TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Countdown to Retirement

Submitted my retirement papers today. December 26, 2014 is my last day. 32 years in the fire service. Will continue to teach for the junior college fire curriculum. A new chapter in the cycle of life will begin.

Awesome Harald.... I never thought I'd see the day (well I still didn't) but as of yesterday I started counting..... I have 32 months to go.... I'm planning on the end of May 2017

Submitted my retirement papers today. December 26, 2014 is my last day. 32 years in the fire service. Will continue to teach for the junior college fire curriculum. A new chapter in the cycle of life will begin.

Good for you my friend!

As I'm mortgaged up to my eyeballs, and the fact that i'm only 52, I've calc'd out that I need to go to 60 before I can retire from the high pay/high stress job, and then I can work for fun (because I want to and not because I have to) in my other field of endeavor

Good that you can teach at the JC level, show those soon to be probbies a thing or two!

Congrats Harald and all the best for the next adventure. :victory:

Right on Harold !! AWESOME !

4 days after your last day...is my 54th B-day. That is the day I can retire and start collecting my pension. 3 more months. Getting so close that It is making me nervous. Been preparing for years by saving and becoming debt free at 49-1/2 years old. Not sure if I am ready. I want to be ready, but it feels very odd !

Right on Harold !! AWESOME !

4 days after your last day...is my 54th B-day. That is the day I can retire and start collecting my pension. 3 more months. Getting so close that It is making me nervous. Been preparing for years by saving and becoming debt free at 49-1/2 years old. Not sure if I am ready. I want to be ready, but it feels very odd !

I believe you'll do great with retirement Rob.............Lots to keep you busy.

Looking into healthcare plans. Bronze, Silver or Gold. Looks like Kaisers website says that if I do not make over 61K a year that govt. assistance of $564 per month is available to offset my costs. My pension is just under that and this encourages me since I am eligible. The Gold plan would be $642 a month for Tana & myself. The Silver plan is $439. The Bronze plan is $189.

Bronze deductable = $5000

Silver deductible = $1750

Gold deductible = $1000

So the total premiums and out of pocket deducible for each is:

bronze: 12*189+5000 = 7268

silver: 12*439+1750 = 7018

gold: 12*642+1000 = 8704

It's all about your perceived exposure to the deductible but it looks like the silver plan has the best annual cost if you use the plan at all.

The KP WA Silver 1750/25%/HSA plan has a $1750 individual combined medical and pharmacy deductible. Most services are subject to the deductible.

Primary office visits are 25% after deductible with the silver plan until I reach the out of pocket amount of $9,500.

The gold plan is only $20 for any visits after I reach the $1000 deductible.

Decisions to take a look at.

When I pull the plug on retirement, I have 10-1/2 months to find a program because I have the max hours in my union hour bank to cover 10-1/2 months.

Also the Union has a program that might be better for me. Their is a retirement seminar sponsored by my union usually put on in January, so I need to go to that and get all the latest information.

Anyone else have one of these plans ? KP WA Bronze 5000/30% HSA
compare plan details
Cost with estimated assistance $184.70 monthly

The KP WA Bronze 5000/30%/HSA plan has a $5000 individual combined medical and pharmacy deductible. Most services are subject to the deductible. Once the deductible is met, generic drugs have a copay. All covered services contribute to the out-of-pocket maximum. Preventive care services, such as routine physical exams and mammogram screenings, are at no charge. This plan can also be paired with an optional tax-advantaged health savings account.

Individual plan annual deductible (subscriber only) $5000 Individual plan out-of-pocket maximum (subscriber only) $6350 Primary care office visit 30% after deductible Available through Washington Healthplanfinder and Kaiser Permanente Direct KP WA Silver 1750/25% HSA
compare plan details
Cost with estimated assistance $435.59 monthly

The KP WA Silver 1750/25%/HSA plan has a $1750 individual combined medical and pharmacy deductible. Most services are subject to the deductible. All covered services contribute to the out-of-pocket maximum. Preventive care services, such as routine physical exams and mammogram screenings, are at no charge. This plan can also be paired with an optional tax-advantaged health savings account.

Individual plan annual deductible (subscriber only) $1750 Individual plan out-of-pocket maximum (subscriber only) $4750 Primary care office visit 25% after deductible Available through Washington Healthplanfinder and Kaiser Permanente Direct
KP WA Gold 1000/20
compare plan details
Cost with estimated assistance $638.34 monthly

The KP WA Gold 1000/20 plan has a $1000 individual medical deductible. While the medical deductible applies mostly to inpatient and outpatient ancillary and surgery services, some services, such as office visits, have copays and are not subject to the deductible. All covered services contribute to the out-of-pocket maximum. Preventive care services, such as routine physical exams and mammogram screenings, are at no charge.

Individual plan annual deductible (subscriber only) $1000 Individual plan out-of-pocket maximum (subscriber only) $4650 Primary care office visit $20 Available through Washington Healthplanfinder and Kaiser Permanente Direct

By far the biggest decision on retirement is the cost of health care insurance and your out of pocket. Some policies have stop loss and some don't. I am lucky, my city allows us to take our coverage with us at $500 deductible and 80/20 along with $20 co pay on doc visits and co-pays on three tiers of drugs. To keep stop loss all major medical must be at a hospital in Arkansas.

It simply boils down to your tolerance for risk. Mine is paid by the City, but when I retire, I pick up $379 for myself and continue to pay $450 for dependent coverage. I have been struggling with the insurance as a major reason to keep working. Give it plenty of thought and good luck.

Regards.... GG

By far the biggest decision on retirement is the cost of health care insurance and your out of pocket. Some policies have stop loss and some don't. I am lucky, my city allows us to take our coverage with us at $500 deductible and 80/20 along with $20 co pay on doc visits and co-pays on three tiers of drugs. To keep stop loss all major medical must be at a hospital in Arkansas.

It simply boils down to your tolerance for risk. Mine is paid by the City, but when I retire, I pick up $379 for myself and continue to pay $450 for dependent coverage. I have been struggling with the insurance as a major reason to keep working. Give it plenty of thought and good luck.

Regards.... GG

That is why I went back to work. I'll reevaluate again when the CO house is sold. But right now payments on one and maintenance on the other plus medical insurance was a negative cash flow.

What scares me about the health care is the fact that obama care is so new and the bugs are not flushed out. I have a feeling that it is going to take another 2 years to see what happens with it. My wife wants me to keep working for a bit to see what happens.

What scares me about the health care is the fact that obama care is so new and the bugs are not flushed out. I have a feeling that it is going to take another 2 years to see what happens with it. My wife wants me to keep working for a bit to see what happens.

Two years? How about two decades?

You and Tana make a great team.

Just read that the health care plan is going to go up very soon:

With the next open enrollment session on November 15, 2014, what's unknown is how many of these new Obamacare users will keep the same plan. Many people we spoke to expressed concern over rising premiums, and according to the Department of Health and Human Services, premiums for the cheapest silver plan, the most popular choice around the country this year, will increase by 8.4 percent on average next year.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone :)

Working here in my home area sure is nice again after being out of town 9 months this year.

I have landed on a long term local Hi Tech. project.

I have the next 10 days off. Going to be spending some time at the company cabin in Sun-river Oregon with family for Thanksgiving. I Just booked a 11 night trip to Hawaii for Mid March. I was able to get the flights for free and the room for free with all my US Air miles and Hilton Honors points.

Bonus pay outs and cost of living raises come out in March. I have pushed my decision making time line to April. Tana asked me if working is preventing me from enjoying the things I like to do. Well...besides sleeping in, I could not give here a good answer.

Looking at my paid days off next year and planning on spreading them out looks very attractive.

5 roll over vacation days
25 vacation days
10 holidays
2 personal days
5 sick days
3 bereavement days

Hopefully the last 3 days are not in the mix to be used, but the other 47 paid days off are a huge incentive and make it easier to stay working a bit longer.

