TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford GT sets new world record in the Mile!!

ChipBeck

Gentlemen,

Last Sunday at the "Top Gun Run" 1 mile event in Florida, a twin turbocharged Ford GT built by Performance Power Racing set an all-time world record for a street legal car in the standing mile. The record of 246 mph in the Mile from a standing start has been held for a couple years by a 1600 hp turbocharged Toyota Supra.

With a custom-built, straight cut gear, six speed transmission and putting 1750 hp to the rear wheels, it was a sight to see. Dig this! He bogs it a bit in first gear, spins the rear tires badly at the top of first, second, third, and fourth gears, goes a bit sideways in third gear, completely misses the second to third gear shift, and with all of those mistakes, blows through the traps at the 1 mile mark at 253 mph!!!

A clean run would've easily put him into the 260s. I'm proud to have an SAAC registered car claim the title of the fastest standing mile street legal car in the world. Not only is it an amazing engineering accomplishment, it took some serious huevos to keep the hammer down all the way through 250. Congratulations and well done.

Check out the video.

Chip

I saw that Ford GT at Mustang week last year, that thing sick. I was talking to the owner or 1 of the owners and he said they were going to go for the world record for a street legal car in the standing mile next year. I guess they did it!

Here is a pic I took from Mustang week 2009.

post-25838-1269345949_thumb.jpg

post-25838-1269345949_thumb.jpg

Gentlemen,

I leave tomorrow for the Texas Mile. My yellow Twin Turbo Ford GT (# 34) is filled with C16 and is putting out 1060 rear wheel horsepower. And......I will not even be a footnote at this years event as Ray Hoffman's Ford GT will be sporting over 1600 HP !!!! Ray has a shot at dethroning the Performance Power Ford GT but the stars are going to have to line up with weather, wind, and lady luck. There will be 10 Ford GTs running the mile this weekend. My goal this Saturday is 210 MPH. It's gonna be a great time.

Chip

post-12804-126938019468_thumb.jpg

post-12804-126938019468_thumb.jpg

My yellow Twin Turbo Ford GT (# 34) is filled with C16 and is putting out 1060 rear wheel horsepower. And......I will not even be a footnote at this years event as Ray Hoffman's Ford GT will be sporting over 1600 HP !!!!

:wacko: Aiiieeeeeee.........1060 HP Ford GT...........not even be a footnote...........I think I now have something to shoot for. Heck, I think we all have something to shoot for.

QSS

Gentlemen,

I leave tomorrow for the Texas Mile. My yellow Twin Turbo Ford GT (# 34) is filled with C16 and is putting out 1060 rear wheel horsepower. And......I will not even be a footnote at this years event as Ray Hoffman's Ford GT will be sporting over 1600 HP !!!! Ray has a shot at dethroning the Performance Power Ford GT but the stars are going to have to line up with weather, wind, and lady luck. There will be 10 Ford GTs running the mile this weekend. My goal this Saturday is 210 MPH. It's gonna be a great time.

Chip

Gentlemen,

What a great weekend!! The Texas Mile last Fri. Sat. Sun. was quite a shootout. Ray Hoffman in his yellow Heffner TT GT fell just short of a world record but was thrilled with his results as his car was first started 3 days before the Mile with no testing or tuning. Every run was analized and tuning was adjusted. He ran 249.7 MPH and a Lamborghini Gallardo ran 250.2 MPH. The ten Ford GTs were running great speeds all weekend.

Yours truely exceeded my hoped for target speed of 210 mph. On Sunday I ran 220.1 MPH in my Heffner Twin Turbo Ford GT. Ray Hoffman, Jason Heffner, and their entire team were there to greet me when I got out of my car. I believe that 5 of the 10 cars that cracked 220 MPH last weekend were Ford GTs. Several GT500s were in attendance and a couple of them were very close to, if not over 200 MPH. I'll post a video soon.

