TEAM SHELBY FORUM

A couple of questions

jzmustang

Hi everyone,

I had two questions. The first is about the stripes on the GT 500. I noticed that my car's hood strips are starting to come loose around the hood vents. Is this a common problem? Is this covered by Ford as a warranty issue?

Secondly, what benefit would I get from purchasing an extended service plan for my car? I don't have many miles on my car (224) and have not experienced any issues, including problems with the clutch/flywheel which appears to be common for the 2007-2009 GT 500's. My powertrain warranty is 5 years/60,000 miles. The 72 month ESP plans I have been looking at only add 12 months and no miles to my present warranty. Because of this, should I even bother looking at the ESP?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

If your Car still has the Bumper to Bumper warranty, yes, the Stripes are covered. As far as the extended Warranty goes, How much do you plan to drive your Car? It is a gamble either way, if you get it, nothing may ever happen and if you dont, something big could happen right after the factory Warranty ends. You should drive the Car though, Cars that sit alot tend to have problems later on.

Not sure about the stripes on the GT500, but as far as the Extended warranty goes I never go for those, they have the highest mark-up of any add on for a reason, that is why the dealers push them so much.

If your Car still has the Bumper to Bumper warranty, yes, the Stripes are covered. As far as the extended Warranty goes, How much do you plan to drive your Car? It is a gamble either way, if you get it, nothing may ever happen and if you dont, something big could happen right after the factory Warranty ends. You should drive the Car though, Cars that sit alot tend to have problems later on.

Both are correct! However some dealers will be very fair especially on this type of car and will work on a cost plus basis. Offer them $200.00 over and sign up. You should drive that thing a little more, your post didn't say what year GT500 you have. Unlike some of our friends here who would not buy the ESP I wouldn't go without. Keep in mind you are technically buying an insurance policy. The Company is banking on nothing big going on and your banking on if it does your not out of thousands. If you are not your own mechanic things can get expensive outside of factory warranty. I bought a 6/36 mile policy on mine. Very reasoable cost because of the lower mileage, like you I don't drive allot but more than you. Yes that is one year past the factory 5/60 but the factory 5/60 doesn't cover electrical, A/C etc. Strictly engine, trans and diff. Do you have nav? Do you know how many computers and managment systems controls your car has? Just some things to think about from a different perspective. :headscratch:

I doubt Shelby will cover it. Brand new 2010, one of my stripes was wrinkled at the hood vent, both are off 1/16th of an inch on the rear spoiler, I have a back water lap seam on the front bumber & is off at both seam areas by 1mm. My dealership tried to get Shelby to cover it under warranty and they told my dealer "Those are Satisfactory Details from Manufacturing." Now it's my 1st Ford car to own, but come on that's pitiful coming from a $50k+ car purchase.

I did get extended warranty for 7 years Bumper to Bumper for 400.00

Cheap insurance

Sarge

WOW, is that a True "Bumper to Bumper" Warranty is is that just the "Power Train" Warranty. Either way, thats a great deal.

I doubt Shelby will cover it. Brand new 2010, one of my stripes was wrinkled at the hood vent, both are off 1/16th of an inch on the rear spoiler, I have a back water lap seam on the front bumber & is off at both seam areas by 1mm. My dealership tried to get Shelby to cover it under warranty and they told my dealer "Those are Satisfactory Details from Manufacturing." Now it's my 1st Ford car to own, but come on that's pitiful coming from a $50k+ car purchase.

Shelby didnt stripe your car, Ford did, unless you have a Super Snake.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2008 Barrett Jackson GT Shelby, Just had the stipes and hood scoop replaced in Western NY Ford Dealer, Shelby Las Vegas covered it all! Now looking for them to cover the roof stipes which are faded,

was not sure why this was not done! Will find out!!

post-27978-126850917416_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone,

I had two questions. The first is about the stripes on the GT 500. I noticed that my car's hood strips are starting to come loose around the hood vents. Is this a common problem? Is this covered by Ford as a warranty issue?

Secondly, what benefit would I get from purchasing an extended service plan for my car? I don't have many miles on my car (224) and have not experienced any issues, including problems with the clutch/flywheel which appears to be common for the 2007-2009 GT 500's. My powertrain warranty is 5 years/60,000 miles. The 72 month ESP plans I have been looking at only add 12 months and no miles to my present warranty. Because of this, should I even bother looking at the ESP?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

post-27978-126850917416_thumb.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree 100% - Details, please. :headscratch:

After my original 3 year Bumper to Bumper is over this one takes over for 4 more years and covers everything the original warrenty covers ands its from Ford.

Only covers up to 36000 miles but I drive 2000 miles per year so no problem-Plus its transferable to another owner.

Sarge

post-26635-126851049392_thumb.jpg

post-26635-126851049392_thumb.jpg

I haven't picked up the extended warranty on the SGT yet, but I did on my sportrac. I shopped on line at various Ford dealers and then went in to my local dealer and showed the GM the best price I could get. He offered me $50 over his cost for the Premium coverage which covers everything that can go wrong with a $50 deductible. It was an inexpensive policy, relatively speaking.

The extended warranties are like anything else: You can negotiate a price all the way down to dealer cost. It's best never to buy them at the time of the car purchase, however. Go back later and talk to the Mgr. or somone at a level that's not working off commission. The dealer is apt to make a deal on the warranty just to get you to keep coming back for service...just be sure and negotiate.

John

Archived