TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Navi System

Anyone replace the Shaker 500 with the factory Navi system? Is it a good system? I'd really like to have an in-dash system in my 07 SGT (0527) but don't want it to look tacky.

Anyone replace the Shaker 500 with the factory Navi system? Is it a good system? I'd really like to have an in-dash system in my 07 SGT (0527) but don't want it to look tacky.

From what I understand, this is an easy swap replacing the Shaker 500 with the NAV unit...you'll need to get the GPS antenna that mounts under the dash as well, but everything else is pretty much plug and play.

I'm looking at this also, but have the Shaker 1000, which has some additional issues. I am told there are several out there that will work and fit in the dash looking like OEM from factory. headscratch.gif

GG

The factory NAV unit does not support the Shaker 1000 sub woofer in the trunk...I have seen others switch to the AVIC units, and I believe they do support the sub woofer in the trunk with those units...they are slightly smaller than the factory NAV, but look pretty close...not tacky...

I've wanted to do this for a while as well and have considered the Kenwood DNX series because of the Garmin GPS. I found these on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/7-LCD-GPS-Navigation-System-Maps-DVD-KIT-FORD-MUSTANG_W0QQitemZ260506084969QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca75f6669

http://cgi.ebay.com/05-09-Ford-MUSTANG-GPS-DVD-NAVIGATION-IPOD-RADIO-BT-08_W0QQitemZ150417454972QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item230594377c

But neither are the factory unit. Does anyone have a link to the factory one or the "best" most cost effective one? Thanks,

Jim

Beware the promises made by ebay sellers. I personally don't know of anyone that has successfully installed a FACTORY Nav system in a car that wasn't delivered with it. In every case I've seen the system will have random issues with some features just not working.

This has been a HOT topic on Mustang web sites since the Nav was introduced and while some say, oh you need IUP, others will say, it only works on 07, or 08 and above, or it requires some software upgrade, etc., etc., the fact is I haven't found anyone that's got it working right.

I very well could be wrong, but I don't keep up on it every day, so do some real searching on some of the more heavily used Mustang sites for more info and guidance. If you do find how to do it and are successful please come back and post as I know there a lot of people that would like to do this.

That said there are some REALLY nice OEM looking units for sale that are fully supported, and do a lot more, like also serve as a DVD player, you might want to consider.

Either way good luck!

Beware the promises made by ebay sellers. I personally don't know of anyone that has successfully installed a FACTORY Nav system in a car that wasn't delivered with it. In every case I've seen the system will have random issues with some features just not working.

This has been a HOT topic on Mustang web sites since the Nav was introduced and while some say, oh you need IUP, others will say, it only works on 07, or 08 and above, or it requires some software upgrade, etc., etc., the fact is I haven't found anyone that's got it working right.

I very well could be wrong, but I don't keep up on it every day, so do some real searching on some of the more heavily used Mustang sites for more info and guidance. If you do find how to do it and are successful please come back and post as I know there a lot of people that would like to do this.

That said there are some REALLY nice OEM looking units for sale that are fully supported, and do a lot more, like also serve as a DVD player, you might want to consider.

Either way good luck!

I replaced the shaker 1000 with a Pioneer nav, dvd, and bluetooth system. I had professional install and the system looks like it came oem.

I replaced the shaker 1000 with a Pioneer nav, dvd, and bluetooth system. I had professional install and the system looks like it came oem.

Post some pics of that system.

I've wanted to do this for a while as well and have considered the Kenwood DNX series because of the Garmin GPS. I found these on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/7-LCD-GPS-Navigation-System-Maps-DVD-KIT-FORD-MUSTANG_W0QQitemZ260506084969QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca75f6669

http://cgi.ebay.com/05-09-Ford-MUSTANG-GPS-DVD-NAVIGATION-IPOD-RADIO-BT-08_W0QQitemZ150417454972QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item230594377c

But neither are the factory unit. Does anyone have a link to the factory one or the "best" most cost effective one? Thanks,

Jim

That second unit may be FORD, but it did NOT come out of a Mustang...Most EBAY Nav Units can be distinguished by the radio knobs...no chrome trim = 07 or earlier...chrome trim on the knobs = 08 or newer...Almost all of the units that I have seen on EBAY recommend you have the dealer "program" the unit specifically for your car, and from what I have read, this can be an expensive "program"...I don't know what all is involved in the "programming" so I can't elaborate on that. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do, but keep us posted...I'm always interested to see what others are doing to their cars...

That second unit may be FORD, but it did NOT come out of a Mustang...Most EBAY Nav Units can be distinguished by the radio knobs...no chrome trim = 07 or earlier...chrome trim on the knobs = 08 or newer...Almost all of the units that I have seen on EBAY recommend you have the dealer "program" the unit specifically for your car, and from what I have read, this can be an expensive "program"...I don't know what all is involved in the "programming" so I can't elaborate on that. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do, but keep us posted...I'm always interested to see what others are doing to their cars...

I'm going to go with the Kenwood DNX 6140 system. After reading further and asking both these ebay sellers questions about their systems. Both are oversea's products and without a product name (neither would give the manufacturer) I don't trust it. I use a Garmin GPS in my work car and love it, so I might as well pony up and get the one I know I'll love. Once I spend the money I'll take some pictures and post them for your guys.

Jim

Just some food for thought...I have the OEM Nav unit. It's CD based so whenever you need to upgrade the navigation system you have to buy a new CD to put in the unit. That's about a $200 hit depending on where you get the CD. I suppose if you pay a monthly fee as some nav systems charge, and extrapolate that out it's probably not much different, but it sure seems like a big hit. And it's not a continual upgrade like the monthly units. It's only upgraded when you spring for a new CD.

