TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New engine break-in questions

Okay, so with the GT500s, those engines came from the lant already broke in and ready to run....not that any of us could keep from stomping on it within 2 miles of the dealer!! Personally, I had to test 0-90 on the frontage road directly in front of the dealer....I guess you could say I barely made it out of the parking lot! LOL

but with the 5.0, when I pick this bad boy up from Shelby, what should I plan for on my drive home? Can someone chime in on a break in procedure that is proper?

Okay, so with the GT500s, those engines came from the lant already broke in and ready to run....not that any of us could keep from stomping on it within 2 miles of the dealer!! Personally, I had to test 0-90 on the frontage road directly in front of the dealer....I guess you could say I barely made it out of the parking lot! LOL

but with the 5.0, when I pick this bad boy up from Shelby, what should I plan for on my drive home? Can someone chime in on a break in procedure that is proper?

Read the owner's manual to be safe. Ford is protecting and estimated 18k motor with their text in the manual about breaking in the car. The previous engine only had the precaution for driving at sustained speeds for long periods of time (early on). The new motor may have some different precautions than the previous iron block. In general, almost all new cars engines are pre-broke in. Many think they know better than the manufacturer and will give advice. The truth is Ford has to replace the expensive motor or drivetrain if it breaks under warranty, they will Definetly tell you if you need to break it in, and how.

Warren, I would follow the directions/instructions given to you by SA personnel when you pick the car up. Although the 5.0 will have already been broken in by the factory, your engine will be supercharged, and will be one of the very first 5.0's anywhere in the planet that will have an SC on it by the time your get your 350 in hand.

The Supercharged 5.0 is currently a "development in progress" by Ford Racing engineers as I write this, so I highly recommend following whatever guidelines that come down from them to SA regarding the engine break in time/procedure (if any at all for that matter).

I'm certain that FR is currently beating the crap out of a SC'd 5.0 right now to see if/when it breaks and what actually breaks, and as a result of this testing, I suspect that FR will probably generate a set of guidelines about use, maintenance, and other related operational topics/issues related to the SC'd 5.0.

Well, since a few of us Texas guys and one particular Okie are planning to pick up our cars together, I feel a potential impromtu cannonball may be called for! :happy feet:

You think SA will have a proper impound procedure in place that we can hand the cops? :hysterical:

Man, can you imagine 3 or 4 GT350s running together across the country? What a photo op!

Good ?

I plan on driving my car back to Pa and just figured as long as you don't keep the rpm's in one place too long the motor should be

good to go. After the first 1000 miles of the ride home (2500 total) I'll get a bit more aggressive.

• 1 month later...

I am hoping to get a few laps at LVMS as soon as I pick up my car. While I wouldn't drive it the normal 10/10, I would drive 7/10-8/10 for a session.

Archived