TEAM SHELBY FORUM

KR/SS Top Speed?

JADEDaddy73

Hey Guys. I know this is a silly question because some of these numbers are published online but each place I check seems to have a different set of numbers. If I am correct, the original tunes on the KR and the SS are restricted to 150mph when they are released from Shelby. Is there a way to tell what the top speeds of both vehicles would be when the tunes are replaced with unrestricted tunes. For the record I would prefer to know what the top speed of an unmodded but unrestricted KR would be and also what an unrestricted 725HP SS would be.

To further elaborate, the reason I am asking is because I had cabin fever from the snowstorms on the east coast. I haven't had my car out since the last storm 2 weeks ago. For those of you who have followed my KR's progression, I have had a lot of work done on the engine and I recently got some new Alcoa's, Nitto Drag's and the Baer Extreme plus brakes. Today was the first day I actually got to REALLY drive the car since doing those mods. As a side note if it helps the answers at all my car is DYNO'd at 661RWHP currently.

Jersey highway on a late sunday afternoon is a pretty open drive so I got the KR up to about 135 before I lost my nerve. Now having said that , I feel like I still had "maybe" 20-30 mph more in the tank. I was 3/4 into 6th gear but I just couldn't bring myself to push it any further, the ride was getting a bit unstable. Now I am not a pro and I don't see these speeds often if ever, so is the bumpy rough ride above 130mph normal, and can the car keep pushing safely through that speed? I know that is a silly question since any speed that high is inherently unsafe, but I am more interested in the integrity of the vehicle. What can the car handle safely?

Thanks for any input!

I had my GT500 up to 150 and felt solid and stable, at the time car had steeda comp springs

Now it has eibach SS package and should be better

Thanks. I feel like I may have overstated the stability issue. I think my problem is more inexperience at those high speeds so I was looking for reassurance. The car felt very solid on the ground, but just kind of rough against the cabin, almost more of an aerodynamic issue. Like it was pushing through the air rather than slicing through it , if that makes any sense. Anyway it just made me uneasy because I don't experience those speeds often. So do you happen to have any idea as to the actual top speed capabilities of the KR or the 725 SS?

...Like it was pushing through the air rather than slicing through it , if that makes any sense....

They do push lots of air. As cool as they look, our Mustangs are still shaped like bricks. I've only had the KR to about 120 so far; been faster in my Bullitt (4.6L), which I've had to 130 or so. The Bullitt felt a little nervous at that speed, but not really unstable. The hood was dancing around there though (no pins), so I gently eased back down.

They do push lots of air. As cool as they look, our Mustangs are still shaped like bricks. I've only had the KR to about 120 so far; been faster in my Bullitt (4.6L), which I've had to 130 or so. The Bullitt felt a little nervous at that speed, but not really unstable. The hood was dancing around there though (no pins), so I gently eased back down.

You hit it. I felt like the hood wanted to fly off. I know it was secure because the pins have it clamped down but it sure did do the shimmy you mentioned which is what made me nervous. Any idea on the top speed ratings/estimates? I'd like an idea of when I'm really pushing the line!

Yeah, I have had my regular GT500 at 160 with the top down....A little loud and got some strange noises at that speed, but those might have been from the two passengers I had on board... :hysterical:

I have since upgraded to the SS Eibach suspension and added the hidden hood latch system which basically uses pins that are clamped under the hood instead of over it and use the same linkage as the stock hood latch for release.

With no limiter, I expect top speed on my vert to be about 175ish, but I dont think I have the balls to find out, although I will have an opportunity on a closed road to push it as far as I want later this year.

I once had my KR up to 137 on a long, straight, flat, empty stretch of Interstate. It felt as smooth as glass. The tach still had plenty of room before the redline. My understanding is that Shelby has the KR electronically limited to 160(?) only due to the ratings on the tires.

BTW, at 137, I was getting really close to soiling myself.

I've gotten my GT500 convertible to a GPS indicated 156mph when the computer stopped all acceleration. I did it three times to confirm what was going on. That was in 5th gear at around 5200rpm. Car felt great, ride was harsh, but stable. Didn't take eyes off road long enough to read speedometer. The last attempt that day I went to 6th when I reached the limiter and the car started slowing down.

I would hope that a KR or SS would have a much higher limit. In fact, I was thinking maybe the convertibles were limited lower than the coupes.

I had my GT CalSpl up to 145mph. Don't know if it had much more to go. It seemed to take a long time to get to that speed, unlike the GT500. :shift:

I had my stock '08 GT-500 up to 150mph once. The car felt solid but the hood started to dance a bit so...I eased it back down to normal speeds. The "limited" cut off as I know it is 155mph. I would assume it's the same for the KR.

