TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT Front Bumper Damage

I am new to this site and I am a first time owner of a white 2007 Shelby GT. At the bottom of the front bumper on both sides there are several scrapes where the bottom has drug across the concrete or something and the paint is missing. I was wanting advise on what I should do to fix it. Should I have a body shop repair the original bumper or purchase a new one and have it repainted and new stripes put on? Also, can anybody recommend a good body/paint shop that knows what they are doing with Shelbys here in Texas?

I am new to this site and I am a first time owner of a white 2007 Shelby GT. At the bottom of the front bumper on both sides there are several scrapes where the bottom has drug across the concrete or something and the paint is missing. I was wanting advise on what I should do to fix it. Should I have a body shop repair the original bumper or purchase a new one and have it repainted and new stripes put on? Also, can anybody recommend a good body/paint shop that knows what they are doing with Shelbys here in Texas?

mine hits slightly on speedbumps, my driveway, and other mellow inclines. If its not visible dont worry if you want it fixed the minimum would be $400-800 If you ever need it towed, ask the tow company if they handle exotics (ferrari's) the SGT has the same clearance issues as them.

mine hits slightly on speedbumps, my driveway, and other mellow inclines. If its not visible dont worry if you want it fixed the minimum would be $400-800 If you ever need it towed, ask the tow company if they handle exotics (ferrari's) the SGT has the same clearance issues as them.

Thanks and yes it is visible. Since you worked at Shelby should these cars come with a spare tire or just that machine in the back for reinflation?

All the SGT's came with the fix a flat and compressor kit

Thanks! Are there any Shelby members out of North Texas that could recommend a good body shop? Does anybody know if Quantum Performance, Shelby Mod Shop, out of Carrolton,TX does good work?

Thanks! Are there any Shelby members out of North Texas that could recommend a good body shop? Does anybody know if Quantum Performance, Shelby Mod Shop, out of Carrolton,TX does good work?

Flip a coin on Quantum....there are several members that will tell you they do fabulous work and there are just as many that will tell you to run away as fast as you can from them....I can't say either way...only experience I really have with them is when I bought my Engine caps, hood brace and fuse box cover from them at the first anniversary of their opening...the salesman came out to my car and put everyting on for me while my car was on the line for the show....so customer service was excelent as far as I was concerned....but like I said, there will be others that will have an exact opposite of my story...I guess it's a crap shoot no matter where you go...Good Luck...

Trust me on this front bumper thing....If you spend the bucks to get a new front bumper, stripes and all, about 1 hour or less after you leave the body shop, you are going to scrape something again.... It just happens in these cars...they sit very low...my suggestion would be to buy a bottle of touchup paint and just lightly sand the places that are scraped and carefully touch up the area....you'll be doing this quite regularly....Now if you have unlimited cash to keep replacing stripes and bumpers, by all means, go for it....but again, trust me, you'll spend a lot more time in the body shop than you will enjoying your car....

Carl

Flip a coin on Quantum....there are several members that will tell you they do fabulous work and there are just as many that will tell you to run away as fast as you can from them....I can't say either way...only experience I really have with them is when I bought my Engine caps, hood brace and fuse box cover from them at the first anniversary of their opening...the salesman came out to my car and put everyting on for me while my car was on the line for the show....so customer service was excelent as far as I was concerned....but like I said, there will be others that will have an exact opposite of my story...I guess it's a crap shoot no matter where you go...Good Luck...

Trust me on this front bumper thing....If you spend the bucks to get a new front bumper, stripes and all, about 1 hour or less after you leave the body shop, you are going to scrape something again.... It just happens in these cars...they sit very low...my suggestion would be to buy a bottle of touchup paint and just lightly sand the places that are scraped and carefully touch up the area....you'll be doing this quite regularly....Now if you have unlimited cash to keep replacing stripes and bumpers, by all means, go for it....but again, trust me, you'll spend a lot more time in the body shop than you will enjoying your car....

