TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Has anyone NOT had any clutch problems?

sudden

08 Mustang, not a bad looking ride; but not nearly as pretty as my 08 SGT500'vert! LOL Have registered on here and waiting for mailing address to send check and remittance ticket? Only 1000mi on my 08 since Aug 09, so probably way too soon according to most posts here! CL it's your bud JB here!

I'm at 2500 miles and same rwhp [700]. Stock clutch works perfectly. I'm currently pulling the trans and installing the shelby shifter and un-sure on the Spec P trim, or McLeod clutch. I won't have the funds until next month [ 1500.00 ] so for now just gaining knowledge. FWIW the guys over at Lethal are the best.

while you have the tranny out replace the cheap plastic hose that runs from the master cylinder to the slave unit with the upgraded braided hose, and put sythetic fluid in the system. I have an 07 SGT that is SC'd and I am on my 3rd clutch. If you track your car at all this is a must do mod.

CJ's has it for $179, blue collar has it for $225

SLB, sounds like a good idea: but would like to know where you've learned of this? Admittedly a newbie here; but good friend has been on this board for some time, we've talked at length about clutch issues; but not mentioned yet? How hard to do this a "preventative" measure without dropping tranny? Does fluid suggested deviate from Ford spec with potential warranty concerns?

Thanks for post!

SLB, sounds like a good idea: but would like to know where you've learned of this? Admittedly a newbie here; but good friend has been on this board for some time, we've talked at length about clutch issues; but not mentioned yet? How hard to do this a "preventative" measure without dropping tranny? Does fluid suggested deviate from Ford spec with potential warranty concerns?

Thanks for post!

Between myself and another buddy we have gone through about 6-8 clutches. He ran his at the drag strip and tried several different brands of clutches. He has his own performance company called Bluecollar Performance and he has a very nice write up about the clutches in our cars based on his experience at the track. He now spends most of his time on the road course. He also knows someone at Ford Racing who told him about the braided line. Evidently the FR500 was also having clutch issues due to heat boiling the fluid in the line from the master cylinder to the slave unit this causes the clutch to stay engaged end result a dead clutch.

My stock clutch did not hold up well once I supercharged my car. It would hold 1st okay but the shift to 2nd would result in it driving through the clutch. I went with a spec 2+ it lasted all of 500 miles. Removed it and replaced it with a zoom dual disc and a ram slave unit. After another 500 miles the zoom went too. Found out that the mechanic who installed the Ram slave unit did so incorrectly which caused the zoom clutch to fail. Went back to the spec 2+ (warranty replacement) and now with high temp fluid, a good break in it is holding up well. Found out about the braided line too late to have it installed. It will be in the next time the tranny comes out.

I don't think the line can be done without dropping the tranny. The fluid to my knowledge does not void the warranty, in fact if memory serves it is now recomended.

hope this helps.

Between myself and another buddy we have gone through about 6-8 clutches. He ran his at the drag strip and tried several different brands of clutches. He has his own performance company called Bluecollar Performance and he has a very nice write up about the clutches in our cars based on his experience at the track. He now spends most of his time on the road course. He also knows someone at Ford Racing who told him about the braided line. Evidently the FR500 was also having clutch issues due to heat boiling the fluid in the line from the master cylinder to the slave unit this causes the clutch to stay engaged end result a dead clutch.

My stock clutch did not hold up well once I supercharged my car. It would hold 1st okay but the shift to 2nd would result in it driving through the clutch. I went with a spec 2+ it lasted all of 500 miles. Removed it and replaced it with a zoom dual disc and a ram slave unit. After another 500 miles the zoom went too. Found out that the mechanic who installed the Ram slave unit did so incorrectly which caused the zoom clutch to fail. Went back to the spec 2+ (warranty replacement) and now with high temp fluid, a good break in it is holding up well. Found out about the braided line too late to have it installed. It will be in the next time the tranny comes out.

I don't think the line can be done without dropping the tranny. The fluid to my knowledge does not void the warranty, in fact if memory serves it is now recomended.

hope this helps.

Thanks for the info....

you all need to drive your babies more. They are not meant to be in the garage except for perfect days. I have 23000 on mine and the clutch is fine. Everyone drives differently and that has a huge determination as to how long the clutch will last/. If you ride the clutch and slowly disengage it will have half the life of someone who quickly releases it and just goes./

• 2 years later...

2011, gt500 svt white with stripe delete and had clutch replaced with only 4,000 miles. Ford not helping- stating "normal were and tear" - I am dissapointed but plan to take action.

What mods do you have ?

I swapped over here from the "Ford GT500 Discussions Forum". I get the impression there's not many techs over there, lots of polishers and posers though.

To answer your question I have 66,771 miles on my 2007 Shelby GT 500. Yup, you read that right. I've had no problems so far with my clutch.

It's a daily driver, I bought it used from a dealer with 44K miles and the original owner was an adult woman.

I've been to the drags twice with it, once at the 2011 Shelby meet in Tulsa and another on Test & Tune night. Both times I couldn't hook up on street tires, the Shelby meet was 103 degrees so that was a blow out too.

At this point I'm looking for a clutch as mine is fading and engages at the last point of pedal travel. Haven't decided to go aftermarket or 2010 Ford.

ps- I'm an Airline Mechanic with 32 yrs experience and do almost all my own maintenance.

Our local GT500 guru here in NE Oklahoma - Mike Mayopolis of Pinnacle Perf. www.pinnaclerepairs.com seems to think I hold some kind of record for a 2007 clutch.

I'll most likely have him swap it out. Bench pressing a Tremec sucks, T5's I can handle.

'08 stock w/ 16K miles...no problems with slipping. I have noticed a tough 1-2 shift when cold...smooth as silk when it warms up. Also, I do have a noticeable vibration on the shifter in 5th but both symptoms were present when I bought it new in 08. I just assumed it was normal for this make/model.

19,500 2009 gt500 with the pulley, intake and tune with the afco h/e when its nice out I give her hell... original clutch only thing is you get the chatter if your not use too how it engages. Took me a little bit to learn the clutch but runs well now. I am highly impressed with the mileage im getting out of mine because peoples fail so much earlier i hear.

2012 bone stock with 7K miles. No problems except after it sits for a week or more, I experience mild chatter for the first ~10 engages, but then it smoothes out and dissapears. Anybody know what's causing that?

• 4 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived