TEAM SHELBY FORUM

A question about Clutch shudder

Proctoman

So, I have an 08 GT500 and had the clutch TSB work done just this January. The first gear take off shudder is a real nuisance to say the least. I have gotten fairly good at minimizing it with the right throttle control but, it takes away from the driveability for sure. My question is would having an aftermarket clutch, say the Spec SS, installed eliminate this shudder issue?

Thanks in advance.

So, I have an 08 GT500 and had the clutch TSB work done just this January. The first gear take off shudder is a real nuisance to say the least. I have gotten fairly good at minimizing it with the right throttle control but, it takes away from the driveability for sure. My question is would having an aftermarket clutch, say the Spec SS, installed eliminate this shudder issue?

Thanks in advance. 373 GEARS HELP ALOT 428CJ

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure if that is the case or not. I'm lead to believe that the clutch chatter is common with a twin disk design. I had the TSB completed... last May? I think. I still have chatter like you, but I've learned to deal with it. It also honestly isn't that harmful to be a little harder on these clutches than other cars; they're meant to handle the abuse.

I'm not sure if that is the case or not. I'm lead to believe that the clutch chatter is common with a twin disk design. I had the TSB completed... last May? I think. I still have chatter like you, but I've learned to deal with it. It also honestly isn't that harmful to be a little harder on these clutches than other cars; they're meant to handle the abuse.

+1

Noticed that ever since the TSB (Clutch and Flywheel only version) and have learned how to start off in first differently to try to minimize it. But have not mastered it yet.

3:73 do help a lot, but every once in awhile I still get it, if I'm not paying attention on the engagement.

Another option is the 2010 clutch, I have not heard one issue with that one. If it had been avaiable when I had my TSB done I'd have one now.

Only option available is to install the 2010 clutch system (Ford won't do that under warranty so its your dime) or install the aftermarket clutch systems that apparently don't have the shudder problem. Otherwise, 2007 through 2009 all have the same clutch system that shudders on ocassion. The Spec SS is supposed to be the hot lick for aftermarket replacement. I ordered a 2011, so once that arrives, so long shudder. Had the TSB done on my 2007 to include a brand new trans, and still have the ocassional shudder. Just unacceptable to me and prompted the change to a 2011.

Thanks in advance.

LOL

No not at all, check out my thread.

The Spec SS shudders and chatters worse than the factory clutch

Oh I drove a 2010 GT500, awsome clutch, very easy, no shudder.

I wish I had gone with that over Spec :(

Ugh! So, the only known solution is to take the car back to the dealer and have the brand new TSB clutch system removed and have the 2011 clutch installed? This seems really bogus to me. Why did Ford put an inferior product in their top of the line sports car? The original clutch worked nicely up until the time of course it failed. There was no shudder (chatter) at all. I hate having to rev my engine from a stop to avoid the shaking especially when there is a little granny with her grand kid waiting to cross the street. Very amateur in my opinion. I only have 4k miles on this car and don't want to get rid of it especially after all the other mods I've completed, plus a TVS sitting in the garage.

get the 373 gears installed with an Aluminum Drive shaft. the problem is pretty much gone after that. most all stock 3.31 GT500s get the Shutter, its what the clutch was setup to do. its good to handle like 800HP.

The solution is to bring up the revs a few hundred RPM when you take off. You are letting it drop too far when you are letting out the clutch. Trust me, this works.

Agreed. That is harder on the clutch then I typically am with a clutch. But, it is what it is.

If/when it dies, I'll go aftermarket.

Was very impressed that the dealer was cool with doing the TSB (Clutch/Flywheel only version) when I was experiencing little to no failure symptions.So feel I should be good for a bit, particularly considering I only put about 3,500 miles a year on it.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a minor bit of clutch chatter until I had the TSB done. Now it's almost impossible to take off with out some, and I have 410 gears! It seems that some of these factory clutches just chatter a lot and you have to slip the hell out of them while taking off from a stop to avoid it. I'm not happy about it and I see Chuck didn't do any better with his Spec SS clutch. I'm just going to drive it and slip it until it dies and then put in an aftermarket unit or perhaps the 2010 model.

