TEAM SHELBY FORUM

air filter

iamlightning03

hi all; just got back from the dealer where i bought my car. told em i need an air filter for my 2010gt500. guy behind the counter stalls me for a couple minutes, and then tells me he does not have one,(or anybody else). so i ask him how much--i hope your sitting down--$127.67. i about fell over. i started thinking to myself doesnt he know who i am .

i meen i just spent $50,000 here. amazing. i think im going with ford racing. does anyone know if the blue filter has the proper wire screen in it. thanks.

I am going to go with the FR filter also.........................looks good with grabber.

I put on the blue ford racing filter.

I don't remember it having a screen inside...is that important? (I haven't driven the car yet with the filter on)

KB

I have been running a K&N with no MAF screen and the car is running perfect, I have had absolutely zero drivability issues with it and the car pulls like a fricking raped ape. Pretty sure the FRPP filter does have the screen though

Ive been uisng KNs for a long time--but last year had an issue of getting to much oil thru the filter into the MAF unit,and car had major starting problem.So if you use KN dont put too much oil on the filter---PS--what code KN are you using??

Those Ford blue ones look great, but aren't they one time use only? Meaning, you can't clean them and re-oil. For $50 JLT will sell you one that you can clean and use forever.

Yes they are 1 time use, but a 49$ for FRP filter is better than 127.00 for a stock filter........lol

JLT should have replacement Powerstacked reusable filters for the 2010 GT500 in a few weeks.

how many miles did it take to fill the filter up---does KN have one yet??

at 3700 miles the yellow filter is starting to look dirty so i took it off to have a look .low and behold , the bottom of the filter by the ram air tube is just cacked with crud. yuck!

Here you go boys... The absolute CHEAPEST on the web... AND - YES, it fits on the 2010 GT500, its installed on my car now, and has the metal screen too.

http://www.blueovali...hp?pid=99013721

thanks goldgus.

+1

Wondering about that too. Do you have that many miles on your car to warrant a filter change already?

my suggestion is everyone pull their filter and inspect.you cant see the gunk when its in the housing.

Ive been uisng KNs for a long time--but last year had an issue of getting to much oil thru the filter into the MAF unit,and car had major starting problem.So if you use KN dont put too much oil on the filter---PS--what code KN are you using??

I will have to dig up what part number it was, there is a thread on here from January detailing the install and pics and part number, it's actually from my FIPK kit from my 5.4L Expedition, I got lucky and it fit perfectly.

I think it pretty much goes without saying that when using any type of air filter that you are required to oil, that you ensure you are folwing the directions corretly and do not oversaturate the filter otherwise you will have MAF contamination issues.

Edit: Here is the part number for the K&N I used, it is just ever so slightly too big at the flange, maybe 1/8" but the clamp sinches it down perfect., its got kinda a rubber flange.

http://store.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RC-5046

In looking for the K&N air filter code,came across this analysis of aftermarket filters.Man IUve been a big K&N beleiver for years, ill have to re-think this.Any thoughts--heres the link

http://www.duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

Thanks for the link. Very interesting results.

I used K&N for a short time years and years ago. I just found it not worth using for me personally and I hated cleaning & oiling that thing. So I'll always use the traditional types from now on.

Here are some pictures from the replacement filter that Jay will have online for the 2010 soon. He also is trying some bigger filters and working on a new bigger CAI Kit so stay tuned for new informations or look at Team Shelby JLT Performance or go online at his webside JLT Performance!

DSC_0157.JPG

DSC_0225.JPG

DSC_0157.JPG

DSC_0225.JPG

Oil on the MAF is from over oiling a filter.

S&B sends out detailed instructions on how to oil the filter as well as a DVD showing how.

Oiled filters have been used for years and on hundreds of thousands of cars.

These filters flow much better then stock paper filters and at $50-60 each are cheaper as well. So if over oiling is a concern you can save money and buy a better flowing filter everytime :)

Jay

thanks for all the great posts, very informative. but back to my original post. i wanted to change my filter because it was dirty. i dont care if it only had 100 miles on it , if its dirty im changing it. with that being said ; flow vs. filtration ; im more interested in a filter that does just that filter . i think i can spare a couple of horespower , as long as its not from a dirty air filter. lol.

Archived