TEAM SHELBY FORUM

HST build vs. SPF build

cobrakalas427

I'm in the process of locating a fiberglass CSX roller in either Guardsman or Navy Blue. The two that I've found available so far were both built in South Africa by SPF and are in the 49XX chassis range. Does anyone know of any quality control issues that I should be aware of? Is SPF still building rollers for SAI or is HST now doing all the glass rollers? Thank you for your input!

Last thing that I heard, SPF is the authorized and licensed manufacturer of the FG bodies for SA. I would contact Roger Sorel at SA to confirm. SPF makes one of the best FG bodied CSX cars on the market.

http://www.superformance.com/default.aspx

I'm in the process of locating a fiberglass CSX roller in either Guardsman or Navy Blue. The two that I've found available so far were both built in South Africa by SPF and are in the 49XX chassis range. Does anyone know of any quality control issues that I should be aware of? Is SPF still building rollers for SAI or is HST now doing all the glass rollers? Thank you for your input!

mine was built in 07/08 (CSX4970) and the roller was built by HST, shipped to SA then to the dealer on the east coast. bill malone posted pictures after each visit on the Cobra Forum.

http://www.shelbyautos.com/forum2/

mine was built in 07/08 (CSX4970) and the roller was built by HST, shipped to SA then to the dealer on the east coast. bill malone posted pictures after each visit on the Cobra Forum.

http://www.shelbyautos.com/forum2/

Mine was purchased in Feb of 08 (CSX4910) and was also built in South Africa. I had problems with the bolts in the fuel cell not being tightened, electrical problems, interior not being glued correctly. not to mentioned lots of problems with teh motor but that isnt Shelbys fault. Also, they dont have a manual and no warranty to speak of. I also had a gauge go bad with only 500 miles and 1 year on the car. I owned a true SPF as well for a while and the build quality on the SPF was better than the CSX. Just my 2 cents

Ron

My CSX4005LA is a Carbon Fiber roller built by HST. The body is flawless. Engine problems can't be blamed on them. The drivers side pipe is contacting the body now and a small crack is developing. Need to get the engine straightened on the mounts when it is back at Roush.

Why do you want such a large fuel tank? I can barely sit in mine long enough to empty the 23 gallon tank. That is just about the right time between pit stops.

In a drive to the Springs I actually got about 24MPG. I was shocked... It does pretty well on the open road. There weren't very many places I got to run in 5th due to the mountains but I figure about a 60-40 mix over about 230 miles.

• 3 weeks later...

I have 6022, which was an HST built car. I think they did a great job and get compliments on the body and paint all the time (navy blue). The only thing I think could have been done better is the electrical connections which should have either been soldered or heat shrunk or both. Instead they just used standard electrical clips. Annoying, but not a big deal to solder them when they come loose.

Depending on who you talk to, different dealers have different opinions about Hi-Tech built (same company, but different bodies than the SPFs) and HST. I know that Becker of Planet Cobra and Anderson of Gessford will only order HST.

And Twoshelbys - 24mpg, wow! Best I have ever gotten is 14mpg on the highway.....

I have 6022, which was an HST built car. I think they did a great job and get compliments on the body and paint all the time (navy blue). The only thing I think could have been done better is the electrical connections which should have either been soldered or heat shrunk or both. Instead they just used standard electrical clips. Annoying, but not a big deal to solder them when they come loose.

Depending on who you talk to, different dealers have different opinions about Hi-Tech built (same company, but different bodies than the SPFs) and HST. I know that Becker of Planet Cobra and Anderson of Gessford will only order HST.

And Twoshelbys - 24mpg, wow! Best I have ever gotten is 14mpg on the highway.....

Doug - Thanks for your feedback. Both CSX rollers that I've seen in person, another that I inquired about in CA and the 2 completed cars that I've looked into in the Midwest were all built in South Africa. DenBeste in CA has SPF bodies and so does T&E in OH.

If you have a pics of your CSX, I'd love to see them!

Thanks! I like your SGT. Good looking car. I have an '07 GT500 convertible too that's fun.

Thanks! It doesn't get much usage but I like the look and the DNA...I bet your rides attract lots of attention! Congrats to you my friend!

• 1 month later...

Since this is my 427th post, I thought I should do it in my own thread on 427 Cobras. That being said, I am still looking to purchase my first CSX 4000/6000 in LeMans or Navy Blue. If anyone has any info or leads, please let me know...Thanks!

Since this is my 427th post, I thought I should do it in my own thread on 427 Cobras. That being said, I am still looking to purchase my first CSX 4000/6000 in LeMans or Navy Blue. If anyone has any info or leads, please let me know...Thanks!

Stephen Becker at PlanetCobra has both a LeMans and a Navy Blue on order I believe. I bought from him and thought I wanted a LeMans blue until I saw the Navy. Wow.

Stephen Becker at PlanetCobra has both a LeMans and a Navy Blue on order I believe. I bought from him and thought I wanted a LeMans blue until I saw the Navy. Wow.

Doug - I love the Navy blue also...I probably need to see them both next to each other to finalize my choice...

I thought I wanted Guardsman blue until I saw Intense blue. Subtle difference but looks great. It's not a standard Shelby color but is available as an option. If you are undecided about the right shade of blue you might want to look at this one. The difficult part is you really need to see the color chip in person. The dealer I visited happened to have a car in that color in the shop.

I thought I wanted Guardsman blue until I saw Intense blue. Subtle difference but looks great. It's not a standard Shelby color but is available as an option. If you are undecided about the right shade of blue you might want to look at this one. The difficult part is you really need to see the color chip in person. The dealer I visited happened to have a car in that color in the shop.

Here's the colors available from HST.

http://www.gessford.com/cobra/images/HST-Colors.htm

Archived