Carl

Thanks for the info Carl, I guess this is a common thing and the touch up paint will be the best option. Can anybody tell me if the seats are all leather or just everything but the inserts(middle part)?

Thanks for the info Carl, I guess this is a common thing and the touch up paint will be the best option. Can anybody tell me if the seats are all leather or just everything but the inserts(middle part)?

An upholstery tech told me that they are leather with a thin protective layer of vinyl. He recommended using Johnson Wax on them rather than auto leather treatments as those treatments would remove the protective vinyl coating. I can't tell you for sure if what he said was accurate. I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences/opinions.

An upholstery tech told me that they are leather with a thin protective layer of vinyl. He recommended using Johnson Wax on them rather than auto leather treatments as those treatments would remove the protective vinyl coating. I can't tell you for sure if what he said was accurate. I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences/opinions.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the info!

With the front bumper, if you drive it at all (more than just for shows), live with any damage that you will accumulate. At the end of the car's 'service life' (when it gets to the point where you only show it, buy a whole new bumper.

I have 23k on my car and have some pretty nasty scratches down there, although you have to lean down to see them. Also, my driver side rocker is chewed up pretty well.. However, as soon as I am done 'driving' this car (in a few years) and I actually take it to shows, I will recondition the car as necessary.

It's hard to simply repair the lower area of the bumper as it is textured plastic.

I use a local body shop in North Richland Hlls for anything I'm at all particular about.

It's a one-man show, the guy is a real car guy, likes Mustangs and he's meticulous.

He's also very good with plastics on bumper covers.

Nice guy, reasonable prices.

Tony @ North Hills Collision

817-284-3254

He also used to crew for the Foyt IRL team. He was their aero guy last I heard.

he's worth a visit just to see what he's tinkering with

Mine's pretty crunchy...

After driving my SGT cross-country (and over a few 7-11 parking blocks), it's got some scrapes, for sure.

I like to think Carroll would approve of the "battle scars"... hysterical.gif

Jer

Mine's pretty crunchy...

After driving my SGT cross-country (and over a few 7-11 parking blocks), it's got some scrapes, for sure.

I like to think Carroll would approve of the "battle scars"... hysterical.gif

Jer

I have a spare performance white front clip shrink wrapped and stuffed in the garage rafters. I follow to close at the trac and have the above mentioned scars. I got it in good shape from a dude in SC that converted his GT/CS to Roush. Lucky me.

Mike

Latemodel Restoration Supply has them as well:

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-20049A

I've been checking the page every now and then, but the available date keeps changing. I don't know if that means that they're selling out and have to wait to get more in, or maybe they haven't been able to get any from Ford.

Off topic for a moment, you wouldn't happen to be the same "Comet" that used to live in Missouri would you ?

Don

I'm tempted to buy a prepainted one so I can take my time and have great access to it to install brake ducts, driving lights, lower grill, clear corners, etc... Then just stripe it and bolt it on with a new-style billet SGT grille and new pony. Cool little upgrade project.

Jer

I'm tempted to buy a prepainted one so I can take my time and have great access to it to install brake ducts, driving lights, lower grill, clear corners, etc... Then just stripe it and bolt it on with a new-style billet SGT grille and new pony. Cool little upgrade project.

Jer

Nice idea but the hard part of driving lights and break ducts isn't the fact that the front fascia is on the car. The work to install on it is the easy part. It's installing the lights and such behind that's a pain. I did mine on a lift and it was MUCH easier.

With the front bumper, if you drive it at all (more than just for shows), live with any damage that you will accumulate. At the end of the car's 'service life' (when it gets to the point where you only show it, buy a whole new bumper.

I have 23k on my car and have some pretty nasty scratches down there, although you have to lean down to see them. Also, my driver side rocker is chewed up pretty well.. However, as soon as I am done 'driving' this car (in a few years) and I actually take it to shows, I will recondition the car as necessary.

It's hard to simply repair the lower area of the bumper as it is textured plastic.

Archived