TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need shifter advice

Thinking about going to the Shelby 5 speed shifter - model # P7SZ-7210-F5, from the Shelby store.

They contend it's a great improvement over the factory Shelby GT shifter. Any thoughts or suggestions either for or against would be appreciated.

It would be a stretch for me to believe that the Shelby Store shifter is superior to the Hurst that came with our cars. If I were in your shoes, I would want to drive a car with that shifter installed. When I really notice the Hurst (or not notice it more accurately) is on the race track. When you are doing countless gear changes on a road course and never have a recollection of even shifting, that tells me that, at least for me, it is working well. If you get a shot at driving a car with the shifter you are looking at, report back on your impression. I love Hurst but am open to options that may be better.

Jim

It would be a stretch for me to believe that the Shelby Store shifter is superior to the Hurst that came with our cars. If I were in your shoes, I would want to drive a car with that shifter installed. When I really notice the Hurst (or not notice it more accurately) is on the race track. When you are doing countless gear changes on a road course and never have a recollection of even shifting, that tells me that, at least for me, it is working well. If you get a shot at driving a car with the shifter you are looking at, report back on your impression. I love Hurst but am open to options that may be better.

Jim

Thanks Jim...I believe your correct on the Shelby shifter, and after doing some forum research I'm almost certain to go with the MGW shifter. I've only seen positive reviews on this product.

Thinking about going to the Shelby 5 speed shifter - model # P7SZ-7210-F5, from the Shelby store.

They contend it's a great improvement over the factory Shelby GT shifter. Any thoughts or suggestions either for or against would be appreciated.

I have the Shelby 6 speed shifter installed now on a 6060 and in my opinion it's a great improvement over the Hurst but that may not be a fair comparison since it's a 6 speed shifter. My Hurst was extremely notchy and got steadily worse over time with the 3650. I've never heard anything bad about the MGW from people who have one installed. I think Hurst has came out with a new version of their shifter.

I have the Shelby 6 speed shifter installed now on a 6060 and in my opinion it's a great improvement over the Hurst but that may not be a fair comparison since it's a 6 speed shifter. My Hurst was extremely notchy and got steadily worse over time with the 3650. I've never heard anything bad about the MGW from people who have one installed. I think Hurst has came out with a new version of their shifter.

Thanks to all for the input. I pulled the trigger on the MGW shifter. You're correct about the notchy issue getting worse. After 3 years, all of a sudden I'm missing third gear...hate to think it was me.

I just had the warranty replacement done and picked up the Shelby at lunch today. I didn't get to drive it a lot but am very happy with the way it shifts compared to the Hurst. I only have 15,200 miles and the Hurst rattle was getting worse and much more difficult to shift. I would not go back to the Hurst.

Thanks to all for the input. I pulled the trigger on the MGW shifter. You're correct about the notchy issue getting worse. After 3 years, all of a sudden I'm missing third gear...hate to think it was me.

So did you get the new redesigned one that was just released??

Archived