TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Keeping the Bunny safe from Rabbit Trappers...

Blip

Let me start off by saying, I hope nobody reveals too much about their own set-ups, but I’m looking for suggestions on protecting the “Link-mobile” when it’s away from the hutch.

Here’s some background for my question. On my 3 previous Saleens, I used “LoJack” (and the factory anti-theft system) to protect them. There’s good coverage in the Mid-Atlantic region and I only took them on daytrips, so I wasn’t concerned about overnight stays in hotel parking lots.

The Terlingua will be a different beast and one in which I plan to do some cross-county travelling, so looking for suggestions on security systems for protecting it.

Any thoughts on what systems you would recommend and those you don’t. Thanks

Yep, we need to take care of these bunnies. I use Skyway http://www.myskyway.com/skydoc/index.html It has a lot of nice features. I can track the car at any time as well as get TXT and email alerts. Right now we have it set up to send a TXT message every time it is started. If you get on a multi year plan it's less than $10 per month. I think the install was about $600. But we always know where the bunny is.

Oh, and it is a Ford licensed product that the dealer can install.

Even with all the tracking devices out there, and alarm systems available, including the factory P.A.T.S. system, cars will still be taken, hence the tracking systems.

I still believe, the simplest deterrent, (because we know the longer it takes them to steal it, THEY WON'T) is a kill switch!!

Nothing is a sure fire fix, if they want it they are going to get it, just remember that, and as complicated as some of the equipment it, so is their's.

Jeff

Yep, we need to take care of these bunnies. I use Skyway http://www.myskyway.com/skydoc/index.html It has a lot of nice features. I can track the car at any time as well as get TXT and email alerts. Right now we have it set up to send a TXT message every time it is started. If you get on a multi year plan it's less than $10 per month. I think the install was about $600. But we always know where the bunny is.

Oh, and it is a Ford licensed product that the dealer can install.

Thanks for the information--sounds similar to some of the features of the "On-Star" system that came on our Saturn Outlook.

SVOC--Yep know that the "hardcore" auto thief can even take it right out of my garage, if they worked at it. Looking more toward detering/delaying the "casual"

thief/joy-rider that happens to spot it in a hotel lot

I do like the kill switch idea, would you suggest a manual switch or one that could work with a remote?

I do like the kill switch idea, would you suggest a manual switch or one that could work with a remote?

Manual, that only you know about.

Jeff

Thanks for the information--sounds similar to some of the features of the "On-Star" system that came on our Saturn Outlook.

SVOC--Yep know that the "hardcore" auto thief can even take it right out of my garage, if they worked at it. Looking more toward detering/delaying the "casual"

thief/joy-rider that happens to spot it in a hotel lot

I've had Onstar before. This is much better. I have Lojack also, but I like this much better. Let's face it - The Terlingua is really Mom's car - not mine - I can't even start the engine without her knowing because she gets a text message every time I do it. :hysterical: It keeps the kids out of the car also.

Manual, that only you know about.

Jeff

I've had Onstar before. This is much better. I have Lojack also, but I like this much better. Let's face it - The Terlingua is really Mom's car - not mine - I can't even start the engine without her knowing because she gets a text message every time I do it. :hysterical: It keeps the kids out of the car also.

Great ideas....

Great ideas....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kill switch is the way to go. In the old days when I had the HIPO 289 - I would remove the rotor. It was a pain but always had my car and never taken. As some one stated, unless they are pro's, the longer it takes - they move on.

Hope this helps.

Doc

Always try to see your car from your hotel room window.

Back-in to a parking spot when possible, the idea is to avoid a Bump and Run Repo Wrecker from easily grabbing and going.

I park with "The Herd". Putting your car "way out over there" makes it stick out more.

Arrive late if that works for you. Fewer people have the opprotunity to know your car is there.

Definately have some type of system that will let you know if the car moves without you.

Peaches has THOUSANDS of cross-country miles under her, PM if you want some more info on cross-country driving.

Thanks for the suggestions. Kill switch set-up is on my 'to do" list.

Checked for "Myskyway" dealers in our area, but none close. May wait and have a Missouri dealership

install it after moving.

hispony--Good list of travel tips.

Archived