TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford SVT Shifter/TSB/Warranty Questions

CarolinaGT500

New member here so let me start by thanking everyone for the great information that is posted.

I bought a 2007 GT500 (white/blue stripes) last year from a local Ford dealer. The original owner

bought the car new in October 2006, paid $63,800 for it, garaged it for three years, and drove it 4,000 miles. The paint, interior, engine compartment and undersides of the car are perfect. The car listed for $43,00 when it was first put in the dealer’s used car showroom but I was able to pick it up for $36,300. I also purchased the Ford Premium Care Extended Service Protection plan which covers the car for 3 years/36,000 miles. Since I put less than 100 miles per month on the car, I don’t think I will ever run out on the mileage.

I want to keep any modifications as simple as possible and easily reversible. I replaced the original floor mats with a 3 piece Shelby set and installed a pair of Ford Racing KR mufflers. I’ve read all of the posts on the flywheel/clutch/transmission TSBs but fortunately I have not experienced any of the symptoms yet and hopefully never will. The original owner really babied his cars so I don’t think it was abused in any way. I do realize that the stock shifter could be improved. I had the chance to drive a friend’s Shelby GT this weekend was impressed with how that car shifted. The throws were much shorter, firmer and easier to find than on my GT500. I know it’s a completely different transmission but the aftermarket shifter in the GT was such an improvement. So, I’m considering changing out the stock shifter with the Ford Racing SVT shifter assembly (M-7210) but have a few concerns.

Is it true that the flywheel/clutch TSB only applies to the original new car warranty, i.e., if I have the problem, it won’t be fixed on my car since the original 3/36 warranty has expired even though I have the Ford extended warranty?

My biggest concern is that if I put in the Ford Racing SVT shifter (will have dealer install) and later the car eventually experiences the dreaded flywheel/clutch/trans problem, that the dealer might claim the aftermarket shifter caused the problem...at least the transmission part of the problem.

I would appreciate any insight or comments you might have. I would definitely like to do something to improve the shifting without opening myself up to having to pay for transmission repairs in the future.

Thanks

First Welcome....And it sounds like you got a great deal on a great car, can't wait to see pics of her. (Get your photobucket account up and going!)

The best thing to do is get to know your dealership well, that goes a long way in what they will do, and won't do. I had a dealership down the street from me that wanted to bill me $540 just to examine my GT500, and it only had 13k on it and was 2 years old. I told them of the TSB and they refused to do it, saying it was beyond 12/12...I called the dealership I bought the car from back in 06 and they offered to immediately send a trailer for it. I drove it the 115 miles up there and they treated me like royality, even parking the car in a private secure single stall garage reserved for their Ford GT maintenence. So knowing your dealer and becoming friends with the service manager goes a long way.

In saying that, I know some guys have had not only shifters, but CAI and tunes that have had the TSB work done with no problems. When mine went it, it had the tune and CAI with a FRPP KR shifter in it and no problems.

If you want to be sure and don't mind spending a couple extra bucks, buy it through your dealership and have them install it. I know for sure, any FRPP part purchased and installed at your dealership carries and is backed by the Ford Warranty.

I would really look into the flywheel TSB and at least discuss with them your options...my car had no symptoms one day, and in 2 weeks the clutch was slipping terribly. They ended up replacing the entire tranny, flywheel and clutch assy because of it. That was right at $10K...I'd hate for you to go throught that.

It also might be a good idea to contact a Ford Rep and discuss it with him as well. Back early on when mine was discovered my dealership immediately called a Ford Rep and told him the TSB repair did not fix the problem, the rep immediately had a new tranny and assy on a flat bed headed this way, then flew out the next day to oversee it and make sure I was happy. I couldn't be happier about the way Ford has treated me as well as my dealership. And I would buy any car they had to sell. Period.

Dont bother, the Ford Racing shifter for the gt500 does not give you the same feel or as big a difference like on the Shelby GT vs regular GT mustang

Actually, I belive the ford racing o kr shifter is just the stock shifter turned around with stiffer bushings

It is nice but IMO not worth the $ or hassle

The ford racing shifter is certianly worth the price and work. You will notice a big difference and enjoy the car much more. I have it in mine and love it.

It's a Ford product and will not affect your warranty. That's what my dealer told me when they put it in.

All,

Thanks for your comments. The next time I am near the local Ford dealer (25+ miles), I will stop and talk with the service manager. If he/she confirms that the SVT shifter will not compromise my Premium Care warranty, will buy from them and have them install. Plan on letting the dealer do the 5,000 mile service so could have the shifter installed then. Will take a copy of the most current TSB to show them so they will be aware (if not already) that there is a chance for flywheel/clutch/trans problems in the future.

Dont bother, the Ford Racing shifter for the gt500 does not give you the same feel or as big a difference like on the Shelby GT vs regular GT mustang

Actually, I belive the ford racing o kr shifter is just the stock shifter turned around with stiffer bushings

It is nice but IMO not worth the $ or hassle

The Ford Racing shifter is identical to the stock shifter except it has a longer shift arm which allows for shorter shifts.

Archived