TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT4139 in the Body Shop

I stopped by Concourse Autobody here in Calgary Alberta to check on the progress of my Shelby. The hood scoop is being replaced, the hood is being repainted (fixing the hood pin galvanic corrosion) , new stripes and new front Cal Spec bumper (the bumper was damaged by a Ford Service technician when the car was in for an oil change). I wanted to get a shot of the hood prior to the scoop going on to see the drill pattern for the rivet holes. I will post some photos in a couple of weeks of the finished car.

Special thanks to Gary Patterson and Bud Mahoney of Shelby American with helping out in the coordination of parts for the repair of my car.

post-26584-126780649874_thumb.jpg

post-26584-126780649979_thumb.jpg

post-26584-126780650076_thumb.jpg

post-26584-126780650186_thumb.jpg

post-26584-126780650302_thumb.jpg

post-26584-126780649874_thumb.jpg

post-26584-126780649979_thumb.jpg

post-26584-126780650076_thumb.jpg

post-26584-126780650186_thumb.jpg

post-26584-126780650302_thumb.jpg

Glad to see your getting things taken care of!

Be sure to come back and post when you're done!

Yes will do. Car is being sent out for the new stripes in a couple of weeks once the paint cures. Then back to the body shop for the install of the hood scoop.

A lot of us have switched to aluminum screws.

Yes I'm going with aluminum screws and have upgraded with the new hood pin kit with the Shelby logo that was used on the 08 SGT's

Body shop also noted there was corrosion around the bolts that attached the hood scoop to the hood.

A lot of us have switched to aluminum screws.

Jeff

I thought I remembered reading about that but was unable to find out where to puchase the screws. Did someone mention a boat/marine parts store?

I am not having any problems yet, but I am always looking whenever i wash the car. I have a friend with an SGT and his is bubbling....

Thank you

Laurence

Jeff

I thought I remembered reading about that but was unable to find out where to puchase the screws. Did someone mention a boat/marine parts store?

I am not having any problems yet, but I am always looking whenever i wash the car. I have a friend with an SGT and his is bubbling....

Thank you

Laurence

Laurence, unscrew the hood pin plates and check under the rubber gasket. You may be suprised at what you find. Its like a slow cancer on the sheet metal.

i didnt know aluminum can rustheadscratch.gif

Its basically galvanic corrosion. Here is the culprit : Stainless steel screws and hood pin supports coming in contact with aluminum hood sheet metal. I'm not an expert but here is a quote from Wilkipedia

"Galvanic corrosion is an electrochemical process in which one metal corrodes preferentially when in electrical contact with a different type of metal and both metals are immersed in an electrolyte. Conversely, a galvanic reaction is exploited in primary batteries to generate a voltage. A common example is the carbon-zinc cell where the zinc corrodes preferentially to produce a current. The lemon battery is another simple example of how dissimilar metals react to produce an electric current.When two or more different sorts of metal come into contact in the presence of an electrolyte a galvanic couple is set up as different metals have different electrode potentials. The electrolyte provides a means for ion migration whereby metallic ions can move from the anode to the cathode. This leads to the anodic metal corroding more quickly than it otherwise would; the corrosion of the cathodic metal is retarded even to the point of stopping. The presence of electrolyte and a conducting path between the metals may cause corrosion where otherwise neither metal alone would have corroded.Even a single type of metal may corrode galvanically if the electrolyte varies in composition, forming a concentration cell."A common example of galvanic corrosion is the rusting of corrugated iron sheet, which becomes widespread when the protective zinc coating is broken and the underlying steel is attacked. The zinc is attacked preferentially because it is less noble, but when consumed, rusting will occur in earnest. With a tin can, the opposite is true because the tin is more noble than the underlying steel, so when the coating is broken, the steel is attacked preferentially.

A rather more spectacular example occurred in the Statue of Liberty when regular maintenance in the 1980s showed that galvanic corrosion had taken place between the outer copper skin and the wrought iron support structure. Although the problem had been anticipated when the structure was built by Gustave Eiffel to Frédéric Bartholdi's design in the 1880s, the insulation of shellac between the two metals failed over a period of time and resulted in rusting of the iron supports. The renovation replaced the original insulation with PTFE. The structure was far from unsafe owing to the large number of unaffected connections, but it was regarded as a precautionary measure for what is considered a national US symbol.

Laurence, unscrew the hood pin plates and check under the rubber gasket. You may be suprised at what you find. Its like a slow cancer on the sheet metal.

I didn't need to hear that, and I will have to check it out;)

and I have been talking to one of the engineers I work with about hood cancer, and he likes the alum screw idea....

Thank you

Laurence

I didn't need to hear that, and I will have to check it out;)

and I have been talking to one of the engineers I work with about hood cancer, and he likes the alum screw idea....

Thank you

Laurence

Laurence, I talked with the body shop and they are telling me that aluminum screws are not as strong as the stainless and may shear under stress. Can't torque them up as much as the stainless?? They also said they would discolor. I'm going to get them to put some urethane in the holes when they put the hood pin screws back in. My hood was repainted so i made sure they got lots of paint into the holes to help out as much as possible. Hope this helps. Scott

• 3 weeks later...

April 1 update.

The SGT hood has been repainted as well as the new bumper. I delivered the car to the Graphics Shop with the Shelby Stripe Kit from SAI. My stripe installer was not very impressed with the time and effort it took to get the old stripes off the car. They were baked on pretty well and came off in dime sized pieces with lots of sticky glue residue that needed to be taken off very carefully. His comments on the replacement Shelby stripes was they were excellent quality. He said they were Oracal 970 PVC Film which is a premium product and would have a service life of 6 to 8 years. So here are some updated shots of the car as it goes through the stripe process. Next week the car should be done and then back to the body shop for the hood scoop install (rivet application) and final detailing.

post-26584-127016820922_thumb.jpg

post-26584-127016821096_thumb.jpg

post-26584-127016821305_thumb.jpg

post-26584-127016821455_thumb.jpg

post-26584-127016821593_thumb.jpg

post-26584-127016820922_thumb.jpg

post-26584-127016821096_thumb.jpg

post-26584-127016821305_thumb.jpg

post-26584-127016821455_thumb.jpg

post-26584-127016821593_thumb.jpg

Archived