TEAM SHELBY FORUM

This is supposed to be a 2011 car...

GO-SVT

I was down at the local auto show this morning, and at the Ford display there is a Kona Blue GT500 with "2011 GT500" signs around it. It was locked up tight with the hood down, but then they opened it all up. There was no window sticker on it. I wanted to check the door tag but got distracted and forgot...

I think it's just a 2010 model with blue cam covers. It had the wrong color blower, and I thought the '11's are supposed to be lowered?

Here's pix, what do you guys think?

DSC09796.JPG

DSC09797.JPG

DSC09798.JPG

DSC09801.JPG

DSC09808.JPG

DSC09818.JPG

DSC09830.JPG

DSC09832.JPG

DSC09839.JPG

DSC09840.JPG

I'd say the body might be a 2010 and they popped in the 2011 block/valve covers since I don't believe they have started production yet of the 2011's. You are correct though the supercharger was silver in the SVT reveal 2011 pics. I personally prefer the black SC with the blue valve covers in these pics!!! Great pics either way thanks for sharing.

So far I think the pictures we have seen have been all SVT package. Maybe the SVT package cars will have a silver blower and the non SVT package cars the black blower. This makes no sense to me at all, as it would be one more thing for the factroy to keep track of for no real reason, but that is all I can think of.

Or maybe they simply hadn't committed to which it would be when the built the preproduction cars for the show circuit.

2011MY has the thin over the top stripes

I understand that the 2011 MY, without the SVT package, has the same wider stripes as found on the 2010 and before. The narrower stripes are reserved for the SVT package only, along with other options in the package. This car certainly appears to be a standard Shelby. Love those wheels. Big improvement over the 2007 wheels. Can't wait to take delivery on mine this spring!

From Ford Media's 2011 GT500 website: "* The addition of Electric Power Assist Steering (EPAS), a new optional SVT Performance Package, enhanced convertible rigidity and a lowered ride height contribute to improved driving dynamics and handling"

That seems to indicate that all packages, SVT Performance Pak or not, have "lowered ride height". This car has the 4x4 look on the rear like my '08 does. For a "lowered" car, that back fender/wheelwell area sure looks high above the tire's edge?

Interesting also, they had a black "2011 Mustang 5.0" there, but it was locked up tight and they refused to open the hood. I'm 99% sure that these cars are not the "Real deal" I figured that GT was just a '10 model with 5.0 badges on it. I think they do these things for "displays" at the small regional shows versus the big ones like Detroit, New York and Chicago.

More than likely it is a pre-production car. It has all of the '11 features: rear headrests are updated, no power steering pump, heated seat buttons, blue valve covers. The only thing different is the blower color.. Only the PP cars will be lowered, "base" cars are the same. And as they always say "specifications are subject to change at any time"

Interesting also, they had a black "2011 Mustang 5.0" there, but it was locked up tight and they refused to open the hood. I'm 99% sure that these cars are not the "Real deal" I figured that GT was just a '10 model with 5.0 badges on it. I think they do these things for "displays" at the small regional shows versus the big ones like Detroit, New York and Chicago.

That black 5.0 had the hood open when I was there yesterday afternoon, and it looked legit. The new 5.0 is one very nice looking engine, even if I have a nitpicky attitude about the plastic cover suggesting airflow in the opposite direction it actually goes. I am a pureist (but still think the 5.0 is a major HOMERUN!)

The only real question is what color will the blower be on the 2011's? Time will tell....

Somebody, please....see if you can get a shot of the rear differential cover. A ribbed, cast aluminum, is rumored to be included on the 2011 models but I've yet to see it...

Tob

So it sounds like the non-SVT package 2011 Shelby will have exactly the same exterior as the 2010 MY. The SVT will have the thin stripes, be lowered and have the new style wheels...