Chip

post-12804-126992750299_thumb.jpg

post-12804-126992750299_thumb.jpg

Gentlemen,

What a great weekend!! The Texas Mile last Fri. Sat. Sun. was quite a shootout. Ray Hoffman in his yellow Heffner TT GT fell just short of a world record but was thrilled with his results as his car was first started 3 days before the Mile with no testing or tuning. Every run was analized and tuning was adjusted. He ran 249.7 MPH and a Lamborghini Gallardo ran 250.2 MPH. The ten Ford GTs were running great speeds all weekend.

Yours truely exceeded my hoped for target speed of 210 mph. On Sunday I ran 220.1 MPH in my Heffner Twin Turbo Ford GT. Ray Hoffman, Jason Heffner, and their entire team were there to greet me when I got out of my car. I believe that 5 of the 10 cars that cracked 220 MPH last weekend were Ford GTs. Several GT500s were in attendance and a couple of them were very close to, if not over 200 MPH. I'll post a video soon.

Chip

WOW!!! and congrats Chip!!! :salute:

Those are some amazing speeds that were attained.

Dan

Mr. Beck,

Congrats on surpassing you goal. The twin turbo system seemed to get you where you wanted to be and more (t-shirt). I read your posts every day on the "other" forum and was thrilled to see you hit 220+.

I was planning to be there as I had a few friends with GT's there (Lee Novikoff and Chris Crawford) and knew many of the GT500 folks as well. Unfortunately family obligations kept me away again this yearbanghead.gif . At this point October looks doubtful also. I can always hope for next year.

Once again, awesome job and thank you for the updates!

Hi everyone. It was my car that set the new World's record at the Top Gun Run. We do have plans to put the argument to bed as to the fastest car on the planet. The Bugatti took 5 miles to get it up to 255. We plan to push 275 on our next run out. I'm confident that it can hit 300 as long as we have enough runoff. That should turn some heads! I'll keep everyone posted as to our accomplishments. Thank you Team Shelby for giving us a place to beat our chests and show off our rides.

IMG_9137.jpg

post-28154-126996085925_thumb.jpg

post-28154-126996085925_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone. It was my car that set the new World's record at the Top Gun Run. We do have plans to put the argument to bed as to the fastest car on the planet. The Bugatti took 5 miles to get it up to 255. We plan to push 275 on our next run out. I'm confident that it can hit 300 as long as we have enough runoff. That should turn some heads! I'll keep everyone posted as to our accomplishments. Thank you Team Shelby for giving us a place to beat our chests and show off our rides.

IMG_9137.jpg

I love the GT in the Gulf colors! Making me rethink the Cobra decision.

We do have plans to put the argument to bed as to the fastest car on the planet. The Bugatti took 5 miles to get it up to 255. We plan to push 275 on our next run out. I'm confident that it can hit 300 as long as we have enough runoff. That should turn some heads! I'll keep everyone posted as to our accomplishments. Thank you Team Shelby for giving us a place to beat our chests and show off our rides.

Johnny,

The Bugatti is way out of it's league here, a non factor. Who would have ever thought of the Bugatti as overweight and under powered! Even my GT with it's small 61MM Turbos running 91 octane pump gas would smoke the Bugatti.

As to who has the fastest car, your result in Florida has already settled that. 253 on a run that was far from clean indicates a lot more potential. 250 mph is a quantum leap from 220 mph. 275 mph is a quantum leap once again. When you talk of going 300 mph, are you talking about top speed in a venue like Nardo, Italy or Bonneville? Or are you talking about accomplishing that from a standing start in the mile?

A clean run in your car will forever put the standing mile record out of reach of the Toyota Supra. The Supra has been developed about as far as it can be and is at the top of its game. It's era as the top dog is over. The Ford GT has a lot more potential. Best of luck in your efforts as you continue to push the envelope.

Chip

Man, ALL the video are GREAT!!!

Wish I had the time to go to Florida for some R&R (Racing & Roaring).

Nice job that all the drivers did and again, wished I could of been there...

Tom

We feel that we can get 275 out of a clean run at the mile. The car has it in her. As for 300, I'm guessing a mile and a half, but really that's exactly what we're doing. Ford didn't even think we'd get 220 out of it. We've been doing a lot of impossible things lately. We'll keep you posted!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived