TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What will make our cars valuable in the long run?

CrzyHorse

Now I have discussed this topic to death and wanted to find everyones input. IF our cars were to become valuable in the future, which I understand is debatable, what would make them valuable? THe restorations I have seen on some of the older GT500s are complete restorations. In that case what remains original? The block? Things like the transmission case with the vin stamped on it? I know it is not dings and dents...as long as it is not totaled because some of those cars are rusted beyond belief and yet brought back and sold for a good amount of money.

So at the end of the day...what is it that needs to stay in tact in order for our cars to be special?

The most important piece of that puzzle on future value is will the next generation of buyers want to own our cars or is there enough 20 year olds today that want to buy Shelbys 40 years down the road . Right now there are plenty of buyers for older Shelbys from the 60-70 that gives them value, I hope in the future someone sees value in these cars time will tell wont matter to me just having fun driving now

I didn't buy mine to keep for 'tomorrow', I bought it to enjoy and have fun with 'today'.

At the same time, I also promised myself that I wound not do any mods to the car that could not be undone 'tomorrow.' I will not cut or drill into the original sheet metal, but would buy purchase a second hood if I decided to install hood pins (for example), and store the original hood just in case the car is sold at Barret Jackson by my great grandson in 2075....you never know.

my $0.02

Z-man

The main thing is, originality. If you have all the original parts, that's big. Also, the condition of the car. Since they made over 22k 07-09 GT-500's, condition will play a major role. If they only made 500 or so cars, then you could get away with a "rat trap"....not so with 22k cars made. Future buyers will have a larger pool to buy from.

The original drive train is by far the key to future value. Engine and transmission. Check out any car auction, if a car is "numbers matching" the value jumps.

So mod like crazy and keep all the original parts.

I have a 2007 GT500 I am modifying the hell out of it.I am going to make it the way I want so I can enjoy it.You never know how long you are going to be here.

I'm modifying mine too. It makes it much more fun to own and drive.

...I just keep all the original parts in good storage.

I think that having all the original parts is important.

In 40 years it's very hard to tell what things will be like. For example.....we might not have gasoline.

We'll have gas, it just might be a touch more expensive...

beatdeadhorse.gif

Hope for everyone's but yours to burn in a tragic fire.

That's about it. Otherwise it's a great car, and the perfect car for you....for today. Enjoy it.

bj

Now I have discussed this topic to death and wanted to find everyones input. IF our cars were to become valuable in the future, which I understand is debatable, what would make them valuable? THe restorations I have seen on some of the older GT500s are complete restorations. In that case what remains original? The block? Things like the transmission case with the vin stamped on it? I know it is not dings and dents...as long as it is not totaled because some of those cars are rusted beyond belief and yet brought back and sold for a good amount of money.

So at the end of the day...what is it that needs to stay in tact in order for our cars to be special?

Predicting future collectibility is pretty simple. What is popular now will be popular later. In the case of the GT-500, (opinion here), I think most people know they are fun and very fast BUT, they are also being made in very large quanitities, so to hold maximum value there has to be something Special about your car. Rare colors, factory options, and certainly any post-title worked completed by Shelby American. A ton of non-Ford or Shelby add ons will generally de-value the car for most potential buyers. Personally if I owned a GT-500 I would do whatever it took to get a post-title Shelby package added, keeping all of the receipts, taking pictures of the car at Shelby American, saving all e-mails, invoices etc. FoMoCo realized the value of the Shelby name by adding it to this fine car, even though the car was originally destined to be the continuation of the very fine SVT Cobra program. In summary SHELBY=VALUE=FUTURE COLLECTIBLITY.

Predicting future collectibility is pretty simple. What is popular now will be popular later. In the case of the GT-500, (opinion here), I think most people know they are fun and very fast BUT, they are also being made in very large quanitities, so to hold maximum value there has to be something Special about your car. Rare colors, factory options, and certainly any post-title worked completed by Shelby American. A ton of non-Ford or Shelby add ons will generally de-value the car for most potential buyers. Personally if I owned a GT-500 I would do whatever it took to get a post-title Shelby package added, keeping all of the receipts, taking pictures of the car at Shelby American, saving all e-mails, invoices etc. FoMoCo realized the value of the Shelby name by adding it to this fine car, even though the car was originally destined to be the continuation of the very fine SVT Cobra program. In summary SHELBY=VALUE=FUTURE COLLECTIBLITY.

As long as they continue to build GT500s, the resale will never be great. Mr. Shelby said to drive these car, enjoy them not store them. Don't think because you store one with low miles, it will bring a great price, not, it's what the market is. It has to be really rare to fetch big dollars. drive drive drive-em.

"What will make our cars valuable in the long run"?

Answer;

Garage and Bubble Rap it.........Nobody touch it until the "long run" is over after

your just a memory and the next owner may see a profit from the original

Sales Price???????????????????????????????????????????????? :hysterical:

Of course I say it is more valuable to you now if you just

"DRIVE THE :censored: OUTTA IT"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :salute:

Enjoy each day with my Shelby, but I do look forward to the possibility of it being handed down to my kids and so on down the line. They are only 4 (Twin Boys), but they know how special the Shelby is and they love it.

My Son is 11 and he kicks my arse on the "MUSTANG" Play Station Racing Game................

He says I really do not know how to drive?????????? :hysterical:

+1 on moding it as much as I want to make it all mine and more fun to drive, but keeping all the stock parts is climate controlled storage.

Now, the one thing that can't be put back is the stripes. Came with white stripes (since the red appearance package was not available for '08 coupes) but that package was a must for me. So along witl the changing the badging, etc. changed the stripes from white to red. No way to put that back.

Now that either leaves me with a rare thing (1 of 0 manufactured), or not all stock and thus, no so much value.

Either way, HAD to HAVE it that way, and did not know what would be available with the '09s at the time.

+1 on moding it as much as I want to make it all mine and more fun to drive, but keeping all the stock parts is climate controlled storage.

Now, the one thing that can't be put back is the stripes. Came with white stripes (since the red appearance package was not available for '08 coupes) but that package was a must for me. So along witl the changing the badging, etc. changed the stripes from white to red. No way to put that back.

Now that either leaves me with a rare thing (1 of 0 manufactured), or not all stock and thus, no so much value.

Either way, HAD to HAVE it that way, and did not know what would be available with the '09s at the time.

Sometimes I wish I would have got this "RED ACCENT PACKAGE" on Black..........

I sometimes think it actually looks better than mine as the RED STRIPES really

jump off the Black Car............

To bad they don't make the Snake on the Steeringweel in "RED ACCENT"???????

IMO they are already special and collectable. Don't wreck it and keep all the records along with any original parts you remove. Low mileage is a big un and original paint is huge if its in good condition. The original stripes are a big un, even if the have a few age cracks. They are only original once, modifing a few things that can be put back don't matter now.

There are very few modifications that don't hurt long term value. They are no different than Shelby's of past except a few more people have a better idea of how to take care of them.

Zero miles

All vehicle docs including build sheet

Caroll Shelby's signature before he dies

All original

All that and plus about 40 years.

Its totally not worth it. Just drive it and enjoy it.

:angel:

"Caroll Shelby's signature before he dies" :headscratch:

Could you get it after he is dead?

Could not resist. :shrug:

Never be worth BIG $$...to many made.

Original time capsule 0 miles, low color combo for a yr and optioned package...maybe.

Archived