TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Waxing/Detailing the Terlingua?

VorpalBunny

Hi All,

Going to post this several places and hope for lots of advice/help.

I am going to wax/thorughly wash/ and detail the Terlingua for spring shortly.

Here are my questions/thoughts:

1) I know to use and have ordered a very high quality carnuba wax - but what about all the graphics, the manufacturers stickers, the stripe? Advice about these wax do not wax etx

2) I have ordered a sealant and other products as well - thoughts?

3) I have a high end polish that is supposedly very good before waxing (very safe the product claims and good for swirls etc) - thoughts? Not on the stickers stripe?

4) The giant Lucifer on the fiberglass yellow hood - wax??? I am not sure what material this is made of.

Advice?

Thanks,

VB

wax = everything.

polish = paint only.

sealant= dunno sounds iffy

I agree with this, however, the wax tends to build up along the edges of my stripes if I'm not careful. With all those decals, I'd be very cautious with wax around them to avoid filling every crevice with impossible to remove white sludge. Good luck.

Ken

I agree with this, however, the wax tends to build up along the edges of my stripes if I'm not careful. With all those decals, I'd be very cautious with wax around them to avoid filling every crevice with impossible to remove white sludge. Good luck.

Ken

Hi Ken,

Thanks you and everyone who has replied are reading my thoughts well and I appreciate you each taking the time to respond.

I want the stripes, stickers etc protected, but free from wax buildup along the edges. I have not had direct experience before with stripes and other materials such as the big Lucifer and just want to get it done in the best way I can.

I am listening to everyone who responds.

David

Hi David...good question...

When I picked up my Terlingua from SAI, I asked the same question. I was told to wax everything except the flat black stripe. I use a professional grade carnauba wax on the paint and the decals including the hood bunny. I take care of any edge wax with a soft detail brush, but have only had to do this a few times. Most of the time any edge buildup comes off with the micro towel or a soft leather chamois. The center stripe is protected with detail spray as SAI instructed. So far, so good. Oh, and no polish on the decals or stripe. So, that's how I'm doing it. Everyone takes detailing a car a bit differently, but I do believe the decals need good UV protection and a good carnauba does an excellent job of doing this. In addition, the paint in and around the decals need protection as well.

I like this topic just to see how everyone is doing this. I do hope any expert professional detailers jump in with their ideas as well.

Thanks for the post....

Hey Leann,

Thanks it is good to hear from another bunny owner! I had Quantum do mine last time so this is my big chance!

Interesting about the stripe - do you think that is because it is flat black? Mine is the gloss yellow and looks like it would benefit from the carnuba?

Sure appreciate the response,

David

Hey Leann,

Thanks it is good to hear from another bunny owner! I had Quantum do mine last time so this is my big chance!

Interesting about the stripe - do you think that is because it is flat black? Mine is the gloss yellow and looks like it would benefit from the carnuba?

Sure appreciate the response,

David

Yes, it was because of the flat black....but, I've had others tell me it's ok to wax flat black....sooooo....I'll stick with what SAI told me, and it looks good just using a detail spray

Yes, it was because of the flat black....but, I've had others tell me it's ok to wax flat black....sooooo....I'll stick with what SAI told me, and it looks good just using a detail spray

Hey Leann,

Sounds like good advice.

The bunny on the yellow hood is flat black soo I am wodering about it - detail spray I am thinking. Is your hood bunny the glossy?

VB

Hey Leann,

Sounds like good advice.

The bunny on the yellow hood is flat black soo I am wodering about it - detail spray I am thinking. Is your hood bunny the glossy?

VB

Yes, the hood bunny is gloss yellow :happy feet:

David, I'm following the guidance I got for my old Saleen, which also had some flat black graphics/decals.

Auto glass cleaner for clean-up and a quick detailer for protection of the decals/stripes/hood-trunk black outs.

David, I'm following the guidance I got for my old Saleen, which also had some flat black graphics/decals.

Auto glass cleaner for clean-up and a quick detailer for protection of the decals/stripes/hood-trunk black outs.

Blip,

Thanks.

David

Here is some of the results you all might wish to read:

I am getting allot of good advice thanks all. I am hearing most often to use non abrasuive polish on the paint along with the high end carnbuba wax. I also have a sealant for same.

I am hearing use the high end carnuba on the graphics and stickers to protect them, soft detail brush and micro towels for wax removal, I also have a micro fiber wax apllicator.

I am hearing use detail spray for the flat black lucifer. Wax for a gloss ones as some are.

Detail spray and or car soap for wheels with soft towels/micro fiber.

I am still seeking some more advice - not doubting anyone, just hearing from everuyone I can on this topic.

I will post if I hear more that is new and how it goes when I get it done.

Thanks,

VB

Hey David and all Terlingua fans.....

As you know, I had my Terlingua in Alex's (Vapor08GT500) shop for some work. Before he gave it back to me, he had the car detailed. WOW! His detailer used a product called Zaino. The paint looks and feels like glass! I've never seen paint look so good. I wasn't there when it was done, so I don't know if he put it over the decals, but it looks like it is not on the flat black stripes.

Here is the web site for the Zaino http://www.zainostore.com/

I am switching to this product! It looks amazing :happy feet:

Hey David and all Terlingua fans.....

As you know, I had my Terlingua in Alex's (Vapor08GT500) shop for some work. Before he gave it back to me, he had the car detailed. WOW! His detailer used a product called Zaino. The paint looks and feels like glass! I've never seen paint look so good. I wasn't there when it was done, so I don't know if he put it over the decals, but it looks like it is not on the flat black stripes.

Here is the web site for the Zaino http://www.zainostore.com/

I am switching to this product! It looks amazing :happy feet:

My detailer clayed the whole car then Zainoed the whole car, including the flat back stripes. I have used the products for year on flat black strips on older Bosses, Mach 1's and newer Super Snakes with no issues. great products!! Leann's Bunny looks wet when it is dry!!

Alex

My detailer clayed the whole car then Zainoed the whole car, including the flat back stripes. I have used the products for year on flat black strips on older Bosses, Mach 1's and newer Super Snakes with no issues. great products!! Leann's Bunny looks wet when it is dry!!

Alex

and no wax residue that I can see at all! I love it! :happy feet:

I replied to the email. Thank you.

Hi All,

I will add Steve has been extremely helpful, knowledgeable and giving of his time. :superhero:

Check out his web address:

http://www.showcardetail.com/

I ordered his high temp wheel sealant and a micro fiber applicator.

Thank you Steve,

David

Archived