TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Now I'm back to being satisfied

Doug_GT350

I just took the car out for short run. The weather was nice today so I washed it up and took a 25 mile ride to Lowe's and got gas. I never even took the traction control off! I get home and find a 1/4" sliver of belt sticking out from under the car..... WTF!!! Open the hood and tada! I'm running a narrow belt now! :angry22: I just had the car SC'd at Tasca in November (workorder shows mileage at 2750, odie is now at 3300) paid $13,000 and drove it home 250 miles. The next weekend I'm proud to show it to my friend, big Ford fan! Long story short she shreds the belt that Tasca put on. Can't find any so I order 2 from NAPA, 1 week delivery. Limp the car home with the stock belt and park it for the winter(no insurance Dec, Jan & Feb). I drove it about 20 miles all winter (3 trips to charge the battery). I had it out a week ago for about a 25 mile trip also. Looks like I have to order more belts! :banghead: I have to go take more blood pressure medicine........

Anyone thinking about SC'ing their ride, think twice! For me it wasn't worth it! At least not yet............

post-25056-126878368666_thumb.jpg

post-25056-126878371439_thumb.jpg

post-25056-126878368666_thumb.jpg

post-25056-126878371439_thumb.jpg

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there enough room in the engine bay to check the pulley alignment with a straight edge?

Been doing some research online and found this:

http://www.lightningforceperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=235_194&products_id=1342

The stock tensioner is OK for a stock motor. With adding a turbo, blower or even a high HP NA motor, you are stressing the belt system. The stock tensioner is thin and flimsy. If you pull a brand new stock tensioner out of the box and put a straight edge on the arm, it is straight. Once you mount it on the car and put a belt on it to load the tensioner, you can see it already bending if you put a straight edge on it loaded. Many times this can cause a belt to "walk" or shred prematurely.

Install the new Whipple Billet Belt Tensioner kit and stop the bending, movement and slip.

Found this on steeda's website:

http://www.steeda.com/products/whipple_accessory_blower_drive.php

An expensive fix since you already spent 13k

Also found this:

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87003

I read through all the posts and it looks like there are supercharger pulley alignment issues because of tolerances with engine assembly & supercharger installation. The guys with the problems called whipple tech line, told them about the problem, gave whipple the required measurement and whipple made them a shim for behind the supercharger pulley.

Looks like one of the guy's on that site sells an 8 rib pulley kit as well, but the alignment issue needs to corrected first.

Here is the link to what I think is the correct 8 rib kit:

http://www.bggperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_13&products_id=34

After reading all the other stuff it looks like I'm having the same problem, tensioner! It looks bent, see pic. Oh well looks like I start saving my pennies! It sucks, spend all that money only to have the freakin' thing parked in the garage for a couple more months! I wish the powers to be that do these things for a living would have given me the option of upgrading the tensioner when the install was done. It would've been a whole lot easier! ....... my freakin' chest hurts, time for more meds..........

post-25056-126878893273_thumb.jpg

post-25056-126878893273_thumb.jpg

Doug, the same thing happened to me, on my first drive no less. I posted some info on this in another thread regarding my car. Here is the thread: http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/54303-shelby-gtsc-is-back-from-sai/page__p__922920__fromsearch__1entry922920

I added the Thump RRR tensioner pulley with the 90mm pulley. It cost around $350.

Next check the top idler pulley on the driver's side. It needs to be a 100mm pulley. Mine was the stock 90mm pulley which someone forgot to change out during the GT/SC conversion. (This idler pulley needs to be 100mm per Whipple's manual that comes with the kit.) If it still has the stock 90mm idler instead of the 100mm pulley on the driver's side, you will have almost 1/2" more slack in the belt under load - which does not help the belt stay in place. This supercharger belt definitely does not do well with too much slack under heavy load.

There is also a $50 plate available to strengthen the stock tensioner arm - which keeps it from flexing - but with that much money in the conversion, I opted for the much stronger Thump RRR tensioner.

Thump RRR can be reached at 973/707-6019. Ask for Peter, the owner. He'll take care of you. Make sure it comes with the 90mm pulley on the tensioner - and not the stock 76mm Mustang pulley.

Again, the tensioner pulley needs to be 90mm, the idler pulley on the top of the driver's side needs to be 100mm.

I feel your pain, my friend, as I had a huge case of the ass when mine shredded. The next day I was on the phone with Whipple and unloaded on them! What really pisses you off is they know about it and will try and sell you a Whipple tensioner arm, which is the same one Thump RRR manufactures and sells, only with Whipple's name on it. This belt issue has been discussed on many forums on the "net" and it needs to be addressed by Whipple - and, it shouldn't be at our expense.

Below is a pic showing the pulley setup I've discussed:

post-26281-126879286593_thumb.jpg

post-26281-126879286593_thumb.jpg

I'm hoping others sound off on this issue. I want to make sure if I have an SC installed that it's done right with no worries.

Mike, have the tensioner arm changed during your SC conversion. Check the pulleys, as I've discussed, when you receive the car. I know one other owner that did not have the correct 100mm idler pulley on the driver's side. Let the builder know that this has happened before and you want the idlers checked and replaced per Whipple's instruction manual. (According to Whipple, all the correct pulleys come in the kit. What doesn't come in the kit is a stronger tensioner arm.)

I had belt problems in the past then about a year and half ago I installed the thumprrr tensioner. I race my car regularly both on road courses and at the strip, not to mention my obnoxious driving style and no more belt probs !!!!.... the design of our belt system is that there is too much belt and the stock tensioner isnt up to the task... your arm looks bent for sure and im sure its flexing even more under boost.... do yourself a favor and get a thumprr. (it now comes with the whipple install kits...

I had belt problems in the past then about a year and half ago I installed the thumprrr tensioner. I race my car regularly both on road courses and at the strip, not to mention my obnoxious driving style and no more belt probs !!!!.... the design of our belt system is that there is too much belt and the stock tensioner isnt up to the task... your arm looks bent for sure and im sure its flexing even more under boost.... do yourself a favor and get a thumprr. (it now comes with the whipple install kits...

Glad to hear that, I'm about to get the 475 polished whipple installed the beginning of next month and really don't want any problems (not that anybody does or expects any after dropping a large amount of cash on your car). I'm sure my guy is already aware of the need for a new tensioner anyway. He knows his sheet when it comes to mustangs.

What I don't understand is what happened with Springer's install. Left over parts (100mm pulley) didn't raise a flag at SAI???

Now all I need is for Ford Racing to come up with the correct stripes for my hood they promised that were to be overnighted last week, be delivered tomorrow. Oh yeah, I'm only about an hour away from the supplier too. :headscratch:

Dan

I know from running Belt drive setups on HD that alignment is critical or belt goes away. My whipple has not eaten a belt, but after reading this I am ordering an extra for the trunk. I have driven mine what I thought was pretty hard and no issues...

I am sure that it will get worked out sorry you are having this problem.

After reading all the other stuff it looks like I'm having the same problem, tensioner! It looks bent, see pic. Oh well looks like I start saving my pennies! It sucks, spend all that money only to have the freakin' thing parked in the garage for a couple more months! I wish the powers to be that do these things for a living would have given me the option of upgrading the tensioner when the install was done. It would've been a whole lot easier! ....... my freakin' chest hurts, time for more meds..........

Doug,

Deep breaths now, in... out... in... out... We don't want them taking paddles to ya. Jump starts are for cars... not Shelby drivers.

I just took the car out for short run. The weather was nice today so I washed it up and took a 25 mile ride to Lowe's and got gas. I never even took the traction control off! I get home and find a 1/4" sliver of belt sticking out from under the car..... WTF!!! Open the hood and tada! I'm running a narrow belt now! :angry22: I just had the car SC'd at Tasca in November (workorder shows mileage at 2750, odie is now at 3300) paid $13,000 and drove it home 250 miles. The next weekend I'm proud to show it to my friend, big Ford fan! Long story short she shreds the belt that Tasca put on. Can't find any so I order 2 from NAPA, 1 week delivery. Limp the car home with the stock belt and park it for the winter(no insurance Dec, Jan & Feb). I drove it about 20 miles all winter (3 trips to charge the battery). I had it out a week ago for about a 25 mile trip also. Looks like I have to order more belts! :banghead: I have to go take more blood pressure medicine........

Anyone thinking about SC'ing their ride, think twice! For me it wasn't worth it! At least not yet............

have you called Tasca? they should know better and recommended the upgraded tensioner arm

There is also a $50 plate available to strengthen the stock tensioner arm - which keeps it from flexing - but with that much money in the conversion, I opted for the much stronger Thump RRR tensioner.

This belt issue has been discussed on many forums on the "net" and it needs to be addressed by Whipple - and, it shouldn't be at our expense.

I agree!

(it now comes with the whipple install kits...

aparently not as of Nov 2009 when I had mine done!

have you called Tasca? they should know better and recommended the upgraded tensioner arm

Just happened last night, I'll send Dennis an email this morning.

Seems like its always that way...more cost brings yet more cost!

I have other things around the house that need repairs before I put any more money into a car. Like someone else told me, even after I get it running again I'm going to be afraid to drive it. I'd sooner take my '97 ranger with 110,000 miles on the 4cylinder.... it has never let me down!

Doug,

Eric here from Tasca's Mod Shop sorry about the belt problem

Please PM me your address, I will have another belt sent to you asap no charge!!!

Eric Bellnier

Performance Coordinator

Tasca Mod Shop

Doug, it's an known problem. The first thing I was told when I picked up my car at Shelby in Vegas was don"t Rev up the engine when idling, you could throw a belt.. I thought to myself this isn't good. Changed the tensioner ( Thump racing) at my own cost and everything is ok now. You have every right to be upset. It's another known problem swept under the carpet. Good Luck.

Dave

Its not really swept under the carpet the problem isnt really 100% either its alot of driving technique (staying off the rev limiter) and design (the single serpentine system and substandard tensioner) Its not a Shelby problem Ive seen their "test car" get driven hard for over a year and it never threw a belt thats about100 dragstrip launches and 600 laps on a road course with a stock tensioner!!!! but Whipple has seen a trend in the shredding and did in fact add a tensioner to their new Kits!!

Doug,

Please PM me your address, I will have another belt sent to you asap no charge!!!

Eric Bellnier

Performance Coordinator

Tasca Mod Shop

Thanks Eric, unfortunately I don't need a belt, I need a tensioner! I bought two belts when I shredded the first one. Maybe I should get a case of them, it looks like I'll need one with every tank of gas!

Doug,

Eric Bellnier

Performance Coordinator

Tasca Mod Shop

Eric - nice!!

Doug - buy this -

EDELBROCK 15806 E-FORCE BELT TENSIONER BRACE $43.95

works great!

Michael

Mike, have the tensioner arm changed during your SC conversion. Check the pulleys, as I've discussed, when you receive the car. I know one other owner that did not have the correct 100mm idler pulley on the driver's side. Let the builder know that this has happened before and you want the idlers checked and replaced per Whipple's instruction manual. (According to Whipple, all the correct pulleys come in the kit. What doesn't come in the kit is a stronger tensioner arm.)

Thanks for the intel, Springer. I will definitely remember your advice at install time. I also saved the picture of your set up in case any questions come up. Good job!

I mentioned this in another thread but this is going on HER car as a surprise and if it gets messed up, my boys are at risk of serious damage. :hysterical: I want it done right the first time for obvious reasons.

Thanks for the intel, Springer. I will definitely remember your advice at install time. I also saved the picture of your set up in case any questions come up. Good job!

I mentioned this in another thread but this is going on HER car as a surprise and if it gets messed up, my boys are at risk of serious damage. :hysterical: I want it done right the first time for obvious reasons.

There is definitely a safety issue with the belt shredding or coming off the pulleys. You won't have any power steering and the water pump won't work either.

If she's in heavy traffic, and the belt goes, the car will over heat, and worse, be involved in an accident due to the steering pump being disabled. I brought this all up with Whipple when I talked with them and they seem to believe that the greatest portion of the problems with the belt issue is the tensioner arm not having the "stop tab" properly ground off or removed as detailed in their instructions. They know there is an issue with the tensioner arm, but will not address it. There are a few scenarios that cause the belt to come off, and the ones that haven't popped yet under load are far and few in between.

Be safe, it is not a good feeling being stranded with a $50,000 car while you are waiting for a flatbed. Also, make sure you carry a spare belt for the blower, instructions on how to thread the belt and the tools to change it out - don't forget the 3/4" socket for the bolt going thru the small pulley located just below the blower snout (see pic again, the bolt head is visible on the 1 1/2" pulley.) The 1 1/2" pulley must be loosened to put on the belt. The pulley is pushed down tight and the bolt in this pulley is tightened when you have the belt as tight as it will go.

Also, I carry my original belt, which by-passes the supercharger, and may be installed instead of the supercharger belt. There are instructions in the owner's manual for threading the stock belt.

Attached pic again (modified):

post-26281-126887944112_thumb.jpg

post-26281-126887944112_thumb.jpg

I forgot the guys at SAI recommended not to rev it up and down with the clutch in. And to turn off the TC if your playing with the long pedal or your motor mounts might get beat on too much...

I guess they ground my tab right as well (not inplying that Tasca did not).

I can recommend SAI for an install 110%.

Eric - nice!!

Doug - buy this -

EDELBROCK 15806 E-FORCE BELT TENSIONER BRACE $43.95

works great!

Michael

I've been very lucky; no belt issues after 20K miles with the Paxton. I think I'll go ahead and order this part !!

Its to bad to hear about all these belts shredding. I have about 5,000 miles on mine with numerous strip passes and not one issue. Now that I typed something mine will shred. LOL

We did install the pullies and tensioner properly and being a automatic probably helps. Good luck with the fix.

Anyone have pictures of the updated tensioner from Whipple or the aftermarket tensioners available for the 3 valve?

Doug

+1 on the Thump RRR

web.jpg

Ignore the rust that door stop is long gone (old photo )

web.jpg

PM me your address and I will send you my stock tensioner it has less than 500 miles on it and is in a box in the barn

Good Luck

Andrew Nagle

Archived