As for the KR, I only have a tick over 400 miles on the clock so, no high speed passes.

110-120mph is the norm for me when doing 1/4 jaunts. That would be the top of 4th gear in my '08 GT-500. The KR has to go into 5th gear to do that. I'll probably bring the KR to the top of 4th gear and back off after that so, slower speeds for it. I never liked the idea of maintaining a speed like that. For me, it's bring it up quickly, then call it off. There's no need for me to reach and maintain those kinds of speeds.

So it seems that everyone is in agreement that that 150-165 is a pretty attainable and "structurally safe" speed in the KR. I really do appreciate the input. I just want to know that that what I am feeling at those speeds is normal and it sounds like my inexperience is what was concerning me more than the car. Thanks again to everyone. I'll report in again once I get to 165 now that I feel better about trying it!! happy%20feet.gif

P.S. Someone mentioned low mileage for a reason to keep the car low on the speed. My car has 800 miles on it. 400 were after the TVS upgrade. Is there a limiter on the TVS supercharger like on the stock blower up to 500 miles? I know that the stock blower was supposed to increase boost levels after the 500 mile mark but my understanding was with the upgraded blower and tune I didn't need to worry about that. Am I overdoing it too early. I have only exceeded 125 maybe 2 times since the upgrade? Any comments?

P.S. Someone mentioned low mileage for a reason to keep the car low on the speed. My car has 800 miles on it. 400 were after the TVS upgrade. Is there a limiter on the TVS supercharger like on the stock blower up to 500 miles? I know that the stock blower was supposed to increase boost levels after the 500 mile mark but my understanding was with the upgraded blower and tune I didn't need to worry about that. Am I overdoing it too early. I have only exceeded 125 maybe 2 times since the upgrade? Any comments?

I "try" to conservatively drive the car for the first 1000 miles or so. That's not to say I pussy foot it but, I try to keep the revs below 5k. I heard it's good to "get" boost during the break-in period because it helps seat the piston rings. I'm not a mechanical engineer so, I don't know for sure. After my 1st oil change at 1000 miles, then I get on it a bit more.

After the 2nd oil change (at 2500 - 3k miles) i'll mod and drive it without any real worries. That's just me though.

I've only taken the KR to 120, I just went over 1,000 miles, but i took my 07 GT500 up to the speed limiter which was 155 mph. :superhero: I was surprised i had reached that speed. All was smooth! I wouldn't have gone that fast but some crazy guy in a BMW M3 blew by me at speed. So, I had to juice the Shelby and catch him and of course pass his _ss. At the next traffic light we both gave each other a thumbs up.

I would only test the limits of these cars on a closed course.

Public roads are not the place. :fool: The bad ramifications and potential is/are staggering.

I concur but, you had to see where I was when I did the 150mph run. There were 3 lanes, no traffic at all, road was straight, and there was water on both sides. If I were to crash, perhaps parts of the car would fly over the guard rail and into the drink. The rest would be scattered along the road. I was only a danger to myself, no one else.

The GT500's top out at 156mph which (as stated) is regulated by the tune. You can change that though, however, I haven't a clue about what the top speed would be if you don't have a governor. :shrug:

I had the GT500 up to 156 twice and it seemed okay... the hood likes to flutter like everyone said, which made me nervous. Other than that, if you have a straight line and a level road then it's good - just don't take a corner! :hysterical:

It's really kind of a neat experience too to feel the ass end of the car sit down as you pick up speed and the spoiler goes to work. :yup:

You know, I really would think twice before posting on here about doing 150mph+ on public roads, for several reasons:

- There are probably many young or inexperienced drivers who will read this, and take away the idea not only that it is OK to do this, but that they really *should* go and do this - and those drivers may put themselves and others at extreme dangers!

- If you are ever involved in an accident and wind up in court, and someone finds these posts - you are going to have a hard time convincing the court that you are a meek and mild, law-abiding driver.

A friend of a friend was killed by streetracers a few months back. She was in her early 20s, and had nothing to do with the racers - just minding her business, driving along the road. The problem is that once people start getting in that mindset, the adrenaline grabs them, and they quickly start to drive beyond their limits. There are plenty of open track and drag race tracks around the place - *that* is where you should be doing this sort of thing. Maybe you can handle these kind of speeds, but the guy that sees you and then tries to keep up may not.

Chris.

You know, I really would think twice before posting on here about doing 150mph+ on public roads, for several reasons:

- There are probably many young or inexperienced drivers who will read this, and take away the idea not only that it is OK to do this, but that they really *should* go and do this - and those drivers may put themselves and others at extreme dangers!

- If you are ever involved in an accident and wind up in court, and someone finds these posts - you are going to have a hard time convincing the court that you are a meek and mild, law-abiding driver.

A friend of a friend was killed by streetracers a few months back. She was in her early 20s, and had nothing to do with the racers - just minding her business, driving along the road. The problem is that once people start getting in that mindset, the adrenaline grabs them, and they quickly start to drive beyond their limits. There are plenty of open track and drag race tracks around the place - *that* is where you should be doing this sort of thing. Maybe you can handle these kind of speeds, but the guy that sees you and then tries to keep up may not.

Chris.

Hey Chris,

You are correct. I am sure others feel the same way you do as well. I am very sorry you lost your friend. I can completely understand your concerns with this and appreciate your post. I realized that it may not have been the most responsible behavior but for what it's worth I did try to test it out on an isolated and very open stretch of road at the time. Please remember while it may sound as if I (I can't speak for the group), was blazing down the public roads like a menace, this whole incident took about 10-15 seconds and then I was back to my normal Sunday driver's pace under the speed limit. I am aware that 10-15 seconds is still more than enough time to get hurt or to hurt someone else so I will certainly remember and respect your post the next time I am out in my car. You are correct, there are legal and appropriate places to push the limits and that is where I will will try to "test" my and my car's limits next time. Again I am very sorry for your loss.

Dino, think of it this way. Even if you are on a remote road with no one around there are factors on public roads that you can't control. One simple example. Deer make a terrible hood ornament espeically at 150mph. You[re dead, the deer is dead ( and it was your fault) and your family is left without you. Selfish on your part.

These cars have tremendous power and a very high performance envelope even stock. The limits of these cars if tested should be confined to a closed course.

Thunderbolt Raceway and English Town Raceway are not far away and a much better and safer and legal venue to test the limits of these cars

Good advice. People will either agree or find excuses to disregard this advice at their peril and the peril of others and innocent deer and other wildlife.

I'm done preaching. Just some advice.

Where I've gone zoom on public roads the few times that I have, was on long straight stretches with no one around, in a desert area with no hiding spots for law enforcement, and visibility for at least a mile. While I'm not saying it was completely safe, no one else was around to get hurt... Not even wildlife (except maybe a rattler or two). I surely wouldn't try going fast around any populated areas.

Dino, think of it this way. Even if you are on a remote road with no one around there are factors on public roads that you can't control. One simple example. Deer make a terrible hood ornament espeically at 150mph. You[re dead, the deer is dead ( and it was your fault) and your family is left without you. Selfish on your part.

These cars have tremendous power and a very high performance envelope even stock. The limits of these cars if tested should be confined to a closed course.

Thunderbolt Raceway and English Town Raceway are not far away and a much better and safer and legal venue to test the limits of these cars

Good advice. People will either agree or find excuses to disregard this advice at their peril and the peril of others and innocent deer and other wildlife.

I'm done preaching. Just some advice.

Well and good ; But I have seen both deer and rabbits on the race track, this is not a perfect world and not every body can be perfect. :salute:

Well thats fine but I bet deer sightings on race tracks are far less common then back isolated public roads.

Like I said, I'm done preaching. Those that want to "test" the limits of these cars on the street will find endless excuses as to why its OK. Everythings great right up to the point where something happens then you wish you never did it.

Good advice was posted. You can lead a horse to water but......

Ok, let me interject here for a second.

The funny thing about car forums is.....it's a balance. We all know it's wrong to speed, race, do burnouts.....etc. The reality of it is, the majority of us do that stuff anyway. I find it hard to believe not a single person in this thread has not broken any VTL's in their car. (I think I broke a VLT this morning as I rolled through the corner stop sign.....I know I did not completely stop the car. )Yes, the proper place to do that sort of stuff is on a track. If done on a public road, it is frowned upon if it's talked about it on a public forum (just like scratching your balls....it shouldn't be done in public). Take a look at the many threads and you'll see talk of races, jaunts, wheel hop, spinning tires in 3rd gear...etc. Google "Shelby GT-500" and watch the endless street racing videos.

The thing about being an adult is this. We all take risks in life but, as mature adults, we try to minimize the risks. Take myself for example. When driving through a neighborhood, i'll drive at a snails pace until I get out on an open road. There's a stretch of hwy close to me that is about a mile and a half with nothing but a straight with some trees. If there are no cars around AND i'm in the mood, I may do a nice 1/4 mile sprint and take it to the top of 4th gear. If an animal comes in the road, it may get hit...that's the risk i'm willing to take. Would I take that risk if other cars were around, or near a school crossing? Nope, absolutely not.

For those that say doing that stuff on a public road is wrong, my answer to you is: "You're 100% right." but, I sometimes do the "wrong thing." I take into account the risks involved at that particular time. I'm finding as I get older, the risks are more and my behavior is changing to reflect that. I no longer jump ramps with a BMX bike...the risks are not worth it to me.

If you're going to exceed the speed limit (whether it's by 10mph, or 100mph) just take into account the risks at that time and try to limit the risks to yourself. That's why I elected to do my high speed pass on an open 3 lane bridge where I, and only I would suffer due to a crash.

A note to ponder......don't throw stones if you live in a glass house and don't call the kettle black.

Reminds me of one time a couple of years ago, I pullied a guys GT500 at my house and after I finished he went to "test" it out. I thought he would have the respect to wait until he was out of my neiborhood, but he didn't and raced his car through my subdivision where small kids live, I couldn't beleive what I saw, I only live a few blocks from a nice open road. When he got back I asked him what the F were you thinking. That is the last time I will work on some Jack azz's car at my house. People do some stupid stuff for sure.

Ok, let me interject here for a second.

The funny thing about car forums is.....it's a balance. We all know it's wrong to speed, race, do burnouts.....etc. The reality of it is, the majority of us do that stuff anyway. I find it hard to believe not a single person in this thread has not broken any VTL's in their car. (I think I broke a VLT this morning as I rolled through the corner stop sign.....I know I did not completely stop the car. )Yes, the proper place to do that sort of stuff is on a track. If done on a public road, it is frowned upon if talked about it on a public forum (just like scratching your balls....it shouldn't be done in public). Take a look at the many threads and you'll see talk of races, jaunts, wheel hop, spinning tires in 3rd gear...etc. Google "Shelby GT-500" and watch the endless street racing videos.

The thing about being an adult is this. We all take risks in life but, as mature adults, we try to minimize the risk. Take myself for example. When driving through a neighborhood, i'll drive at a snails pace until I get out on an open road. There's a stretch of hwy close to me that is about a mile and a half with nothing but a straight with some trees. If there are no cars around AND i'm in the mood, I may do a nice 1/4 mile sprint and take it to the top of 4th gear. If an animal comes in the road, it's going to get hit...that's the risk i'm willing to take. Would I take that risk if other cars were around, or near a school crossing road? Nope, absolutely not.

For those that say doing that stuff on a public road is wrong, my answer to you is "You're 100% right" but, I sometimes do the "wrong" thing." I take into account the risks involved at that particular time. I'm finding as I get older, the risks are more and my behavior is changing to reflect that. I no longer jump ramps with a BMX bike...the risks are not worth it to me.

If you're going to exceed the speed limit (whether it's by 10mph, or 100mph) just take into account the risks at that time and try to limit them to yourself. That's why I elected to do my high speed pass on an open 3 lane bridge where I, and only I would suffer due to a crash.

A note to ponder......don't throw stones if you live in a glass house and don't call the kettle black.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

I agree, good post Joe! And you know the stretch of road I was on when I ran the BMW. It was bout a 3 mile stretch with no intersections and no cars in the way! I rarely go up to speed like that, but I must admit, it was really cool testing out what the GT500 could do and to blow away a much more expensive beemer..

• 4 weeks later...

Just in case you guys ever want to drive a Shelby so fast you want on a normal street and also legal, you are really welcome to visit me in Germany.

And if somebody from the Goverment is reading this and want to make the driving here in the States safer then stop putting the speed limit lower every time because this will not help. Have see people here in the US having with 25mph so bad crash that it looks like they was driving with 150mph. Start sending people to driving school like we have in Germany. I have pay over 3K for my driver license and I had to learn driving 2 months long so that I can handle a car with every speed limit safely in every situation.

Just in case you guys ever want to drive a Shelby so fast you want on a normal street and also legal, you are really welcome to visit me in Germany.

And if somebody from the Goverment is reading this and want to make the driving here in the States safer then stop putting the speed limit lower every time because this will not help. Have see people here in the US having with 25mph so bad crash that it looks like they was driving with 150mph. Start sending people to driving school like we have in Germany. I have pay over 3K for my driver license and I had to learn driving 2 months long so that I can handle a car with every speed limit safely in every situation.

Driving the Autobahn.......................oh man would that be a great Team Shelby event.

:rockon:

Archived