TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 Max Speed

165MPHGT500

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I’m just curious about top speeds attained in the GT500 with or without chip limit; modified or stock. I want to know what to look forward to. Mine so far, 145 MPH with plenty of throttle and pull left in the car. I didn't have the courage or will to go much faster on an open highway without a spotter. I have visited the Texas Mile website and it seems to be a way to find her limit on a closed course.

I’ve seen the posts on the transmission run-out that show those very high speeds. I just wonder how fast she’ll really go.

:shift:

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I’m just curious about top speeds attained in the GT500 with or without chip limit; modified or stock. I want to know what to look forward to. Mine so far, 145 MPH with plenty of throttle and pull left in the car. I didn't have the courage or will to go much faster on an open highway without a spotter. I have visited the Texas Mile website and it seems to be a way to find her limit on a closed course.

I’ve seen the posts on the transmission run-out that show those very high speeds. I just wonder how fast she’ll really go.

Convert 155 @ limiter 3-4 times

Coupe 172 with limiter removed think 185 with tune quite possible

All 5th gear

These were done on open road in Canada. lol

I'm not sure where I read it, some car review, but the author was reviewing the GT500 and noted that without the rev limiter the top speed would be close to 200mph. I'll try to find the article.

I don't think it would see 200 if I dropped it off the Sears Tower. Drag=bad.

bj

I don't think it would see 200 if I dropped it off the Sears Tower. Drag=bad.

bj

I totally agree .... I cant see how the car ... even with 600 hp or more could hit 200 mph .... just aerodynamically impossible ... imho

I did hear one gentleman .. who's a renown(sorry , sworn too secrecy)tuner who had GPS said he/she (trying to throw u off the trail a little HA!) :happy feet: got way over 200 mph .. car wasn't factory .. had a mild tune.

I listened to him/her and didnt disagree but really didnt believe the story.

I personally wouldn't try running any car over triple digits unless on a prof track ... things even at 150 come up way to fast .... Fastest i ever been on road course is 140 in a straight way .... so u need to use due diligence on any hwy or interstate. Not a flame just my opinion.

Ford owns a test track in Naples Florida .. and I am going to try to get on that track and see what my top end is. I will have my race helmet on and it obviously will be a closed course.

dond

I totally agree .... I cant see how the car ... even with 600 hp or more could hit 200 mph .... just aerodynamically impossible ... imho

I did hear one gentleman .. who's a renown(sorry , sworn too secrecy)tuner who had GPS said he/she (trying to throw u off the trail a little HA!) :happy feet: got way over 200 mph .. car wasn't factory .. had a mild tune.

I listened to him/her and didnt disagree but really didnt believe the story.

I personally wouldn't try running any car over triple digits unless on a prof track ... things even at 150 come up way to fast .... Fastest i ever been on road course is 140 in a straight way .... so u need to use due diligence on any hwy or interstate. Not a flame just my opinion.

Ford owns a test track in Naples Florida .. and I am going to try to get on that track and see what my top end is. I will have my race helmet on and it obviously will be a closed course.

dond

Ford no longer owns that track, they sold it to Harley Davidson a few years ago. I've been in that proving grounds several times.

When I was there (as a test driver for Bridgestone) you had to be Ford employee or vendor to get in, very secretive. It was only about a 3/4 mile - 1 mile straight with loops on the end anyway. And there was a low speed limit, too...can't remember exactly. There were a couple of ride roads hidden in the trees back there as well, but nothing like a "real" proving ground.

as seen by the increaseing number of wrecked cars showing up on the site. it maybe be far more important how well the car stops and how skilled the driver is. than how fast the car can go , the car is easyly capable of speeds greater than most drivers ablitys.

if you want to go fast find a safe venue and take a professional driveing class. the life you save maybe be your own or MINE...

Ladies and Gentlemen,

140mph on a open highway late at night. It lasted for about 3 seconds before I punked out :baby: and slowed down to a resonable speed :stop: I'm more of an accelerate from a stop guy anyway.

as seen by the increaseing number of wrecked cars showing up on the site. it maybe be far more important how well the car stops and how skilled the driver is. than how fast the car can go , the car is easyly capable of speeds greater than most drivers ablitys.

if you want to go fast find a safe venue and take a professional driveing class. the life you save maybe be your own or MINE...

The two Hooters gals in your Avatar about made me wreck mine.

HSURB

It lasted for about 3 seconds before I punked out :baby: and slowed down to a resonable speed

Mine was during daylight, so I could see very well on the vacant road. There are too many opossums, skunks, and deer to drive that fast at night in Texas. I didn’t last too long (about 1 second) either. I‘m not young and immortal anymore. :hysterical2::play:

Ford no longer owns that track, they sold it to Harley Davidson a few years ago. I've been in that proving grounds several times.

When I was there (as a test driver for Bridgestone) you had to be Ford employee or vendor to get in, very secretive. It was only about a 3/4 mile - 1 mile straight with loops on the end anyway. And there was a low speed limit, too...can't remember exactly. There were a couple of ride roads hidden in the trees back there as well, but nothing like a "real" proving ground.

I knew ford sold it .. but i thought it had a 7 mile straight way .... guess wrong... No high speed testing for me than !

dond

I remember reading that the GT 500 was tested at 150 mph with Zero Lift. This is a good thing if you plan on really blowing it out. TTB, how did it feel at 172? :hyper:

I haven't found the road I like, so I am still a weenie at 140 or so. :cry:

carnut, the car was absolute rock solid at that speed. If I would have been going in other direction I am sure 185 or more was very easily possible in same distance. (uphill test and a pretty big hill)

I do not think it would hit 200 without a big boost in power from what I had. (VMT TUNE)

185 in 5th gear easily possible

The CMP would not have taken that to kindly.

I did find out the speedo stops dead at 160 though. Was watching it and wondering why it stopped then watching tach finally realized the tach was still climbing but speedo stopped. did not see a pin there...

The hood started to flutter just north of 160. slim to no flutter at 155 on ragtop. What surprised me with ragtop was there was hardly a flap on roof did not seem to faze it. The Coupe did feel more stable than vert though by a fairly big margin too.

carnut, the car was absolute rock solid at that speed. If I would have been going in other direction I am sure 185 or more was very easily possible in same distance. (uphill test and a pretty big hill)

I do not think it would hit 200 without a big boost in power from what I had. (VMT TUNE)

I did find out the speedo stops dead at 160 though. Was watching it and wondering why it stopped then watching tach finally realized the tach was still climbing but speedo stopped. did not see a pin there...

The hood started to flutter just north of 160. slim to no flutter at 155 on ragtop. What surprised me with ragtop was there was hardly a flap on roof did not seem to faze it. The Coupe did feel more stable than vert though by a fairly big margin too.

You got more huevos than me, Kemosabe, I am sure Ford's testing was done with the coupe. Hood flutter would have made me just a tad nervous too. I read somewhere that Ford pushed the car to somewhere short of 190 on a test track.

Still it must have been quite a ride. :hyper:

I was very comfortable until 177.

Then, my electric shaver shuddered and gave me pause.

At that point, I switched from Vilvadi to Brahms and settled in for a brisk romp to 187.5.

Very invigorating, yes?

Oh, no hood flutter. But my female companion did complain of some minor "cramps."

:hysterical2:

I was very comfortable until 177.

Then, my electric shaver shuddered and gave me pause.

At that point, I switched from Vilvadi to Brahms and settled in for a brisk romp to 187.5.

Very invigorating, yes?

Oh, no hood flutter. But my female companion did complain of some minor "cramps."

:hysterical2:

So did you almost have sex? :hyper:

Does any one live by the Bonnevile salt flats????? No speed limit and no copper copper crime stoppers......

as the crow flies I am about 500 miles away

never realized before but the salt area is over 100 miles long (115) at longest point

would be fun someday to get to go a true 200 in maybe a Ford GT. and to think there are a few people who have done that on street. ok more than a few

as the crow flies I am about 500 miles away

never realized before but the salt area is over 100 miles long (115) at longest point

would be fun someday to get to go a true 200 in maybe a Ford GT. and to think there are a few people who have done that on street. ok more than a few

Maybe we will have to start our own event NFTA :hyper:

Maybe we will have to start our own event NFTA :hyper:

There is an open house and track day not too far from there this summer as the SVTOA national meet is going to be there along with Shelby Meet

I have also been on Fords test track in Yucca, AZ the track is 5.0 miles around with straights aprox 1.25 miles each with corners that have a 140mph neutral speed on high bank. Great track at high speed.

If I told ya how I got to go around it I would have to shoot ya' lol

I even got a pic of myself standing in front of the main building with a huge Ford crew! :hyper:

That was Q u i t e the experience to say the least

Had mine up to 205km/hr on the Coquihalla, backed off cause the hood flutter was scaring me.

There is an open house and track day not too far from there this summer as the SVTOA national meet is going to be there along with Shelby Meet

I have also been on Fords test track in Yucca, AZ the track is 5.0 miles around with straights aprox 1.25 miles each with corners that have a 140mph neutral speed on high bank. Great track at high speed.

If I told ya how I got to go around it I would have to shoot ya' lol

I even got a pic of myself standing in front of the main building with a huge Ford crew! :hyper:

That was Q u i t e the experience to say the least

I'm just doing the math in my head....at 180 MPH, a mile only takes 20 seconds. :drop: That straightaway would seem awfully short at that speed. I don't know how those indycar folks do it. Oh, yes, I forgot...they have cars that cost $$$$. :hysterical:

I'm just doing the math in my head....at 180 MPH, a mile only takes 20 seconds. :drop: That straightaway would seem awfully short at that speed. I don't know how those indycar folks do it. Oh, yes, I forgot...they have cars that cost $$$$. :hysterical:

No shit. How do they do it - Training like fighter jet pilot.

Dave, a Shelby should run 150mph in standing mile.

I did it from a roll of about 60 in 3rd gear. It took approx 1.4 miles to reach that speed. total distance travelled was under 2.0 miles total from roll to dead stop/turn after driving the approx last half mile just letting off throttle and one fairly hard tap on brakes for a few seconds then normal.

very fast from 60 to 140 even to 160 after that the speedo stopped at peg so did not see it rising only the tach

Highway 1 before Calgary has some very nice roads

The turns are about a approx 1.3-1.4 mi each and very steeply banked. Steep enough it would be very very difficult to walk up.

Absolute hoot to go around at speed.

At 110 mph you cannot drive on upper section of track even if you turn outwards. Neutral 140 is you can go 140 mph with your hand off wheel and anything less you will have to turn out to stay up.

Hit turn at 140 and you do not have to turn wheel.

Would be curious as to what the top shelby speed has been on this track but would guess 180+

I have also been on Chryslers test track at speed and had a permit/license to drive there with FoMoCo test vehicles.

I have also driven on Volvo's test track but not over 100mph. (permit there also for FoMoCo veh)

FoMoCo Yucca test track I have been well over 100mph in a 15 pass van full of people. And yes that van would actually pull from 100mph loaded. They refused to open hood or tell me what was in it but can assume a very healthy V10. Not sure if turbo'd, supercharged or really tweaked but it was very surprising.

Archived