TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cleaning/waxing after body work?

Front cap of my car has recently (Jan.) been repainted--hood, bumper cover, both front fenders. Body shop guy says don't wax it, don't put anything on it for at least a year. It is VERY slick and looks great. So, aside from clay bar on the rest of the car (which I probably will never take the time to do) what do you suggest I use to keep a nice shine on the "new" part of the car? I have never used a "detailer" spray in my life. I'm used to a couple of waxes a year and frequent washes.

Front cap of my car has recently (Jan.) been repainted--hood, bumper cover, both front fenders. Body shop guy says don't wax it, don't put anything on it for at least a year. It is VERY slick and looks great. So, aside from clay bar on the rest of the car (which I probably will never take the time to do) what do you suggest I use to keep a nice shine on the "new" part of the car? I have never used a "detailer" spray in my life. I'm used to a couple of waxes a year and frequent washes.

I used meguires Glaze for a couple of months after have my stripes painted on and re clear coated so the new paint could breath and dry properly. I would not use wax for a little while as it seals the pain.

my 2 cents

Russ

The year is about right....I left mine naked for about 6 months and was sure to park in the sun and let it bake in....I clayed barred it then laid down 4 coats of ICE paste and kept the front touched up with ICE liquid.

I use Adam's Detail Spray and it works great! Easy on, easy off and leaves a nice finish.

Todays paints and clear cure very quickly. Even the worst paint and clear does not take a year to cure. Usually a few hours under a heat lamp or 48 hours in the sun cure the finish at most. Very few bodyshops (hopefully none) will let you leave without uncured finish. Just on warranty alone. Depending on the warranty you were given with the work might be the reason for saying a year. Now if you are worried about protecting the finish until the year is up I would use a detail spray minimum or better a glaze. Glaze is breathable protection which lets finishes cure yet be able to BREATHE and let the solvents evaporate and so on. I have had cars come out of a paint booth and need to be ready for a car show fast yet the finish has to look really good so glaze is what I use. Hope this helps.

a year is a little much i work at my dads body shop we use glasurit paint which is a base coat clear coat, we tell people that get work done not to wax it for at least 30 days to be safe, but the paints used today do cure very fast and they are getting faster like the others that have posted above me. the paint we use you can buff over it after about 4-8 hrs of dry time which that also depends on temperature, of course on smaller job not an overall, and ive gotten some wax on one of my other cars after about 1 week after it was painted and nothing happened.if i was you i would find out what kind of paint/clear they used.

Archived