When I retire, this is what goes bye bye:
1. Healthcare
2. Company vehicle with gas, insurance and maintenance
3. I-phone, I-pad and lap top
4. Bonus's
5. COL increases
6. Company house and condo use
7. Six figure Salary
8. Monthly Pension amount increases every 3 months

I never thought it would be this hard to pull the plug. I'm not ready !

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/to?month=12&day=30&year=2014&hour=&min=&sec=&p0=234

Edited by Grabber

Looks to me like all of you are correct in looking at health care costs and more, before retirement... .I am fortunate to have health care and now that I am older (Medicare age) I have Medicare and my health care..

Certainly look at your expenses now and what they will be when you retire. maybe you can choose to work part time or in an area that you want to work in, as already mentioned.

I've been retired for several years now and staying healthy is a priority for sure...

Maybe I should say tired and not retired. So busy I am tired.. Tired yesterday and tired today. so I'll probably be tired tomorrow.

Seriously look at income and expenses and go from there. Retirement is great and super nice if you are able to plan ahead and anticipate some of the issues...

Hi everyone :)

Working here in my home area sure is nice again after being out of town 9 months this year.

I have landed on a long term local Hi Tech. project.

I have the next 10 days off. Going to be spending some time at the company cabin in Sun-river Oregon with family for Thanksgiving. I Just booked a 11 night trip to Hawaii for Mid March. I was able to get the flights for free and the room for free with all my US Air miles and Hilton Honors points.

Bonus pay outs and cost of living raises come out in March. I have pushed my decision making time line to April. Tana asked me if working is preventing me from enjoying the things I like to do. Well...besides sleeping in, I could not give here a good answer.

Looking at my paid days off next year and planning on spreading them out looks very attractive.

5 roll over vacation days

25 vacation days

10 holidays

2 personal days

5 sick days

3 bereavement days

Hopefully the last 3 days are not in the mix to be used, but the other 47 paid days off are a huge incentive and make it easier to stay working a bit longer.

When I retire, this is what goes bye bye:

1. Healthcare

2. Company vehicle with gas, insurance and maintenance

3. I-phone, I-pad and lap top

4. Bonus's

5. COL increases

6. Company house and condo use

7. Six figure Salary

8. Monthly Pension amount increases every 3 months

I never thought it would be this hard to pull the plug. I'm not ready !

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/to?month=12&day=30&year=2014&hour=&min=&sec=&p0=234

If you are not ready, then don't do it.

I'm going to work on building some more savings and keep having fun while I do it. :rob_grabber:

Just remember there is life after the job! Had a relative get a blood test and next he was under the knife getting cancer removed. I'll let you know how this thing retirement goes. Less than 30 days.

Just remember there is life after the job! Had a relative get a blood test and next he was under the knife getting cancer removed. I'll let you know how this thing retirement goes. Less than 30 days.

Your last day is 12/26 ? If you don't mind me asking, how old are you ? over 55 ?

Edited by Grabber

This could be the best Christmas present you ever got......yourself !!

Hi Guys. After my meeting with the bank and accountant, I can retire at age 67. Dec 1, 2027. :doh:

I am eligible to early retire from the University Dec 1, 2015 with benefits, 15% copay on Prescription medicine and Dental and life insurance.

Only problem is I am in debt. It will take at least 13 years to get debt free, unless I meet someone, being single can be expensive.

Hi Guys. After my meeting with the bank and accountant, I can retire at age 67. Dec 1, 2027. :doh:

I am eligible to early retire from the University Dec 1, 2015 with benefits, 15% copay on Prescription medicine and Dental and life insurance.

Only problem is I am in debt. It will take at least 13 years to get debt free, unless I meet someone, being single can be expensive.

Ken, Do you enjoy working at the University? Is working preventing you from doing the things you enjoy? I had to ask myself those 2 questions. I am fortunate to enjoy my work and it still allows me to enjoy the fun things in my life. However, I would like to take a couple months off to drive my Shelby to events across the US.