TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need new tires. Have a Question

bpmurr

I must of ran over something that put a small pin sized hole in my tire last night. I came outside to a flat this morning. I want to replace the Super Slows anyways. I'm looking at the Hankook V12 tires since cost is a factor. My question is should I continued the staggered tire sizes or go with the same size? Right now that would be 285/35/19 all the way around or 255/40/19 up front. Thanks! :)

Edit: Additional Question

Will changing the front tires mess with the speedo, any issues with oversteer or understeer?

Will changing the front tires mess with the speedo,

No. Your Vehicle Speed Sensor/VSS is based on the revs in your transmission which is dependant on your *rear* tire size remaining the same.

Last car I know of that used a front wheel for a speed sensor was a gen 1 VW Bug!

HTH,

Phill Pollard

I ended up buying the staggered Hankook V12s. Out the door it was $852.00 shipped with the tire replacement warranties. My local Mr. Tire is going to do the install for me.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetailStaggered.do?1=1&mps=-50&yr=2010&pc=11401-11413&vid=016423&sw=false

I'll be selling my stock Goodyears. They still have a lot of tread left. The remaining three tires have 5800 miles on them. If anyone is interested let me know.

Let us know how the new tires compare to the Goodyears. I've actually been pleasantly surprised by the stock tires...thought I would hate them based on having Goodyears a long time ago - but it seems things have improved. I don't constantly push the tires to the limit in my driving like perhaps some of you do. I'll probably get BF Goodrich's when the time comes to replace mine however.

The treadwear on the Hankook's is a bit low for me.

Let us know how the new tires compare to the Goodyears. I've actually been pleasantly surprised by the stock tires...thought I would hate them based on having Goodyears a long time ago - but it seems things have improved. I don't constantly push the tires to the limit in my driving like perhaps some of you do. I'll probably get BF Goodrich's when the time comes to replace mine however.

You do realize the Hankook have a 280 rating and the stock Goodyears are lower at 220.

You do realize the Hankook have a 280 rating and the stock Goodyears are lower at 220.

Hi Bpmurr - I was just referring towards the replacement set when it comes time. The BFGoodrich have a 400 rating that I hope to get if they become available for the Shelby's size when it comes time. If not, I might go with the Michelins which are 400-500 rating.

Burning is 1st gear not useless for you at 4500rpm+ with those stock tires on the street? Even in 2nd when the sc kicks in mine is like on ice skates with the F1's, easily chirping 3rd & 4th. I lowered the air in the rears to 30lbs, maybe that's not enough.

Burning is 1st gear not useless for you at 4500rpm+ with those stock tires on the street? Even in 2nd when the sc kicks in mine is like on ice skates with the F1's, easily chirping 3rd & 4th. I lowered the air in the rears to 30lbs, maybe that's not enough.

I'm sure that's the case...but I don't push my car to the limit constantly like many people. That's why I qualified my opinion on the Goodyears with that. Just mainly talking about some spirited around town driving in day to day life.

The old Goodyears I had on a former car were near impossible to live with...no traction at all and the forget driving in the rain. LOL!

Hi Bpmurr - I was just referring towards the replacement set when it comes time. The BFGoodrich have a 400 rating that I hope to get if they become available for the Shelby's size when it comes time. If not, I might go with the Michelins which are 400-500 rating.

What tires are you looking at exactly? The Michelin PS2s are also a 220 rating.

What tires are you looking at exactly? The Michelin PS2s are also a 220 rating.

Oh it's the Michelin® Pilot® Sport A/S Plus. They're a 500 rating. And BFGoodrich I hope to get are the G-force KDWS which are a 400 rating.

I won't need them for a good while. I've only got 3,000 miles on the car so far.

Oh it's the Michelin® Pilot® Sport A/S Plus. They're a 500 rating. And BFGoodrich I hope to get are the G-force KDWS which are a 400 rating.

I won't need them for a good while. I've only got 3,000 miles on the car so far.

Do you drive your GT500 in all seasons? I had the GForce KDW. It was ok but I liked my Nitto 555 better.

Yeah I do. I've been driving it all winter - as long as there's not snow on the roads.

You sir are a brave man! :) I took mine out a few days when it was over 42 degrees. Spent more time cleaning road spray off then driving it!

You sir are a brave man! :) I took mine out a few days when it was over 42 degrees. Spent more time cleaning road spray off then driving it!

hehe...It's been fine...really have had no problems. Just have to drive according to the road conditions.

And for sure, I cringe when I have to go through a puddle from melting snow or something! LOL! I know what you mean. Luckily there's a car wash near by that I can always quickly hose off the grime in the wheel wells and on the back end.

Correct, both front and back wheels are 19x9.5.

I would highly recommend the BFG KDW's. I have used these tires on all of my high performance applications including my 2010 shelby. It was really amazing the axle

hop problem went away and the handling and traction were night and day! I only replaced the 2 rear tires at 4500 miles and they were at 5/32's, hardly worn out but I

threw them away after I inspected them off the rim and noticed they had started to come apart on the inside and sidewall. I am going to replace the fronts asap when the tax season is over.

I usually get about 30,000 miles out of a set, but I replace them at 5/32's The price is fare at about 300 ea shipped.

I would highly recommend the BFG KDW's. I have used these tires on all of my high performance applications including my 2010 shelby. It was really amazing the axle

hop problem went away and the handling and traction were night and day! I only replaced the 2 rear tires at 4500 miles and they were at 5/32's, hardly worn out but I

threw them away after I inspected them off the rim and noticed they had started to come apart on the inside and sidewall. I am going to replace the fronts asap when the tax season is over.

I usually get about 30,000 miles out of a set, but I replace them at 5/32's The price is fare at about 300 ea shipped.

I hade a set of KDWs that went bad. I'm not sure I'd buy them again. I was very happy with the Nitto 555 tires I had on my 05 GT. I'm interested to see how these Hankook tires turn out.

I would highly recommend the BFG KDW's. I have used these tires on all of my high performance applications including my 2010 shelby. It was really amazing the axle hop problem went away and the handling and traction were night and day! I only replaced the 2 rear tires at 4500 miles and they were at 5/32's, hardly worn out but I threw them away after I inspected them off the rim and noticed they had started to come apart on the inside and sidewall. I am going to replace the fronts asap when the tax season is over.

Agreed...I was so impressed with BFG KDW(S in my case). The car felt sooo solid and driving in the rain wasn't scary at all anymore. I think I got around 25,000 miles out of them on the old car. The ride on them was extremely soft too.

I had the Hankooks installed today and so far I like them. I put about 60 miles on the car and they hook so much better than the Goodyears. It's a night and day difference. The ride quality is excellent and handling seems as good if not a tad better.

If anyone is interested my three remaining Goodyears are now for sale. They have over half the tread life left.

Archived