TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Buyers Beware

PhotoRick

Shelby buyers who have decided to accept a purchase at $20,000 or more above MSRP should take a look at the current selling prices of the Ford GT.

On ebay today is a 2005 Ford GT with 10 miles. It is listed for something very close to MSRP.

Not long ago the Ford GT was selling for $100,000 to $125,000 over MSRP at dealers I visited in Florida and Michigan. A year ago at Sarasota Ford in Sarasota FL I was there when a 2005 Ford GT sold for $275,000.

Check this post. These cars are now going for just about MSRP with almost no miles on the odometer. GTs with a few hundred miles are going for less than MSRP.

The value of the Ford GT has fallen by about $100,000 in one year.

See for yourself. Check out this link or do a search on ebay for Ford GTs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-GT-Cou...1QQcmdZViewItem

PhotoRick, I've been preaching that here since day one: wait long enough and you'll get a GT500 at MSRP - maybe lower. It may take a year or more to see prices fall that far, but it happens every time a cool, new toy comes out. The guys that gotta have one first pay a premium.

If you look up the definition for "Enterprise" this is what you find.... :read:

"Freedom to trade without government control: the doctrine or practice of giving companies the freedom to trade and make a profit without government control"

What we are asking is for FORD to step in & control their dealers, not the government (which is a whole other topic).

When the FORD GT came out its MSRP was 146-151k but with extremely lower build numbers per year & they are hand-made & only the SUPER RICH could afford them. The dealers knew this & took advantage of the situation (like insider trading) and ordered as many as they could (because they know we can't buy direct from FORD) & added 75-100k to the MSRP or put them on eBay, which is fine if you have money to Burn. I think even today some of those same dealers are still sitting on them just waiting for some rich Playboy to come by & plop down a wad of cash. :wacko:

Now that FORD has decided to build a Shelby GT 500 for the average Blue coller worker to afford, the dealers automatically thought the same thing.... big $$$ but with more volume (hurray for them)... :nonono:

Without us, the Blue coller worker you won't survive on rich playboys alone. :rockon:

If your a FORD dealer or salesman reading this (sorry Five Oh B, nothing against you, your cool & honest ), then you know what your doing & so do we & we are not going to take this lying down! :nonono: For every one of us who gets treated like this when we were told we could by at MSRP & then later told different, we will spread your greedy company name around hundreds of times for everyone to know & ask questions.

Our answers will make future customers wonder about your sales tactics the next time their thinking of buying a new car or truck from you, which in the long run will cost you even more, dealer allotments, lost sales dollars & maybe even your job because your not meeting your sales numbers because of greed.

Now is it still worth it to sell above MSRP for the short term gain? Personally I think not! :nonono:

I think you get the point? Everyone including me is getting MADDER by the day everytime one goes up for auction or is even reported to sell above MSRP.

I, too, have offered the Ford GT/Shelby comparison. Certainly, Five Oh B knows more than I & he says it more concisely.

I've followed the GT500 and the boards since the first rumor of the car. I've owned a 3 SVT products (currently driving an 06 Mustang), and I too got caught up in the hype.

Stepping back from the situation and acknowledging that SVT and its pledge of "exclusivity" is history on April 1, why would Ford NOT build as many GT500s as it can sell?

I think that question has been lost in the hysteria. Are there any confirmed statements from Ford that it will be 6,000, 10,000 or whatever in 07?

Seriously, if the demand is as great as we believe it to be, why would Ford only built a very limited number of cars?

I, too, have offered the Ford GT/Shelby comparison. Certainly, Five Oh B knows more than I & he says it more concisely.

I've followed the GT500 and the boards since the first rumor of the car. I've owned a 3 SVT products (currently driving an 06 Mustang), and I too got caught up in the hype.

Stepping back from the situation and acknowledging that SVT and its pledge of "exclusivity" is history on April 1, why would Ford NOT build as many GT500s as it can sell?

I think that question has been lost in the hysteria. Are there any confirmed statements from Ford that it will be 6,000, 10,000 or whatever in 07?

Seriously, if the demand is as great as we believe it to be, why would Ford only built a very limited number of cars?

Good for you gt5001. I'm with you... I have time. My ego and I don't need to be first (and pay the premium it entails!).

Why won't they build as many as they can... sounds like the common answer is avail of the trannys. They'll build as many as they can within the constraints of their poor supply chain management!

Good for you gt5001. I'm with you... I have time. My ego and I don't need to be first (and pay the premium it entails!).

Why won't they build as many as they can... sounds like the common answer is avail of the trannys. They'll build as many as they can within the constraints of their poor supply chain management!

Most suppliers are eager to ramp up for more sales and often the supplier's unit cost goes down with higher production. Don't know about whoever is building the transmissions, but with at least a two-year production cycle, one would think an additional 10K units wouldn't be that big a deal.

If it were not for SVT building cars that provided bang for the buck, I would never shop Ford for anything. But since they did and I was able to get 4 different SVT vehicles, I also purchased two Foci for my wife. I can tell you if the GT500 turns out to be the debacle it seems to be then I have no need of Ford.

I have already spent my money else ware since they do not make an upscale car I want in their Lincoln division. Ford had a lot to gain by keeping SVT alive for me but the numbers must not bare that out for them. I hope I get a GT500, but there are too many great cars out there to over pay for this thing........Steve

OK, sports fans, lets not forget the deal with the T56 transmission. Name ONE other U.S. manual transmission of any description for available for the mass market (several thousand or more) that can handle 400 or more HP/TQ. Tick tick tick tick. Time's up. It's in the Viper, the GT500, Vette (excuse the ignorance of Bowtie products, isn't it the basis for the Vette transaxle?), and almost certainly the Challenger and Camaro when they hit the market. Probably some other cars I'm not aware of as well. Pretty good corner on the market so supply could be tight. I suspect they could produce a few thousand more but not tens of thousands more for all comers without some difficulty.

I can tell you if the GT500 turns out to be the debacle it seems to be then I have no need of Ford.

debacle?

So far it seems like a huge success. They haven't even hit the market and they seem to be selling pretty darn fast.

>Pretty good corner on the market so supply could be tight. I suspect they could produce a few thousand more but not tens of thousands more for all comers without some difficulty.

Hasn't been a problem for Dell computer, most other manfucturers in any field. I cite whatever company that produces automatics for the Hemi-powered DCM products. And that tranny will handle high HP/TQ.

Maybe, too, Ford's market research tells them that 10K, 12K, whatever number of GT500s will meet actual demand. The question is whether whatever number is produced makes to the asphalt rather than remaining on the showroom floor, ala the Ford GT. The original production number for the GT apparently has proven to be more than adequate.

>Pretty good corner on the market so supply could be tight. I suspect they could produce a few thousand more but not tens of thousands more for all comers without some difficulty.

Hasn't been a problem for Dell computer, most other manfucturers in any field. I cite whatever company that produces automatics for the Hemi-powered DCM products. And that tranny will handle high HP/TQ.

Maybe, too, Ford's market research tells them that 10K, 12K, whatever number of GT500s will meet actual demand. The question is whether whatever number is produced makes to the asphalt rather than remaining on the showroom floor, ala the Ford GT. The original production number for the GT apparently has proven to be more than adequate.

The FORD GT is in a different price range and should not be compaired with production numbers.

I am kinda surprised that they don't offer an automatic transmission in the GT500, not that I would want one, but in the 60's alot of the Shelby Mustangs had them. I would think that there are some customers out there that would like an auto, which may open them (GT500's) up to a new customer base, and not limit production #'s based on availability of the 6-speed.

debacle?

So far it seems like a huge success. They haven't even hit the market and they seem to be selling pretty darn fast.

I am sorry I should have clarified that yes the car will be very popular. When people make a deal we should stick to it and this thread talks to deals being broken. That for me is the issue. For the dealers that made no promises, then they can do what they want. For those that made commitments, even verbal they should stand up and act honorably. In the end the dealership is not going to be made or broke on 20-30K of income in a given year.

The thing that also makes it a debacle is the BJ auction BS that is being used by dealers and the fact that Ford has not put out solid info on production numbers. If Ford came out and said we will make 10K for 07 and 08 and dealers stopped bulling the BJ auction crap then this would bring more reason to the situation.......Steve

The thing that also makes it a debacle is the BJ auction BS that is being used by dealers and the fact that Ford has not put out solid info on production numbers. If Ford came out and said we will make 10K for 07 and 08 and dealers stopped bulling the BJ auction crap then this would bring more reason to the situation.......Steve

I completely agree. The BJ auction was the worst thing that happened for the 07 GT500 buyers out there. I get so sick of dealers bring up the $600K auction price. Not only was it for CHARITY, but it wasn't just for the car. The auction winner got a bunch of other stuff like a sweet set of tools, trips to the Ford factory to watch the car being built, one-on-one time with Mr. Shelby, etc. Come on dealers (who are pulling this), do you think your customers are that dumb? :nonono:

The FORD GT is in a different price range and should not be compaired with production numbers.

I disagree to a point. Yes the GT is in a different price range. Yes it probably had a different customer than the GT500. But, dealers who did/are holding out for huge ADM's over MSRP have screwed up a good thing.

Here's my thinking:

- limited production super car at MSRP already had a limited customer base

- this led to the extravagant ADM's that early sales demanded

- however, when supply caught up, and dealers didn't move the 1 or 2 cars they had on their showroom floors because they still expected these huge mark ups, the customer either 1) went elsewhere (different dealer or other brand) or 2) didn't buy at all.

- slow orders were/are because of multiple dealers (check ebay now, there's still a ton of them on there with outragous Buy it Now's) sitting on cars that they have trouble selling (potential customer 6 months ago either bought elsewhere or won't buy from them).

- if dealers had just sold for a reasonable price (again, I look at Five oh B's example of a good dealer), they would keep selling them - which would lead to Ford producing more (and making more $$ - what they desperately need right now!!)

- this was to be a limited production, but I believe Ford called it even sooner than it had planned because of slow orders.

As to our Shelby's:

Once the furor of the initial orders dies down, and the guys who are willing/able to buy for the big ADM's get their cars, how will the dealers adjust their pricing? Will they let the cars sit on the showroom for months, waiting for the one guy who WILL pay them the huge mark up? Or, will they settle for making a decent profit at MSRP, selling all they can get, and showing Ford that this is a car they should keep making (and maybe even step up production on!!). If cars sit in the showroom, and orders slow down, it is very possible for Ford to slow down as well - which will lead to fewer cars being sold, and prices not coming down.

I think it's a dangerous cliff we're looking at. One false step and we (and Ford & it's dealers) could all be the losers!

I just wonder if dealers all sold for MSRP would more have sold. Even rich people are not stupid and don't just bend over to be over charged. If I was in the market, I would have been completly turned off and not bothered once dealers tried to justify the ADM. Bragging rights are worthless at this level of spend. An Enzo Ferrari maybe, since I am sure you must be invited to buy one.

I am sorry I should have clarified that yes the car will be very popular. When people make a deal we should stick to it and this thread talks to deals being broken. That for me is the issue. For the dealers that made no promises, then they can do what they want. For those that made commitments, even verbal they should stand up and act honorably. In the end the dealership is not going to be made or broke on 20-30K of income in a given year.

I see. I thought you meant the car itself.

>The FORD GT is in a different price range and should not be compaired with production numbers.

True to a point. But the very same thing happened with the Thunderbird. My tiny dealer's allocation (who by the way is/was a charter SVT dealer) for the first year of the 'bird was ONE. Five long-time, repeat customers wanted the car. One out-of-stater came with a bag of cash for a deposit. (He didn't take it.) As I recall, he called everyone that wanted the car and told them his grandkid would draw a name out of a hat. They understood. He actually ended up getting three cars the first year. I vividly recall being at the dealership about the time the Thunderbird was canceled and he had four of them. Remember, this is a tiny dealership.

T-bird and GT500 different cars? Certainly, but after a couple of years, there may be Shelbybirds readily available, just as there are plenty of Ford GTs out there.

As to our Shelby's:

Once the furor of the initial orders dies down, and the guys who are willing/able to buy for the big ADM's get their cars, how will the dealers adjust their pricing? Will they let the cars sit on the showroom for months, waiting for the one guy who WILL pay them the huge mark up? Or, will they settle for making a decent profit at MSRP, selling all they can get, and showing Ford that this is a car they should keep making (and maybe even step up production on!!). If cars sit in the showroom, and orders slow down, it is very possible for Ford to slow down as well - which will lead to fewer cars being sold, and prices not coming down.

I fully expect to get more cars than the 5 we took deposits for at $10K over MSRP. I also know that those extra cars and the 2008's will come after the demand has settled down and supply is easy. We will adjust our pricing accordingly. This is how we handled the 2005-6 GT supercars and we're sold out - we've had four come and go at market correct pricing that made everyone happy. We priced our first one too high, but realized it quickly and marked it down to make it attractive. Some dealers still don't get it and are sitting on brand new 2005 GT's with 2006's coming or already on the ground. I hope everyone gets it with the GT500 and eases the pricing down as more cars arrive and the early cars to the guys who gotta have one now come and go.

Archived