TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SUPERCHARGER

Hello all;

I am really thinking of getting a supercharger. I do not want to spend a lot of money but want a quality product. I was thinking of the Ford Racing Wimpple 550hp or the Saleen stage 2 but really want to know if anyone has supercharged their SGT and if it was worth it.

Also did you go through the registry to make it a SGT/SC.

Thanks,

Joe

Hello all;

I am really thinking of getting a supercharger. I do not want to spend a lot of money but want a quality product. I was thinking of the Ford Racing Wimpple 550hp or the Saleen stage 2 but really want to know if anyone has supercharged their SGT and if it was worth it.

Thanks,

Joe

Oh yeah it's worth it! I had the Shelby SGT/SC package installed with the whipple. You will be very happy with it!

There are several members here who have Supercharged - either by sending their prized Shelby to Shelby directly or having a supercharger installed locally in their own area.

It's up to you. If you want the GT/SC upgrade offered by Shelby - you have to go through Shelby or one of the certified Mod Shops. You will then get the fender stripe that says "Shelby GT/SC" and a proper entry in the registry that your Shelby was factory supercharged. Currently, there are 3 locations where you can get these modifications done.

1) Shelby American - Las Vegas, Nevada

2) Quantum Performance - Texas

3) Tasca Ford - Rhode Island

If you don't care so much about the registry, or the fender stripe, and just want the perforamnce upgrade to your ride - then you can find several vendors to purchase the supercharger from and simply need to locate a shop that will complete the install for you. It's your call. Like "Pottydr" stated - once you start modifications - it's hard to find a good place to stop.

Keep this in mind - I know that when you look at the Shelby GT/SC upgrade "package" - you see the gauge pod, brakes, wheels, hood, etc.....etc.....etc.

You can simply have the supercharger installed at Shelby, (or a Mod Shop) along with the gauge pod, get the fender stripe and a check mark in the registry. Then get your Shelby back home and install wheels, brakes, and whatever else you'd like to do, on your own. Those are all personal touches to the "package" in my mind.

Welcome to the site! Look around in the forum pages - there are several discussion threads about this very topic. Best of luck with your choices going forward. Be sure to come back to the site and show us what you've decided to do! We ALL love pictures!!

Trevor

A)...either by sending their prized Shelby to Shelby directly or having a supercharger installed locally in their own area.

B ) Like "Pottydr" stated - once you start modifications - it's hard to find a good place to stop.

Nice write-up !!

A)...or installing it yourself.

B )...boy, isn't that the truth!! :hysterical::spend::spend::spend:

Nice write-up !!

A)...or installing it yourself.

B )...boy, isn't that the truth!! :hysterical::spend::spend::spend:

+1 on the write up, one thing to remember since Shelby released the GT/SC model the only way to get the stripe upgrade is to have the car "upgraded" to the GT/SC model. In otherwords the SC, gauge pod, brakes, stainless steel lines. You can get the just the SC but Shelby will no longer consider it a GT/SC unless you go the whole route. Only the cars that were done prior to the release of the model have the honor of carrying the GT/SC badge with an asterisk in the registry stating just that.

Oh and by the way "is it worth it"................. oh hell yeah!!!!!

There are several members here who have Supercharged - either by sending their prized Shelby to Shelby directly or having a supercharger installed locally in their own area.

It's up to you. If you want the GT/SC upgrade offered by Shelby - you have to go through Shelby or one of the certified Mod Shops. You will then get the fender stripe that says "Shelby GT/SC" and a proper entry in the registry that your Shelby was factory supercharged. Currently, there are 3 locations where you can get these modifications done.

If you don't care so much about the registry, or the fender stripe, and just want the perforamnce upgrade to your ride - then you can find several vendors to purchase the supercharger from and simply need to locate a shop that will complete the install for you. It's your call. Like "Pottydr" stated - once you start modifications - it's hard to find a good place to stop.

Keep this in mind - I know that when you look at the Shelby GT/SC upgrade "package" - you see the gauge pod, brakes, wheels, hood, etc.....etc.....etc.

You can simply have the supercharger installed at Shelby, (or a Mod Shop) along with the gauge pod, get the fender stripe and a check mark in the registry. Then get your Shelby back home and install wheels, brakes, and whatever else you'd like to do, on your own. Those are all personal touches to the "package" in my mind.

Welcome to the site! Look around in the forum pages - there are several discussion threads about this very topic. Best of luck with your choices going forward. Be sure to come back to the site and show us what you've decided to do! We ALL love pictures!!

Trevor

What he said

Whipple 550 is the way to go, I went to Tasca and Dennis and his Team were great!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like you started out thinking I would save money going somewhere else, in reality the amount you may, and I mean may, save is not worth it, in my opinion. Tasca installs these all day long, Ford picked them for a reason.

Well worth the money, I love my car!!!!!!!

If you don't want to spend a lot of money, you need to sell your Shelby now!!! Like Rick said, it's only just begun...Let the mods begin with no end in sight!

I'm saving my pennies for a Whipple 550 Supercharger....hopefully someday...

Enjoy the car!

Carl

Trevor

Great write up!

:happy feet:

Trevor

One Minor addition to note:

Fourth place to have it done is Sean Hyland Motorsprts in Woodstock Ontario.

I have talked to them and have seen some of their work. They do have some intersting things they do to help with being in Canada.

DrKSGT

Hello all;

Thanks,

Joe

Quality costs.

Worth it in every reguard.

Yes.

One Minor addition to note:

Fourth place to have it done is Sean Hyland Motorsprts in Woodstock Ontario.

I have talked to them and have seen some of their work. They do have some intersting things to they do to help with being in Canada.

DrKSGT

Good Catch !

Hello all;

Thanks,

Joe

I installed a Paxton blower and yeah it was worth it. Unless you enjoy going slow, it will probably be worth it to you too.

The registry wasn't important to me personally, but I can understand why someone would pay the extra coin to get the rocker stripe.

You will not regret SCing the SGT!

I chose a different route. I went with the Saleen Series VI setup through Brenspeed. Unfortunately I have two friends who had GT 500's Super Snaked and their experiences turned me off from sending my car in. I know others have had great experiences but unfortunately theirs was not and it tainted my decision. All of my dealings with SAI since then have been great. I love my car and all the things I have done to it. I probably have spent the same amount of money as I would have if I had sent it in to be a Shelby GT/SC but I have had the pleasure of doing it my way. I have all of the stock parts except the wheels so I can go back to stock in a weekend.

If having a car in the registry is important then wait until you have the money to send it to a mod shop. If that is not important pick a setup that fits your budget and go for it. You have been warned once you start it is hard to stop! My wife calls the Shelby the "money pit".

Enjoy and congrats.

Welcome Joe,

You have hit on a favorite subject of many on board the forum. I just completed my whipple 550 install. I did the install myself for two reasons. One was that I did not have the money (and did not want to borrow it at this time) to send the car to SAI and 2nd (most important) I wanted the peace of mind that it would be done correct the first time.

I saved for a year to get enough to pay cash for my upgrades and during that year I read everything I could get my hands on about the latest and greatest superchargers and by the time I had the money I had it narrowed it down to the KB or the whipple. Really at the end of the day it was a toss up and I pulled the plug and purchased the whipple. I can tell you that I really belive that the edelbrock most likely will prove to be one of the best blowers on the market however I just did not like the looks of it but I sure like the install and the numbers. There are guys getting some good numbers with much less boost and heat than my whipple. I think they give up some torque and make it up on the horsepower which can lead to faster 1/4 times. Again it is back to how you plan to drive the car.

The installation is not brain surgery however doing it correctly the first time does take patience and checking everything 3 times. If you are mechanically inclined and understand the basic fundemantals of mechanics as it applies to engines, fuel and air flow you could do this in a couple of days time. If you are not savey to some small degree in these areas then having this install done by a shop or SAI would be your best bet.

I have heard good stories and not so good stories about the work at both SAI and Quatum. (check out past subjects in the forum) I have never heard anything bad about Tasca. If I were to pay to have my car modded by a mod shop it would be Tasca. Why, (1) I have purchased a many a part from Bob Sr. when we use to run cobra jet cars in the early seventies (man I am old) and that group was the most honest, helpful and supportive people I had ever dealt with. From what I understand that still runs true today. (I could be wrong as it has been awhile since I was there). (2) TASCA was modifying fords and mustangs while Mr. Shelby was working on other brands of cars. TASCA knows fords and how to make them run fast, consistant and for along time.

Regarless of which blower (and they are all blowers no matter who installs them) you choose you are going to have a ball driving that baby once completed. I think most all the blowers have thier own pros and cons and if you do your home work you will be able to see what I mean. There are tons of information out there.

One of the main things to consider is the type of blower you choose. You can get the torque monsters that are fun as heck on the daily drive and the centrifugal type that are much more fun on the road courses and drag strips. I have had both types in the past and man I like them both. If I had my way I would have an SGT with each type.

In closing, if you think a lot of having the sc stripe and the car in the shelby books you may consider SAI or TASCA. If I had the money I would choose TASCA. and never look back.

-Billy

Hello all;

Thanks,

Joe

Whipple 550 set up :shift:

nice to see that other members are doing their own installs! I can see where having a registered gt/sc would be important to some, in which case it would be worth the extra money, but for those who aren't concerned about the pedigree, I'd highly recommend doing your own installation. just read the instructions, see what tools you need and once you have them gathered, spend a weekend with a friend doing the install. once completed, you'll feel really good about having done it yourself...

scinstalltable1.jpg

scinstall26.jpg

scinstall23.jpg

scinstall30.jpg

HEY JOE,

SCOTTY HERE, CONGRATS ON YOUR SGT AND WELCOME TO TEAM SHELBY. THERE

ARE LOTS OF GREAT PEOPLE HERE SO YOU CAN NOT GO WRONG. I PERSONALLY

WENT WITH THE GT/SC UPGRADE WITH THE WHIPPLE 550 FROM SHELBY AMERICAN

IN LAS VEGAS. THEY WERE GREAT WITH THE CAR AND THE HANDLING OF MY

INSTALL WAS PERFECT. I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT CHEAPER ELSE WHERE ; BUT WHAT

YOU PAY IS PROPORTIONATE TO WHAT YOU GET ; AT LEAST IT WAS A FAR AS I WAS

CONCERNED.

HERE'S A FEW PICTURES TO LOOK AT AND LIKE THE OTHERS GUYS SAID. IF YOU DO

NOT WANT TO SPENT ALOT OF MONEY YOU SHOULD PROBABLY SELL YOUR CAR

BEFORE THE MODDING BEGINS. :hysterical:

SCOTTY

post-18850-126790193941_thumb.jpg

post-18850-126790208273_thumb.jpg

post-18850-126790212711_thumb.jpg

post-18850-126790193941_thumb.jpg

post-18850-126790208273_thumb.jpg

post-18850-126790212711_thumb.jpg

GT/SC.......just do it, don't look back. It is worth the extra coin to have a true GT/SC than just a Blower.

Chris

Edit: Welcome to Team Shelby.

My thoughts exactly!

SAI completed my build in less than a week. (Dropped off Monday morning, pick up Saturday morning. Thanks Roger et al)

It's like a completely different car! You will love it and the install at Vegas was/is perfect!

It has so much power though, you will need to think about future internal upgrades... I love my pedigree!

RogerDanDoug01.jpg

plaquesc.jpg

Thanks for all the great replies. I bought my Shelby new and have done some modest upgrades, stinger mufflers, panhard bar, slotted/drilled rotors, baer calipers, some Shelby interior upgrades, aeroforce gauges, and a new Nav/DVD/ stereo with upgraded speakers and subs. I still want to keep the value of the car as much as possible. I would love to install this myself, but this voids the warranty though, right?

Has anyone experianced any problems with the increased boost. Is it a good idea to have the lower end redone as well?

Thanks,

Joe

Thanks for all the great replies. I bought my Shelby new and have done some modest upgrades, stinger mufflers, panhard bar, slotted/drilled roters, baer calipers, some Shelby interior upgrades, aeroforce gauges, and a new Nav/DVD/ stereo with upgraded speakers and subs. I still want to keep the value of the car as much as possible. I would love to install this myself, but this voids the warranty though, right?

Has anyone experianced any problems with the increased boost. Is it a good idea to have the lower end redone as well?

Thanks,

Joe

stock clutch did not like all of the new power, and the rear tires didn't last very long either :D

Thanks for all the great replies. I bought my Shelby new and have done some modest upgrades, stinger mufflers, panhard bar, slotted/drilled rotors, baer calipers, some Shelby interior upgrades, aeroforce gauges, and a new Nav/DVD/ stereo with upgraded speakers and subs. I still want to keep the value of the car as much as possible. I would love to install this myself, but this voids the warranty though, right?

Thanks,

Joe

The additional power will most certainly fatigue other components sooner than without the boost. That's the nature of all things mechanical. If you're concerned about the additional costs associated with the extra HP, the blower is still worth it, just be sure to run a safe tune from a reputable shop to save yourself any unnecessary and extremely costly headaches. Good luck.

Ken

Hello all;

Thanks,

Joe

There has been some great write-ups in response to your question about whether to have your car super-charged by Shelby or privately. My car is at Quantum now getting s/c'd . I debated back and forth as to whether to have the car done here in Houston or keep the heritage. I could have saved over 1600.00 having the car done privately by a very reputable performance shop in Houston but the thought of being able to tell people at car shows that this was factory installed appealed to me. I'm probably to old to see the great value of having this car done through Shelby but maybe my grandson will appreciate it 30 or 40 years from now. There isn't really a wrong answer because i'm pretty sure there are more self or private installed superchargers than factory. The main thing is to feel confortable in what you do.Good-Luck and keep us posted, Kenny

Archived