TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Now I'm back to being satisfied

Doug_GT350

Edit: MyWickedShelby, Grsybtch, Bloomy63 and myself looked it over and it appears that the SuperCharger is about 1/8" back from everything else!

I guess I'll have to do some accurate measurements and have a shim made up. It's too bad the people installing these units couldn't check that out before they send you out the door!

You showed it to Wicked? No wonder you are having trouble! LOL!!! :hysterical3:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Edit: MyWickedShelby, Grsybtch, Bloomy63 and myself looked it over and it appears that the SuperCharger is about 1/8" back from everything else!

I guess I'll have to do some accurate measurements and have a shim made up. It's too bad the people installing these units couldn't check that out before they send you out the door!

Sorry meant to quote this way! But still, you trust Wicked? Really?

Sorry meant to quote this way! But still, you trust Wicked? Really?

I trust Wick. I told him about my current set up and he told me not to worry because we don't drive it much. :hysterical:

Hey Dougie - I'm glad we talked Saturday. I plan on going over hers with the Tech and triple checking everything. The Thumper will be on stand by for a few. But I will put one in. Piece of mind.

Not trying to put the Voodoo curse on you; but I talked to Dennis and Mike at Whipple and they recommened their new tensioner. Check the Whipple website. The only problem is the pulley isn't a 90 mm. The stock tensioner has issues when you supercharge your car. It is a known fact.

And, isn't that new Whipple tensioner arm the same one Thump RRR sells - only the Whipple tensioner is stamped with Whipple's name.

Not trying to put the Voodoo curse on you; but I talked to Dennis and Mike at Whipple and they recommened their new tensioner. Check the Whipple website. The only problem is the pulley isn't a 90 mm. The stock tensioner has issues when you supercharge your car. It is a known fact.

Not being nasty Dave, and I know it's not a question you can answer but I'll throw it out there... if they recommend it so highly why wasn't put on the car when the upgrade was done? :headscratch:

Dustin at Whipple replied with the follow statement.....

"What they need to do is open the tensioner to max position with a breaker bar. With a sharpie, draw a line across the rotating arm and the base. This shows the max position open.

Then install the belt, put at max open on tensioner. Start motor, let idle a few minutes, then rack the throttle 4-5 times. You can also watch the belt during this time, to see if its tracking properly, if something else is bent, then it won’t track true.

Now that the belt is hot, it will stretch .5-1”. They should be able to see the tensioner has now moved in its position, so they’ll need to slide the idler down more, and get the tensioner back to the max positon. After running 50-100 miles, they should check again to verify it has not moved, if it has, then it needs to be re-adjusted."

Now I'm not saying this is wrong, but I'm wondering how many people out there follow this proceedure?

Broke the belt on my GT/SC after 800 miles! After spending a few days brooding and complaining I ordered the Steeda Whipple Belt Drive http://www.steeda.com/products/whipple_accessory_blower_drive.php just now! Anyone try this setup? I've seen some real nice reviews, its aweful pricey, but I figured the belt was $100 and the Thumper is $400, so I'm up to 5 already and still should replace the other pulleys, so the Steeda kit didn't seem too crazy for what you get with it. Underdrive accessory pulleys and a little more crank to blower pulley ratio for a bit more boost.

Anyway, had to post, this $1329 was the most expensive broken belt ever!! But now I'm pretty excited.

I like the idea of a dedicated blower belt, but dont' like the idea of notching the hood for it... I'd like to see pics of how much is cut out of the hood bracing if someone has done this.

Dustin at Whipple replied with the follow statement.....

"What they need to do is open the tensioner to max position with a breaker bar. With a sharpie, draw a line across the rotating arm and the base. This shows the max position open.

Then install the belt, put at max open on tensioner. Start motor, let idle a few minutes, then rack the throttle 4-5 times. You can also watch the belt during this time, to see if its tracking properly, if something else is bent, then it won’t track true.

Now that the belt is hot, it will stretch .5-1”. They should be able to see the tensioner has now moved in its position, so they’ll need to slide the idler down more, and get the tensioner back to the max positon. After running 50-100 miles, they should check again to verify it has not moved, if it has, then it needs to be re-adjusted."

Now I'm not saying this is wrong, but I'm wondering how many people out there follow this proceedure?

apparently not Tasca!

oh and by the way, I emailed them (Tasca) today myself......the hood scoop they put on Dales SGT is falling off!

Not being nasty Dave, and I know it's not a question you can answer but I'll throw it out there... if they recommend it so highly why wasn't put on the car when the upgrade was done? :headscratch:

Probably for the same reason that our SGTs didn't come with the lower grill insert! :spend:

This is something that I've never understood. If Whipple does recommend it then it should be put on as part of the package. What is a few hundred extra bucks compared to having to deal with the Issues that Doug has? I think they call that "Priceless."

Dougie - hers is suppose to be completed later this week. You might get a call from me.

M

Probably for the same reason that our SGTs didn't come with the lower grill insert! :spend:

This is something that I've never understood. If Whipple does recommend it then it should be put on as part of the package. What is a few hundred extra bucks compared to having to deal with the Issues that Doug has? I think they call that "Priceless."

Dougie - hers is suppose to be completed later this week. You might get a call from me.

