TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Countdown to Retirement

Nice house Tony. When are you moving in ? Did you sell your other place ?

Don't know yet, now we can start planning that portion. We have some work to do on our place - decluttering mostly, since we need to do it for the showing and the move... When we get back that starts in earnest; we'd been dabbling at it but now need to get a rolloff and just start tossing stuff. I started looking at stuff we have in boxes that have only been opened and resealed for the third move - stuff we thought we wanted to keep but now don't know why since all it does is sit in boxes. I've collected tons of building materials - nails, etc - that I will never ever use. Wire on spools that would be easier to replace (e.g., cat5 and coax) than carting the spools along. So thinning is important now. Most likely the process will take 3-4 months.

Don't know yet, now we can start planning that portion. We have some work to do on our place - decluttering mostly, since we need to do it for the showing and the move... When we get back that starts in earnest; we'd been dabbling at it but now need to get a rolloff and just start tossing stuff. I started looking at stuff we have in boxes that have only been opened and resealed for the third move - stuff we thought we wanted to keep but now don't know why since all it does is sit in boxes. I've collected tons of building materials - nails, etc - that I will never ever use. Wire on spools that would be easier to replace (e.g., cat5 and coax) than carting the spools along. So thinning is important now. Most likely the process will take 3-4 months.

We moved to town in 09 after being on the farm and a 5 bedroom house for 39 years. Oh my for an accumulation of stuff! I still have boxes that I haven't opened-so now that I am retired hopefully I can get through them. I will work on it a little at a time. The things I saved for the kids while they were growing up I am giving to them. Sports things like newspaper articles, trophies, etc. and they can do what they want with them. The house in town has only 3 bedrooms so I had lots of closets that I don't have now. It all takes time and I am way behind on coffee parties after working for 20 plus years!

We moved to town in 09 after being on the farm and a 5 bedroom house for 39 years. Oh my for an accumulation of stuff! I still have boxes that I haven't opened-so now that I am retired hopefully I can get through them. I will work on it a little at a time. The things I saved for the kids while they were growing up I am giving to them. Sports things like newspaper articles, trophies, etc. and they can do what they want with them. The house in town has only 3 bedrooms so I had lots of closets that I don't have now. It all takes time and I am way behind on coffee parties after working for 20 plus years!

We had an unfinished area that became the collection point for stuff, both old and new. My wife is an avid reader and the tons of books will be going... She reads ebooks now, and except for some authors we both like will likely never read any of them again. Other stuff like strings of christmas tree lights (they burn out just sitting in a box, and would be replaced with much more durable ones anyway) will go. Etc...

We had an unfinished area that became the collection point for stuff, both old and new. My wife is an avid reader and the tons of books will be going... She reads ebooks now, and except for some authors we both like will likely never read any of them again. Other stuff like strings of christmas tree lights (they burn out just sitting in a box, and would be replaced with much more durable ones anyway) will go. Etc...

The worst part is that you have to go through every box and everything in order to decided what to do with it. garbage, save or Salvation Army. I found that the pile to go to the trash was the biggest. I don't know why we hang on to some of that stuff! Clothes that don't fit, haven't worn in years, have spots on them all have to be sorted as well. I think people need to move every few years then they won't have all that accumulation of stuff. We also had boxes of books that went to the shelter as we do the e-reader thing now too. Old decorations that are broken and or just have gotten ratty looking=shoes that are out of style or not comfortable. The list goes on and on. But it all takes so much time!!! Good luck

The worst part is that you have to go through every box and everything in order to decided what to do with it. garbage, save or Salvation Army. I found that the pile to go to the trash was the biggest. I don't know why we hang on to some of that stuff! Clothes that don't fit, haven't worn in years, have spots on them all have to be sorted as well. I think people need to move every few years then they won't have all that accumulation of stuff. We also had boxes of books that went to the shelter as we do the e-reader thing now too. Old decorations that are broken and or just have gotten ratty looking=shoes that are out of style or not comfortable. The list goes on and on. But it all takes so much time!!! Good luck

The problem with the trash file is it will contain a lot of stuff that people might be able to use (mostly books) but that libraries won't take any more. So we'll try craigs list and maybe even a yard sale, but in the end, much of the stuff will go to the dumpster because of time.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with the trash file is it will contain a lot of stuff that people might be able to use (mostly books) but that libraries won't take any more. So we'll try craigs list and maybe even a yard sale, but in the end, much of the stuff will go to the dumpster because of time.

But yes, I agree, there are some things that we ought to try to repurpose, but we have a time limit on some things. Last night I went through some of my wife's 45 RPM records. She wanted to toss them, but I went to ebay and the average price for them is about $5. Not bad I think. Certainly worth taking them down to a local record store for the whole package. There were lots of Monkees and Beatles and others. I now know why we've been together since 1975 - I didn't even know but our music tastes even before we knew each other were very similar (except I dind't think too much of the Monkees until say recently :) )

Well it's final. May 30, 2014 will be my last day. 30 years in the fire service.

Harald,

Congrats! Now you and Glenda can look forward to choosing your own priorities rather than having emergencies and command duties set them - although I know you'll always care about the Department and your community.

• 1 month later...

Harald,

Congrats! Now you and Glenda can look forward to choosing your own priorities rather than having emergencies and command duties set them - although I know you'll always care about the Department and your community.

City Manager and I met today. I will be staying until December 26th to assist with transition. At least it s still this year.

City Manager and I met today. I will be staying until December 26th to assist with transition. At least it s still this year.

A good Man you are indeed! Take care of yourself and don't let them talk you into staying beyond December....that is unless you really Want to!

You've EARNED your place of relaxation!

• 2 months later...

Retirement comes up fast so don't blink. It's been two years since I retired and it seems like two weeks ago.

I have been pacing myself counting quarters for over a year now. Each three month period Seems to take a very long time......then all of a sudden the quarter is up. This year has been difficult for me because all my work assignments have been out of town requiring me to live away from home. Work in my home state is slow so I am doing and going where ever my company needs me. This happened in 2009 too !

We got a financial analyst through Schwab. He has a plan that has a history that takes our current cash and investments and returns a comfortable income (because Vegas is cheap to live in) and preserves our base throughout. They feel comfortable witht 6% per year but has delivered over 8% over the past 10 years.

Find an investment counselor. Your pension holder should be able to recommend someone.

I'll be in San Jose in about two weeks again, so dinner would work again :)

Edited by twobjshelbys

We got a financial analyst through Schwab. He has a plan that has a history that takes our current cash and investments and returns a comfortable income (because Vegas is cheap to live in) and preserves our base throughout. They feel comfortable witht 6% per year but has delivered over 8% over the past 10 years.

Find an investment counselor. Your pension holder should be able to recommend someone.

I will take your advice and Tana and I would enjoy having dinner with you when you are back in town.

One of my retirement "jobs" (2 days a month) is sitting on a board of directors for a local credit union. If you're making 6% to 8% you're doing fantastic. Most folks would love to do 4% now days. (LOL)

• 3 months later...