Just thought I'd pass that along. Other than that, I love the unit and really enjoy the way it ties everything together; Nav, sound, titles, etc.....and it does look good.

Just an FYI.

John

Just some food for thought...I have the OEM Nav unit. It's CD based so whenever you need to upgrade the navigation system you have to buy a new CD to put in the unit. That's about a $200 hit depending on where you get the CD. I suppose if you pay a monthly fee as some nav systems charge, and extrapolate that out it's probably not much different, but it sure seems like a big hit. And it's not a continual upgrade like the monthly units. It's only upgraded when you spring for a new CD.

Just thought I'd pass that along. Other than that, I love the unit and really enjoy the way it ties everything together; Nav, sound, titles, etc.....and it does look good.

Just an FYI.

John

Don't want to be too picky, ok, I do, it's a DVD not a CD. ;-)

As for price you can find them on ebay for a for more reasonable price. I have an 07 and updated to the 08 DVD then recently the 09 DVD and in both cases I paid less than $100 and then sold each of mine for about $25 each so net was $75 or so. I basically always am one release older but it's cheaper than paying for the latest. So just an option!

DSC_0258.jpg

Upgrade to stereo included tweeters put on A pillars, a second Kenwood 4 channel amp and hertz audison mids and highs

Upgrade to stereo included tweeters put on A pillars, a second Kenwood 4 channel amp and hertz audison mids and highs

Looks great!

Very OEM looking and, unlike trying to get a factory one to work, it's supported!

Plus you can play DVD's right?

I had a factory Navi System by ford (2008 OEM w/silver trim) I bought on e-bay about a year ago. I had the software updated for a Shaker 500 and worked well with a 2008 DVD. This all changed when I installed the Kicker Upgrade. The sub-woofer was putting out way too much bass and was getting bad distortion. Plus, the Navi System wasn't pushing the door woofers at all. I reinstalled the Shaker 500 and all is well, but I have a working OEM Navi System I can't use. I'm getting ready to put it on e-bay, but if someone is interested let me know.

Looks great!

Very OEM looking and, unlike trying to get a factory one to work, it's supported!

Plus you can play DVD's right?

DVD's play/look very good. Bluetooth is awesome, handsfree, and used only when a neccesity.

Don't want to be too picky, ok, I do, it's a DVD not a CD. ;-)

As for price you can find them on ebay for a for more reasonable price. I have an 07 and updated to the 08 DVD then recently the 09 DVD and in both cases I paid less than $100 and then sold each of mine for about $25 each so net was $75 or so. I basically always am one release older but it's cheaper than paying for the latest. So just an option!

Picky, picky picky....CD is 30% faster to type than DVD! hysterical.gif

What did you use for a search string on eBay, I couldn't find any DVD's for the OEM nav system?

Thanks,

John

pics and price??? GG

You wanted pics, here you go. This is a Ford 6CD GPS MP3 Navigation Radio I bought in June '08. It has the 7P version of the Nav DVD and GPS antenna.

I'll take $750 and I'll throw in the shipping. Keep in mind, I had this reprogrammed for the Shaker 500. I have a Paypal Account and would prefer payment that way, but would entertain other payment options. Thanks

You wanted pics, here you go. This is a Ford 6CD GPS MP3 Navigation Radio I bought in June '08. It has the 7P version of the Nav DVD and GPS antenna.

I'll take $750 and I'll throw in the shipping. Keep in mind, I had this reprogrammed for the Shaker 500. I have a Paypal Account and would prefer payment that way, but would entertain other payment options. Thanks

Nice, Wish I had some extra money laying around right now...I'd jump on it....

Hey John,

Try "Ford nav DVD"

I'm running 7P right now.

Well, found several, but nothing newer than 6P. I'll just keep checking periodically. Thanks again.

Well, found several, but nothing newer than 6P. I'll just keep checking periodically. Thanks again.

Here ya go!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Lincoln-Mercury-Navigation-Disc-N-America-7P_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2a05238706QQitemZ180474840838QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo#ht_550wt_941

HERE YA GO!!!

I installed a pioneer unit over 2 years ago.. it has worked flawlessly, and the bluetooth has been compatible with three phones so far.

I currently have the verizon droid and am able to steam Pandora through the bluetooth stereo..

A couple of months ago, I gutted the sirius trunk antenna and turned it into an xm antenna.

Any questions, please PM or email me: mustangparts65@msn.com

HERE YA GO!!!

I installed a pioneer unit over 2 years ago.. it has worked flawlessly, and the bluetooth has been compatible with three phones so far.

I currently have the verizon droid and am able to steam Pandora through the bluetooth stereo..

A couple of months ago, I gutted the sirius trunk antenna and turned it into an xm antenna.

Any questions, please PM or email me: mustangparts65@msn.com

If I didn't have a factory unit this would be the way to go! It's so much better than the factory set up too.

Nice!

If I didn't have a factory unit this would be the way to go! It's so much better than the factory set up too.

Nice!

Yes, I am very happy with the entire system.

Forgot to add:

It works with the Shaker 1000 subs/amps.

I can play DVDs whenever, regardless of e-brake or not (but come on, I'm not an idiot.. It's just nice to know that I have the ability)

Backup camera.. works really well, especially considering the dark tint on my back window.

Nav is also 'unlocked' meaning that you don't have to be stopped to set your course.

Etc...

It's kind of like the OEM setup, but without all of the 'nannies' controlling how it is used..

Archived