I honestly think it has a lot to do with proper clutch control. I had a bit in the beginning but once I learned the car...no problem. I changed to 3.73's and if I'm not paying attention sometimes, it still happens. Rarely, but it does happen. It can be avoided on stock gears though, if you really take the time to get in tune with things. Just my personal experience.

DS

I had a minor bit of clutch chatter until I had the TSB done. Now it's almost impossible to take off with out some, and I have 410 gears! It seems that some of these factory clutches just chatter a lot and you have to slip the hell out of them while taking off from a stop to avoid it. I'm not happy about it and I see Chuck didn't do any better with his Spec SS clutch. I'm just going to drive it and slip it until it dies and then put in an aftermarket unit or perhaps the 2010 model.

Almost done breaking in the SPEC SS clutch on my car and it's a lot better than the stock one. There is some chatter noise when the clutch is disengaged, but I haven't had any shuddering issues. It's nice and smooth and engagement is how I wanted/expected. Pedal feel is identical to the stock clutch. Some say the McLeod setup has a softer feel to it if that interests anyone. I am very happy with the clutch so far, just need to see how it handles the drag strip.

The SPEC SS and the Mcleod both appear to be a solid setup. The most important thing to keep in mind about any clutch replacement is that the installer can greatly impact the behavior and performance of the clutch. Some of the sour reviews out there can often be due to poor installs.

The 2010 clutch is an awesome setup as well, but I haven't been able to find any solid torque/hp ratings for it, anyone?

Almost done breaking in the SPEC SS clutch on my car and it's a lot better than the stock one. There is some chatter noise when the clutch is disengaged, but I haven't had any shuddering issues. It's nice and smooth and engagement is how I wanted/expected. Pedal feel is identical to the stock clutch. Some say the McLeod setup has a softer feel to it if that interests anyone. I am very happy with the clutch so far, just need to see how it handles the drag strip.

The SPEC SS and the Mcleod both appear to be a solid setup. The most important thing to keep in mind about any clutch replacement is that the installer can greatly impact the behavior and performance of the clutch. Some of the sour reviews out there can often be due to poor installs.

The 2010 clutch is an awesome setup as well, but I haven't been able to find any solid torque/hp ratings for it, anyone?

interesting. Dont get me wrong I like this clutch but mine chatters very bad in 1st and reverse, worse than the stock unit but after that all is good.

Only option available is to install the 2010 clutch system (Ford won't do that under warranty so its your dime) or install the aftermarket clutch systems that apparently don't have the shudder problem. Otherwise, 2007 through 2009 all have the same clutch system that shudders on ocassion. The Spec SS is supposed to be the hot lick for aftermarket replacement. I ordered a 2011, so once that arrives, so long shudder. Had the TSB done on my 2007 to include a brand new trans, and still have the ocassional shudder. Just unacceptable to me and prompted the change to a 2011.

Ballpark cost on a 2010 clutch? This is the only thing I dislike about the car, besides the fact that they put a damn misleading phone button on the nav which is just for looks. I have a 2008 which had the TSB done and it shudders just as it did before the TSB only now without the dexron III it requires a 20 mile drive to warm it up in the cold before gear changes are smooth again.

Bumping up the revs does solve the problem but man when you are on a hill and have a loud exhaust you look like some sort of boy racer trying to bring it ;-)

Ballpark cost on a 2010 clutch? This is the only thing I dislike about the car, besides the fact that they put a damn misleading phone button on the nav which is just for looks. I have a 2008 which had the TSB done and it shudders just as it did before the TSB only now without the dexron III it requires a 20 mile drive to warm it up in the cold before gear changes are smooth again.

Bumping up the revs does solve the problem but man when you are on a hill and have a loud exhaust you look like some sort of boy racer trying to bring it ;-)

It's free if you still have a warranty and the clutch issues start, they say it's caused by lots of stop and go driving. The latest TSB now replaces the 07-09 clutch setup with the 2010. I still chose aftermarket(SPEC) since I planned on adding more power.

It's free if you still have a warranty and the clutch issues start, they say it's caused by lots of stop and go driving. The latest TSB now replaces the 07-09 clutch setup with the 2010. I still chose aftermarket(SPEC) since I planned on adding more power.

Well I suckered for the FORD ESP extended warranty when I bought the car in 2008 5yr 60K bumper to bumper, and I only have 18K on the clock but I hear people saying the clutch is a wear item and is only covered to 1yr due to different driving habits. How much was your spec clutch part + labor?

Well I suckered for the FORD ESP extended warranty when I bought the car in 2008 5yr 60K bumper to bumper, and I only have 18K on the clock but I hear people saying the clutch is a wear item and is only covered to 1yr due to different driving habits. How much was your spec clutch part + labor?

1800 for the SPEC SS clutch(Lethal) and install. There is a sticky at that educates you on how to handle the clutch issues with the dealer. The faulty part is in fact the flywheel, which causes premature failure of the clutch. The worse that could happen is they say no, and then you are off to aftermarket gear. The only reason I didn't pursue it, was due to increasing power levels. If you are sticking to the stock or TVS blower, then the 2010 Clutch setup cannot be beat. I drove a friend's 2010 and it was light effort and smooth. I almost thought it was too light :) I am planning on a KB 2.8H in the fall.

As recommended I am having 3.73s installed in the morning. I really hope this helps.

I had the opportunity to briefly drive an 08 KR last night, this was the first time I have driven any 500 that was not mine and I must say that the 3.73's in the KR made a difference in smooth clutch engagement. With 25k miles in my car, I am pretty much used to the clutch, I get the shudder once in a while and while I have flirted with the idea of swapping the gears for 3.73 or 3.55, after last night the flirting jumped straight to serious consideration! What has held me back is all the complaints of gear whine after the gear swap and the fact that traction is an issue already with this car and with the lower ratio, torque is multiplied a bit more which means I will have to train my right foot to behave!!!

Good luck with your swap, hope it does the trick for you!

I had the opportunity to briefly drive an 08 KR last night, this was the first time I have driven any 500 that was not mine and I must say that the 3.73's in the KR made a difference in smooth clutch engagement. With 25k miles in my car, I am pretty much used to the clutch, I get the shudder once in a while and while I have flirted with the idea of swapping the gears for 3.73 or 3.55, after last night the flirting jumped straight to serious consideration! What has held me back is all the complaints of gear whine after the gear swap and the fact that traction is an issue already with this car and with the lower ratio, torque is multiplied a bit more which means I will have to train my right foot to behave!!!

Good luck with your swap, hope it does the trick for you!

I would love to drop 3.73s in, but I too am Leary due to complaints and talk of what supplier provided the gears to the manufacturer. I have a Subaru AWD SVX I bought for the winter which I got for a steal that has 4.11's the previous owner put in it. The gear whine is WAY loud but switching gears back to stock would cost more than the car is worth, ha! Anyone done just 3.55 and is the difference even noticeable?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well good news. After the SVT tech drove the car around he felt the shudder was much more prominent than it should have been. I only have 4k miles on the car and probably less than 250 miles with the TSB clutch. After the clutch was removed there was definite signs of abnormal wear. They are going to replace the TSB clutch (originally done this Jan.) with the 2010-11 clutch and flywheel under warranty. The true test is when I'm back in the seat though. Has anyone else had the new clutch apparatus installed?

I put 3.55 in my 86 GT and they had a whine. Brought it back and the tech. re shimed it and the whine was gone. when in done with my suspenion mod. i will put 3.55 in my shelby. I have read that cars with blowers and large displacemend dont need gears as tall as 4.10 or 3.73

Archived