TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Banging sound from rear of car on take off

magrag

I had a set of BMR LCA on my 08 GT500 for about 9 months and removed them because it sounded like something was not right,

there was a banging noise (like metal to metal contact )when take off from a stop.

When I removed them I found that a one bushing was wore out and BMR replaced it with no problem.

I put the stock OEM LCAs back on while I was waiting on the new bushing and I still have this banging sound.

It almost sounds like the bolts for the LCA's are not tight enough, but I torqued them to specs.

Thing is I can't remember it this clanking-- banging sound was there before I did anything with the LCA's.

I haven't put the BMRs back on yet because of the weather here in Ohio, but I had the car out the last couple of days and now I remember why I put the BMR bars on.

If I keep the stock LCA on my rear tires will last FOREVER!!!!!

THAT WHEEL HOP IS TERRIBLE!!!!!!

Do you guys think I need to retorque my LCA's or is this bang noise normal.

Thanks

I had a set of BMR LCA on my 08 GT500 for about 9 months and removed them because it sounded like something was not right,

there was a banging noise (like metal to metal contact )when take off from a stop.

When I removed them I found that a one bushing was wore out and BMR replaced it with no problem.

I put the stock OEM LCAs back on while I was waiting on the new bushing and I still have this banging sound.

It almost sounds like the bolts for the LCA's are not tight enough, but I torqued them to specs.

Thing is I can't remember it this clanking-- banging sound was there before I did anything with the LCA's.

I haven't put the BMRs back on yet because of the weather here in Ohio, but I had the car out the last couple of days and now I remember why I put the BMR bars on.

If I keep the stock LCA on my rear tires will last FOREVER!!!!!

THAT WHEEL HOP IS TERRIBLE!!!!!!

Do you guys think I need to retorque my LCA's or is this bang noise normal.

Thanks

I think I may have the answer for you. Check the driver side tailpipe.....look at how much of a gap exists for over the axle between the exhaust pipe and the panhard bar. Mine had a pinkys distance and started banging about 500 miles. Freaked me out at first but dealer fixed.....np now. BTW passenger side had about two fingers width gap.

LOL John sounds like you are talking from experience! I ruined one drive shaft that way! The 4 inch powerhouse DS. I changed over to the 3.5 inch dynotech and all is well. I also had the banging sound with the stock setup and got rid of it with the BMR upper and lower control arms. My bushings crapped out as well. BMR is crap. I still have them in my car and it rattles like a wagon. Toss them and go with another provider. I will do it with mine soon. I am tired of the noise. Sucks being on the bleeding edge and finding out what not to do with your car.

Thanks to all that replied.

I have corsa mufflers and will check them Sat.

Car is not lowered and is all stock suspension wise now. (have a tune and FR cold air)

Drove the car again today and noticed the banging when shifting into second and going over rr tracks.

This not a real loud bang but is very annoying.

I will be looking at upper control arms this spring. Can I get by just replacing the arm without the mount that attaches to the body??

I do not drag race or use high traction tires. Just want to smokem w/out knocking the radar detector off the dash!!

Thanks again

Drove the car again today and noticed the banging when shifting into second and going over rr tracks.

This not a real loud bang but is very annoying.

I will be looking at upper control arms this spring. Can I get by just replacing the arm without the mount that attaches to the body??

I do not drag race or use high traction tires. Just want to smokem w/out knocking the radar detector off the dash!!

Thanks again

The UCA mount could be causing the banging. The bolt holes for the UCA to the mount are bigger than the bolt. The J&M UCA comes with bushings to eliminate the banging. Others may have them as well. I installed the J&M with the OEM mount and it eliminated my wheel hop.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/adj-upper-control-arms-jnm2005.html

If you want to replace UCA and mount, Roush has a Wheel Hop Reduction Kit that has both, but it's quite a bit higher than the J&M, but it does look good.

http://www.blueovalindustries.com/products.php?pid=99013560

Good Luck! :peelout:

Archived