TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Countdown to Retirement

Congratulations, but I didn't know farmers and ranchers could retire? Just kidding, enjoy it, leaves more time for the grandkids too. B)

You are certainly right! The boys are always calling my husband to do something-it helps to live in town as he isn't quite as "accessible". Looking forward to maybe just slowing down a bit-I bought a boat today!

• 2 months later...

December 31, 2013 is my planned date if all goes as expected. Time will tell.

wow - you are just under the 6 month mark. Have you been trending all your monthly spends over the last year ? I plan on trending spends for 18 months to see just where all the $ goes. I have a spread sheet set up and have 2 category's. one is called BASIC, and the other is called JOY. I started this 2 months ago when we became empty nesters. My wife is starting to catch on to what I am trying to do and now she is helping to cut some of her un necessary spends.

Yes, we know exactly what our spending trend is. We owe nobody anything other than a small morgage on one of two homes. We could always sell and owe nothing but we need a tax right-off. Most likely I will do a part time gig. You are doing the right thing.

December 31, 2013 is my planned date if all goes as expected. Time will tell.

Good for you Harald!! You deserve it!!! Wish we were close to that mark ourselves, but it will be longer. It is good idea to know where and how the money goes as you Know,

It makes it easier to know if it is feasable to retire early and how things will go as you said to Grabber. We are Happy for you and Glenda!

Glad to here you have things dialed Harald. I have some time left to see

if I can dial things in too. Being debt free was a must have for us. Now to finish building the savings accounts. It's fun getting ready. No hurry here, just planning and preparing.

Edited by Grabber

Glad to here you have things dialed Harald. I have some time left to see

if I can dial things in too. Being debt free was a must have for us. Now to finish building the savings accounts. It's fun getting ready. No hurry here, just planning and preparing.

Main thing is I can go then and if I stay longer, its all gravy. I will need to file about 90 days out.

Main thing is I can go then and if I stay longer, its all gravy. I will need to file about 90 days out.

what month do they hand out yearly bonuses? Might be worth it to collect that....then go.

• 2 weeks later...

Both my wife and I retired 5 years ago @ age 60 and travel abroad and enjoy life with out pinching penny's. We were lucky cause we never lost our jobs. We both have pensions and don't have to touch our investments. Retirement is great but you have to have a hobby or something. I almost forgot what's it's like to get up and go to work.

wow - you are just under the 6 month mark. Have you been trending all your monthly spends over the last year ? I plan on trending spends for 18 months to see just where all the $ goes. I have a spread sheet set up and have 2 category's. one is called BASIC, and the other is called JOY. I started this 2 months ago when we became empty nesters. My wife is starting to catch on to what I am trying to do and now she is helping to cut some of her un necessary spends.

You are doing exactly what it takes to plan for retirement. If you don't know where you are expense wise you can't get there. With having the house paid off we still need $6000 / per month to enjoy ourselves and pay bills with out pinching pennies or touching our investments. Great job on your planning .With fixed interest rates so low I am glad I have a finacial guy that can guide us on this matter. Zero coupon bonds and stuff like this really helps. Can't put more than 30% in the stock market. Pulled 70% out of the market in 2007 and have been getting around 5% on that money.Forget CD's paying 1.75% for now .For people with only a 401K I don't know what they will need to have in these low interest times. Maybe $2 million who knows.

Edited by mach 1 1970

• 2 months later...

Let me tell you something about planning for retirement. You can track your trends, you can track everything, and whatever you figure you need for an annual amount, ..........it is not enough. If inflation hits again like it did in the 70's it will wipe out your retirement. Don't be in a hurry to retire. If you can retire now then keep working for a few more years and be sure you have enough. Or else. and the alternative is not pretty.

30 Days from Today!!!!!! :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

But seriously, if something comes up I can do part time in our little town I will definitely jump on that Just really glad I don't have to drive lots of miles in the winter like I have done for 20 years. It will mean a change in our lives that's for sure. My husband will be 65 in May and will delay his SS until 66. Then I can take half of his which is a couple hundred dollars more than mine. But he will continue farming as well but maybe slow down a little bit-that remains to be seen!

Edited by verlyn12

Retirement life is great. It's been about 18 months for me now and I'm enjoying it daily. My wife still has about 2 years to go and I feel bad for her so I still get up early and fix her breakfast and walk her to her car each day. If it's raining I carry an umbrella. :wub:

As for me, I sit on a local credit union's board of director's supervisory committee. It's about 3 days a month and no salary but I get an expense account to attend conferences 2 or 3 times a year which is nice. Recently one was in Ashville, NC and another in Monterey, California plus I can take my wife if she wants to go. Also I've became an extra in a TV series being filmed locally as a mid-season replacement on CBS. No speaking parts, just background scenes like sitting in a restaurant when the stars walk by and stuff like that. I had a couple scenes where I was in the hallway talking to a paralegal as the star walked by and another talking to a secretary outside the main characters office. This week they're filming a social ball so I had to be fitted for a tux and will being dancing ballroom style and sitting at tables in some scenes of a two day shoot. The pay is minimum wage plus time and half over eight hours. Plus if you're on set over a meal time, they feed you and it's a nice meal. They also have tables with coffee, soft drinks, water, and goodies set up to snack throughout the day. Pretty cool but you learn to bring a book, laptop, knitting or whatever to do while sitting waiting on your brief scenes.

Retirement can be fun, just stay busy doing things you enjoy. :love_shower::dance:

I retire from the AF with 30 years next year. My ceremony is 24 January 2014.

You're still young, hope you got a good resume, finished your education, and have some good contacts. You're going to find your over qualified for most jobs you apply for. I used to tell my A.F. guys spend your last six months working on your next career. Good luck! :salute:

• 4 weeks later...

48 more working days, then.........long term unemployment while no longer looking for work.....otherwise known as retirement........grinning

Rob, Linda actually retired from teaching on July 1, but is getting ready to do a long term sub for a teacher friend who is about to deliver. Just think, I might actually make it over your way some day....would love to meet up in person.

Edited by KCMO-GT500

• 2 months later...

Today I turned 53. In exactly 1 year I could pull my full pension. I am still saving, running numbers, planning and going on 3 years debt free. The retirement calculators look good but are somewhat hard to verify. So I consider my self in the tracking right on course category. I will continue the course and planning for my dream.....to early retirement.

Edited by Grabber