More than likely it is a pre-production car. It has all of the '11 features: rear headrests are updated, no power steering pump, heated seat buttons, blue valve covers. The only thing different is the blower color.. Only the PP cars will be lowered, "base" cars are the same. And as they always say "specifications are subject to change at any time"

Exactly.

It has the "new" fluids too.

Chris,

Edumacate me on this? Your reply caught my interest, and I asked my good friend who just picked up a '10 model last week what color are the fluids in the tanks and his are yellow like my '08. What is different about the "new fluids"?

That black 5.0 had the hood open when I was there yesterday afternoon, and it looked legit. The new 5.0 is one very nice looking engine, even if I have a nitpicky attitude about the plastic cover suggesting airflow in the opposite direction it actually goes. I am a pureist (but still think the 5.0 is a major HOMERUN!)

The only real question is what color will the blower be on the 2011's? Time will tell....

That's so odd!!! They were willing to open up the GT500, but they flat out refused to unlock or open the hood on that black car. I really wanted to check out the glass roof from the inside up-close, but they said no, they were not going to unlock that car. I wonder what was up with that.

Was the guy on the Ford stage still calling it the "Greater Minneapolis Auto Show?" That made me LOL when I heard it. I guess these towns all do look the same!!!!

Where did you hear that only the SVT Pack cars are going to be lowered? Just wondering....

It would be interesting to see if they stick black blowers on early models to use up old stock. Ford's done things like that before...

That's so odd!!! They were willing to open up the GT500, but they flat out refused to unlock or open the hood on that black car. I really wanted to check out the glass roof from the inside up-close, but they said no, they were not going to unlock that car. I wonder what was up with that.

Was the guy on the Ford stage still calling it the "Greater Minneapolis Auto Show?" That made me LOL when I heard it. I guess these towns all do look the same!!!!

I was there about 5PM in the aftenoon, and they had the hood up when I walked up to it. The GT500 hood was also up, but the car was locked. I didn't hear the Greater Minneapolis Auto Show, but I would have been laughing pretty hard if I did.

I was at the Chicago show Monday, and they had the GT500 Aluminum engine cutaway. That was fun to examine closely. It had the silver supercharger on it.

Where did you hear that only the SVT Pack cars are going to be lowered? Just wondering....

It would be interesting to see if they stick black blowers on early models to use up old stock. Ford's done things like that before...

As far as I know the SVT Pack was only cars going to be lowered.... Thats just because it comes with the suspension upgrade.

But for the price of the upgrade you can get your self a nice kit your self.

Pretty sure the Silver painted Blower (ugly IMHO) is part of the SVTPP only, the non SVTPP will still have the black blower, just my view.

And as far as lowered or not, who's to say that "lowerd" does not refer to comparison to the GT and V6 model, or even 1/4" is technially lowered, the SVTPP has the 20" wheels which gives the illusion of lowerd ride height even if the tire overall height remain the same. Either way small small details, remember the 07 show GT500 ended up being nothing like the production car, big deal.

I hope you are right about the Non SVTPP blower being black, think the combo of black blower with blue valve covers looks sweet compared to silver.

This is possible, but I would be pretty surprised. If it is the same exact blower, I can't imagine Ford would want to spend the $$$ to have two different engines going into GT500's just for a diffrent paint color on the blower. Plus the parts system would have to have a seperate part number, etc... thru the whole parts system.

It might still be true, but I would be surprised.

I read this on autoblog

"Getting any high-powered car to accelerate, stop or turn is highly dependent on the adhesion between the tire and the road surface, especially when it's wet. SVT has adopted the latest generation Goodyear F1 supercar tires for the 2011 GT500, which Hameedi says are "a major step" beyond the previous version in both wet and dry grip. With the reduced mass on the front axle, SVT has also modified the spring and damper rates on both base and Performance Package models. The latter version gets 20.5-percent stiffer front springs and 9.5-percent tighter rears that also bring the front end 11 millimeters closer to the road and the rear 8 mm lower."

Your results may very....

Archived