop the hood, find the fuse box, jump the relay, and try to drive off. Oh wait.. there is a CLUB on the steering wheel.

Once they do get away, LoJack calls my phone, my parents' house, and my sisters' house.

I didn't say it was going to be easy. :hysterical:

The other two terminals of the relay are the coil, which connects the other two sides together when energized, but with a piece of wire across those other two terminals, the coil is basically jumped out.

I doubt any thief will be looking at the fuel relay it they can't get it started. There are many ways to disable a car to include security systems, so most thiefs would move on to something else without trying to analyze why a potential "mark" won't start.

I doubt any thief will be looking at the fuel relay it they can't get it started. There are many ways to disable a car to include security systems, so most thiefs would move on to something else without trying to analyze why a potential "mark" won't start.

For what it's worth, I concur with this assessment. Most creeps (not all) don't wan't the hassle or want to spend too much time messing with a car trying to steal it. If they want your bad enough, they will just hook it up to a tow truck and haul it away alarm blasting and all, and a missing/removed fuel relay won't matter to them.

Trust me, if they REALLY want it, it'll be hauled off on a flatbed or inside an enclosed trailer or truck....alarm sounding or not, how many people actually pay any attention to those? Yes, the LoJack will help you recover it if they don't find it and get rid of it first...but like I said, where there is a will, there is a way, and criminals will go way out of their way to get what they want....

Trust me, if they REALLY want it, it'll be hauled off on a flatbed or inside an enclosed trailer or truck....alarm sounding or not, how many people actually pay any attention to those? Yes, the LoJack will help you recover it if they don't find it and get rid of it first...but like I said, where there is a will, there is a way, and criminals will go way out of their way to get what they want....

Yes, that's the unfortunate truth. :cry:

I am certain that the LoJack works.. I needed to replace the battery in the transponder unit on my remote.. Since the unit had a dead battery, it was technically "not in the car" when I drove a few miles. As a result, LoJack called all of my assigned contacts and informed me to check on my car. Quite awesome to say the least.

If the unfortunate were to ever happen, I guess that's what insurance is for.. :(

For what it's worth, I concur with this assessment. Most creeps (not all) don't wan't the hassle or want to spend too much time messing with a car trying to steal it. If they want your bad enough, they will just hook it up to a tow truck and haul it away alarm blasting and all, and a missing/removed fuel relay won't matter to them.

I actually have thought about trailering the car to Vegas. I am taking it out there for some warranty work. However, it's 22+ MPG with the Shelby, versus 11 MPG with the dually/enclosed trailer.. (well plus the trailer needs tires..)

Besides, staying at various motels, and driving through the strip, just doesn't seem fun/convenient with a dually and a twenty foot trailer.

All you are doing is slowing down the amateurs, the pros will get it anyway. I've seen them grab cars in the Bronx by backing into them with a metal beam welded to a tow boom, they go through the windshield, lift it up and go. Drive around the block, strip it, then drop the caress back on the street, Lo-Jack and crook hook still attached. They suck.

All you are doing is slowing down the amateurs, the pros will get it anyway. I've seen them grab cars in the Bronx by backing into them with a metal beam welded to a tow boom, they go through the windshield, lift it up and go. Drive around the block, strip it, then drop the caress back on the street, Lo-Jack and crook hook still attached. They suck.

:rant::mad:

Well.. I will just take my chances..

I

Instead of pulling the relay in my 89 mustang, I use to wack the fuel safety switch in the trunk. That would shut the fuel off for a no start but like they say if they want it they will get it. Then just reset it when your ready to go, I use to do this alot at home so my brother couldn't take my car for a joy ride.

^Have you had a car stolen in the past?

No. It's just that the Shelby attracts a lot of attention and I would hate for it to be a target. I guess if you really think about it, if I didn't take the Shelby, I would take an F-250 or 350, which, as one could imagine, would probably be a heck of a lot easier to steal, and wouldn't be as obvious.

I guess I shouldn't be too concerned. I have taken the car to school for the past three years, Disneyland multiple times (in a very large, unmonitored parking structure), the SD Zoo, work, all over town, my sister's house in Escondido (where their cars were broken into three times), mall parking structures, etc., etc., etc.....

My '65.. that's an entirely different story.. I won't let that car out of my sight unless I am at a car show.

^With the alarms and tracking device you've already got, I wouldn't sweat it too much. If they want it badly enough, it's gone. At least you'll be able to recover it on the off chance that someone took it. I hear ya on the classic. I had my 66 fastback on lockdown as much as I possibly could and still lost sleep over it at night. Those ones are just too easy to lose just like that.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah thats the Bronx.

Archived