M

no prob you have my number now I think :hysterical: Just remember to retighten the belt everytime you get gas! I don't mean after tacos either!

Last Friday at the Track in Tulsa I blew a Whipple 4 inch pulley which in return chewed the belt it also chewed into the lower pulley.

Michael at Whipple was very awesome and said no problem about sending another pulley and Belt. The dealership Apple Valley Ford is another story they charged me $90 to install this when I could have easily done it myself in 15 minutes. I am extremely pissed at Apple Valley Ford as well over something much bigger than this I will let you guys know the details if they do not resolve the problem.

I just installed the Steeda setup on Friday, haven't had time to take pictures, but I can share a few thoughts. The notch in the hood ended up being bigger than I expected, but not so bad that it would have changed my mind. Had to cut away the center support (just below the hood scoop), about 3-4 inches wide, down to the part thats attached to the hood. (The support buldges out like a U with a top on it). I need to get some Vista blue paint, but I don't think it will really stand out once its smoothed out and painted. I used the orange gasket maker trick to mark the place to cut (Put tape on top of the new snout and blower pulley, than put a good layer of gasket maker on it and close the hood, marks where to cut perfectly) Just make sure to push down on the hood to simulate wind pushing it down to make sure it will clear when the engine rocks.

The install itself was a b*tch, took me alot longer than the 3 hours Steeda advertises. Didn't help that I had to run out in the middle to rent a 3-prong pulley puller to get the crank pulley off (I bought the wrong tool the night before) and a 10mm socket that was probably just in the wrong drawer that I couldn't find lol. Definitely need 2 people to lift the blower in and out of the car. Also, there isn't a good way to drain the intercooler water, I ended up with half of it on the package tray under the radiator, not a big deal just messy. The supplied accessory belt is seriously tight, borderline on being the wrong belt. The kit comes with a smaller billet pulley to replace the passenger side idler, which I think was 90mm. In order to get the belt on we replaced the 100mm drivers side idler with the 90mm and it was still TIGHT!

Belts are quiet tho, no squeal, and definitely no belt slip, but I am down on boost. The stock 3.25" blower pulley was putting out 10-11#'s of boost, this kit is supposed to push that up 1 pound, but I am only getting 9 psi, and 10 just before redline. The blower bolts seem tight, and the actuator is working, only thing I can think of is the intake isn't on right and is leaking air after the MAF. Would that cause low boost?

I really wish Tasca would have told me about this up front when I would have had the option of them installing it. Having dropped 15g on the install and a few options, it really pisses me off to have to drop another 1300 on this kit and install it myself and now figure out the boost myself. If I knew this I would have installed the whole thing myself and saved a good chuck of money!!

I like the idea of a dedicated blower belt, but dont' like the idea of notching the hood for it... I'd like to see pics of how much is cut out of the hood bracing if someone has done this.

• 2 weeks later...

Well last night I finally got around to getting some measurements off the serpentine belt..... what a cluster f :censored: k! from what I can tell it looks like the power steering unit is the culprit, it looks to be at least a quarter inch (6mm for you folks who use the metric system) back from everything else! I didn't think that had to removed during the install unless the intercooler piping got in the way? I'll need to get some help to get some better measurements. I'll probably take the belt off and go over the whole front of the engine, I guess I shoulda just done it myself and not cared about the registry!

Does anyone know what, if any, pulleys are removed during the install? I know I was given the one idler back but that was all I saw. I'm wondering what could have been put back on wrong or outa whack. I guess my learning curve will continue! On a positive note I have two more belts on order so I should be good until the end of summer! :banghead:

• 3 months later...

Not to highjack this thread.... but rather than start a new one, i'm curious if any of you guys would know the answer to this:

I was planning on getting a black alternator and a new dampener, but combined it's looking like $800+, so considering the 10 rib belt drive setup as an alternative to dress up my engine bay... It looks like the 3.25" pulley @ 12psi is the mildest option, would that be pushing the stock block too far?

I wish I would have considered this prior to spending all the loot on the thump tensioner and pullies!

• 1 month later...
Anyone thinking about SC'ing their ride, think twice! For me it wasn't worth it! At least not yet............

Doug,

I'm knocking on wood as I write this but my 500HP Whipple GT/SC has 15,000 miles on it (over 10,000 with the SC) and it has the original belt and the stock tensioner. The car has been faultlessly reliable and it's blisteringly fast. Without the SC it was a pretty cool car but not all that special. With that SC under the hood it is the fastest, most unbeatable street car short of the Ford GT. Once you get your pulleys aligned you will love that SC.

Chip

I don't know Doug. It's got to be an alignment issue. So far hers is holding up even though it's only been driven 100 + miles since the upgrade. You know the story there. :hysterical:

Anyway, I pushed that car hard one day trying to see if the belt would hold up. It has...knock wood.

Doug,

I'm knocking on wood as I write this but my 500HP Whipple GT/SC has 15,000 miles on it (over 10,000 with the SC) and it has the original belt and the stock tensioner. The car has been faultlessly reliable and it's blisteringly fast. Without the SC it was a pretty cool car but not all that special. With that SC under the hood it is the fastest, most unbeatable street car short of the Ford GT. Once you get your pulleys aligned you will love that SC.

Chip

Let's just say it has been taken care of!!!

P1020086.jpg

Archived