TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rare Spider-Man Edition

As guessed the pics are from a scan/photoshoot for a video game, and not just any video game.

Last month MicroSoft contacted us about using a 1986 Shelby GLHS in their X-Box Forza video game. AmyB chuckled at first but gave her blessing to the project so I had the MicroSoft people come out to the Los Angeles Shelby offices last week for a photoshoot of one of Carroll's Dodge cars.

Most of the work is in laying out the green tape. Once a grid pattern is layed out another person follows with an electronic measuring tip mounted to a robotic looking arm that is connected to a PC. Everywhere any two lines of the grid pattern intersect, the measuring tip is touched to that point and it makes an input into the program. From there the software can build a 3-D model of the car by knowing exactly the measurements between each recorded point.

Exterior wise they only need to scan 1/2 the car as they just mirror the image for the other side. Interior wise they must scan the complete interior. Once the scanning is done they then take hundreds of photographs of the car to capture colors, textures, glass, etc for reference as to how the car should look.

I'm sure the scanning process can be described in much better detail than what I've said but I'm sure you're following along.

Carroll was in the office that day and seemed pleased that one of his Dodge cars was going into such a popular video game as X-Box's Forza game. I was able to snap a photo of Carroll along with the MicroSoft folks standing next to the GLHS, that really made their day as they are Shelby enthusiasts.

Who would have guessed that almost 25 years later a Shelby Dodge would make it into a video game. I can feel the GLHS prices starting to skyrocket right now, unless the car gets entered into the game as a VolksWagen Rabbit :hysterical:

Below are a couple more pics of the photoshoot.

Steve

MS GLHS Scan2.jpg

MS GLHS Scan3.jpg

MS GLHS Scan5.jpg

MS GLHS Scan2.jpg

MS GLHS Scan3.jpg

MS GLHS Scan5.jpg

As guessed the pics are from a scan/photoshoot for a video game, and not just any video game.

Last month MicroSoft contacted us about using a 1986 Shelby GLHS in their X-Box Forza video game. AmyB chuckled at first but gave her blessing to the project so I had the MicroSoft people come out to the Los Angeles Shelby offices last week for a photoshoot of one of Carroll's Dodge cars.

Most of the work is in laying out the green tape. Once a grid pattern is layed out another person follows with an electronic measuring tip mounted to a robotic looking arm that is connected to a PC. Everywhere any two lines of the grid pattern intersect, the measuring tip is touched to that point and it makes an input into the program. From there the software can build a 3-D model of the car by knowing exactly the measurements between each recorded point.

Exterior wise they only need to scan 1/2 the car as they just mirror the image for the other side. Interior wise they must scan the complete interior. Once the scanning is done they then take hundreds of photographs of the car to capture colors, textures, glass, etc for reference as to how the car should look.

I'm sure the scanning process can be described in much better detail than what I've said but I'm sure you're following along.

Carroll was in the office that day and seemed pleased that one of his Dodge cars was going into such a popular video game as X-Box's Forza game. I was able to snap a photo of Carroll along with the MicroSoft folks standing next to the GLHS, that really made their day as they are Shelby enthusiasts.

Who would have guessed that almost 25 years later a Shelby Dodge would make it into a video game. I can feel the GLHS prices starting to skyrocket right now, unless the car gets entered into the game as a VolksWagen Rabbit :hysterical:

Below are a couple more pics of the photoshoot.

Steve

Anymore pics?

Anymore pics?

I took a bunch of pics. Some I can't post because they show the proprietary software being used for the scan. I did send a few pics over to Jenni at the Shelby Foundation that may show up on the Shelby Nation website.

The even better news for the Dodge guys is that there may be more Dodge cars coming to a video game near you. The MicroSoft foks will be coming out to the Vegas facility for a look see later this month.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That is just too cool for words. Thanks for sharing that Steve!

Agreed! Thanks for sharing Steve!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived