TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Countdown to Retirement

semiretired
adjective semi·re·tired \-ri-ˈtī(-ə)rd\
Popularity: Bottom 30% of words
Simple Definition of semiretired
  • : working only part-time at a career, job, etc., especially because you have reached the age at which you no longer need or want to work full-time

Maybe someone could change this thread topic to reflect an updated goal ?

" The Countdown to Retirement ".....could be a topic for a future thread........when you decide to retire !

Edited by 1 Alibi 2

Maybe someone could change this thread topic to reflect an updated goal ?

" The Countdown to Retirement ".....could be a topic for a future thread........when you decide to retire !

Well I guess I am still counting down then. I will be working 5 days a month for a spell to ease myself into full retirement.

5 days a month = semi-retired

I have a friend who works 3 days a week, he considers that " part time ".

I would of never of ever thought I would be working 5 days a month when I started this thread. Anyways I am enjoying being semi-retired. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

semiretired
adjective semi·re·tired \-ri-ˈtī(-ə)rd\
Popularity: Bottom 30% of words
Simple Definition of semiretired
  • : working only part-time at a career, job, etc., especially because you have reached the age at which you no longer need or want to work full-time

That's my plan next June when I walk out retire, I plan on working as a contractor for the same company making good money without the hassel of being a supervisor.

Amazing thread started by "Grabber" over six years ago (Thanks Rob). I went back and re-read some of the posts myself and others put up about our up coming retirements. There are many congratulatory, encouraging, and "hang in there" posts from a great group of people. I first posted with two years remaining and now am over four years into retirement.

For those coming up on retirement, start posting and for those lucky ones who have retired, keep encouraging the "youngsters" and letting them know they is life after (and it's great).

I'm not even planning retirement. I'll either be dead first, or the world will end (I guess I'll be dead then too). Either way, not looking good, so I'm gonna enjoy life now and not worry about saving anything for a future that likely ain't coming.

I'm not even planning retirement. I'll either be dead first, or the world will end (I guess I'll be dead then too). Either way, not looking good, so I'm gonna enjoy life now and not worry about saving anything for a future that likely ain't coming.

Doc.....

I'm the ultimate pessimist...believe me! That said, although I happen to feel like you in a lot of ways about the current "world situation", I will add that my Grandfather who passed at 82 yrs young in 1990, always told me that ALL previous generations said the same things.

He lived through the GREAT depression and stood in soup lines and told stories of people jumping out of windows and crying the sky is falling. Yes sir, things suck a$$ right now and I am not confident we are going to get through this one either, but if history repeats itself...again... We will survive it. :cool:

The feeling one gets in semi-retirement is one that I will try to explain. Please note I am only 45 days into it so it is all so fresh and evolving.

This is what I am experiencing:

1. The pressure is off.

2. The deliverables are not due.

3. The stress created by issues at work are gone.

4. Working 5 days a month makes work seem like a fun outing.

5. My wife told me she has noticed a big change in me at home.

6. I feel mellow and kicked back and easy going and reflect that from what people are telling me.

7. Taking time for the little pleasures are now precious and not taken for granted.

8. I often tell my wife "I'm having a great day". She is not used to hearing stuff like that from me.

These are just a few of my thoughts 45 days into this new life of mine.

Thank you Lord :worship:

Doc.....

I'm the ultimate pessimist...believe me! That said, although I happen to feel like you in a lot of ways about the current "world situation", I will add that my Grandfather who passed at 82 yrs young in 1990, always told me that ALL previous generations said the same things.

He lived through the GREAT depression and stood in soup lines and told stories of people jumping out of windows and crying the sky is falling. Yes sir, things suck a$$ right now and I am not confident we are going to get through this one either, but if history repeats itself...again... We will survive it. :cool:

I'm not even a pessimist, I'm a realist. I'm also a hedonist, so I've spoiled myself the last 10 years or so by doing what I want when I want (for the most part). If I decided to give up all the non-essential spending, I could probably save enough in the next 15 years to retire at 70 and have enough to get by with. Unfortunately, I'm happy with my lifestyle now, and since it's pretty much a given that I'm not immortal, I'd rather be happy now, and not worry about 15 years from now that I might not even see. I'd rather have someone dump a few fully loaded Brink's trucks in my backyard, and then I wouldn't have any problems anymore. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just make sure you Die "On The Job" and if at all possible, DON'T fall down..........Pay Stops when you hit the Floor.................... :hysterical2: